`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacramento Kings fan here. Just have to vent a little on IP autos.

Sacramento Kings fan here. Just have to vent a little on IP autos.
OK, a couple of things before "the rant."

As a native Sacramentan, I have been a HUGE Kings fan since they moved to Sacramento in 1985.

Obviously I am ecstatic that they did not move to Seattle (or Anaheim), and I will forever be grateful to Mayor Kevin Johnson and the new ownership group for keeping them out here.

OK, now the rant.

As a card collector, one of my very favorite things to do these last three or four years was to go these free signings that the Kings would have, roughly one a month or so during the season, at one of their sponsors' places of business.

I've gotten on-card autos of Tyreke Evans (the year he went 20-5-5 and won Rookie of the Year, the line at Carl's Jr. was around the block!), DeMarcus Cousins, Hassan Whiteside, Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Thornton and Jimmer Fredette.

Jimmer's was the only one I had to spend any money on, because it was through his agents and you had to spend $20 at the sporting goods store he was signing at.

So, basically, it wasn't an official "team" signing. No problem with that.

Last year, however, I waited ... and waited ... and waited ... for Thomas Robinson to have a signing.

Finally, he was supposed to sign at a cafe in Sacramento in February — so, for the first time, I actually took my 6-year-old son with me.

He waited very patiently, never complained ... and Robinson got traded to Houston that same night and never showed up.

Suffice it to say, my son was very upset.

(The team did offer us tickets to a game, although we couldn't make it, so I'm OK with the gesture at least.)

OK, so, since then, the Kings have drafted Ben McLemore, and I literally have been checking the website every day to see if he would have a signing.

Well, guess what — he has one tomorrow night!

As in, the night before Thanksgiving.

AND, you have to spend $35 at the store he's signing at.

Per signature.

So, essentially, I'd have to battle insane holiday traffic on I-80 East for the better part of three or four hours or so, not to mention that since we're hosting Thanksgiving, there's NO WAY my wife would let me out of the house ... and equally NO WAY she'd be OK with spending $70 for me and my son to get his autograph.

I really, really hope this isn't the new business model from the new owners going forward, because it was truly one of my very favorite hobby-oriented things to do.

OK, that's my rant. I'm excited about Derrick Williams, though.

By the way, if there are any other Kings fans on the boards who may be attending this signing, PM me and I'll make it worth your while if you can get a card signed for me.

Thanks! RJ