`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good set to purchase for 2011?

RE: Good set to purchase for 2011?
No no no, we're all thinking like collectors here. We need to think like his kids will be 20 years from now. They'd look at a set like A&G or Gypsy Queen and wonder "Why do these cards look funny?" The best representation of 2011 has to be either Topps flagship or Bowman.

It's odd how it works out, but Topps flagship designs really seem to capture the year as a whole. Look at 1975 Topps for example. Does that not scream mid-70's? Bright colors, funky hair, it's perfect. Or even 1990 Topps. For some reason that totally captures the gaudy trends and styles of the early 90's. Looking at 2011 Topps I don't see anything special right now, but 20 years from now I'm sure it'll be a good representation of the year.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(01-03-2014, 02:48 AM)cross4444 Wrote: No no no, we're all thinking like collectors here. We need to think like his kids will be 20 years from now. They'd look at a set like A&G or Gypsy Queen and wonder "Why do these cards look funny?" The best representation of 2011 has to be either Topps flagship or Bowman.

It's odd how it works out, but Topps flagship designs really seem to capture the year as a whole. Look at 1975 Topps for example. Does that not scream mid-70's? Bright colors, funky hair, it's perfect. Or even 1990 Topps. For some reason that totally captures the gaudy trends and styles of the early 90's. Looking at 2011 Topps I don't see anything special right now, but 20 years from now I'm sure it'll be a good representation of the year.
I like your thinking Cross4444 and I appreciate everyone's input!

Happy Collecting
[Image: Zg60sg4.png]

2011 Gypsy Queen was my favorite!
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

I like cross4444's idea but I'd go with a Bowman set (Bowman, Chrome or Draft). 2011 was loaded for rookies and prospects in my opinion so you can't go wrong and there is potential for some solid hits and nice colored refractor hits. I thought the card design of them looked really nice as well.

(01-03-2014, 02:48 AM)cross4444 Wrote: No no no, we're all thinking like collectors here. We need to think like his kids will be 20 years from now. They'd look at a set like A&G or Gypsy Queen and wonder "Why do these cards look funny?" The best representation of 2011 has to be either Topps flagship or Bowman.

I have to agree on this. There are many other great looking sets but the flagship set is symbolic of the year.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-06-2014, 04:12 PM)zeprock Wrote: I have to agree on this. There are many other great looking sets but the flagship set is symbolic of the year.
+5000
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Chris has a good point.
The regular 2011 Topps Series 1 & 2 are great ... And you can probably pick up a cheap factory set (they were part of the Topps contest / giveaway that year. I'd assume in great supply) the cards were nicely designed.
But I would make a superset and include 2011 update .... Mike Trout Rookie, Paul Goldschmidt Rookie, Todd Frasier Rookie .... Some good players in there that will hopefully be ending their great careers around the time your twins are 18-20!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I would definitely go for the platinum set. Classy with high end finish.
French RedSox Fan & Baseball cards collectors.
Sketch card fan.
Last Packs opened:
2 boxes of mars attacks: the revenge => 1 artist auto, 1 medallion & 2 silvers.

Next Packs:
nothing in sight

People I dealt with: card_fiend2013 ; rack85