`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
future of high end rookie cards

future of high end rookie cards
Well I have collected cards since the beginning of the 90's and the market is ever changing.
When I began buying/selling/trading basketball cards many were very overproduced and therefore worth very little. There were not many "high end" cards and when there was you would typically not see them due to rarity and lack of internet sales those days.

Flash forward to today, 1/1s, patches, autographs, and very expensive prices. Exquisite redefined high end when they came out with most singles limited to 99 or 225. Panini took over and tried to pick up where exquisite left off with a similar set in national treasures. These cards were driven in price due to their great patch design and scarcity and when available THE rookie card to get of a specific player.
Well, this year Panini has decided to throw in a couple wild cards with late releases such as flawless and immaculate. From what I understand the sales for both of these sets have been doing quite well most likely increasing chances for Panini to do similar releases in the future.
Pretty much does anyone see Panini killing its own company?? You now have multiple competing high end sets killing the market. A few years ago if I wanted the highest end steph curry it was obviously the nt rap numbered to only 99. It kept the price stable seeing as there were only 99 and nothing competitive. Now if I want any rookie from the latest crop, lets say Anthony davis, I have a NT RAP /199, a flawless (rare numbered to 20 I believe) a few immaculate RAPS, and some silhouettes to chose from.
Over production has always driven the prices of cards down as evidence of the multitude of jersey patch cards out there today.

Now do you see the latest trends as a good thing (haha I collect the brow and can more easily acquire him?) or a bad thing such as the prices are being driven down and if the companies continue this overproduction of "high end" cards can you even consider them high end anymore?

Kinda long and rambly but thanks for your time
Stupid people do stupid things
Smart people outsmart each other.