`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How cool

How cool
How cool would it be if card companies like Topps started to add a smartphone icon that could be scanned on the back of the cards which then would automatically put the card and pic in a catalogue of your cards/My org?

RE: How cool
(12-19-2013, 07:18 AM)jcollyer Wrote: How cool would it be if card companies like Topps started to add a smartphone icon that could be scanned on the back of the cards which then would automatically put the card and pic in a catalogue of your cards/My org?
jmo, I don't have any kind of phone, so it would make no difference to me. But, I can see how, IF someone had a smartphone, it would be pretty cool. However, I think that this topic has been brought up before and it was decided that it would be too costly.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I think it would be awesome. I don't see how it could be too costly, there are millions of free apps for smart phones it wouldn't be hard to come up with something like that.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

yeah, I've thought it would be cool if cards included a QR code (or something like that) for the same reasons you mentioned. That, or just have some card-recognition app. It wouldn't be that hard to do if someone had access to pics of the entire checklist for a particular set.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I wouldn't want a QR code. They've been on the decline for a while and are almost a dead technology. 20 years from now I don't want to look at those ugly things taking up real estate on my card.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

Almost as cool as if Topps started putting our higher quality products consistently.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

A while back I thought of something similar. You could have the QR code on the back. You scan it, and it would show highlights from last year, or his entire career. or a short little interview, a "get to know the player" kinda thing. I always thought that would be better than those video cards they had for a while.

(12-19-2013, 11:09 PM)mnc99 Wrote: A while back I thought of something similar. You could have the QR code on the back. You scan it, and it would show highlights from last year, or his entire career. or a short little interview, a "get to know the player" kinda thing. I always thought that would be better than those video cards they had for a while.
yeah, whether a QR code (or something less intrusive), I think there's a lot of room for exploration in that department. Scan your card and "Win a Prize!" or whatever.

---Edit: I knew this rang a bell. Came across this old thread:
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-146...ht=QR+code
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

(12-19-2013, 09:45 PM)cross4444 Wrote: I wouldn't want a QR code. They've been on the decline for a while and are almost a dead technology. 20 years from now I don't want to look at those ugly things taking up real estate on my card.
Ditto!!!

(12-20-2013, 12:32 AM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Oddly enough it appears as though Leaf is doing that, as some of the cards (the newer ones) in the recently released Leaf Memories set have QR codes on the back.
[Image: ejpc_0006.jpg]

On a sidenote, I haven't scanned a Q.R code since 2007 when I was on the verge of obtaining a buy 1 Coke get 1 Coke free coupon. And I don't intend to do anymore scanning in the future (I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it on my iPhone).
Yeah, maybe the time for QR Codes has passed, but surely Topps could create an app (and partner with Beckett??) that would allow a user to scan/recognize a card. I can't imagine it would be hard to do for new releases going forward. Plus, I imagine it would be pretty cool to allow users to assemble an itunes album-like catalog of their collection. Something you could scroll through like a rolodex (or itunes catalog).