`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty Darn Good Update break for the Retail King!

Pretty Darn Good Update break for the Retail King!
So I've been in a pretty major slump lately, pulling mostly unremarkable stuff out of Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome.

I saw some 2013 Topps Update at the LWM tonight, so I grabbed two blasters and four of those 72-card hanger packs for $9.99 apiece.

My two patch cards were rookie reprints of Will Clark and Carl Crawford, so OK there.

On to the scans. Even though they're not my thing, a couple of nice minis for the PC:

[Image: Pweeg2_zps5b802a7f.jpg]

Then, some nice color on the Bryce HR card and the Machado AS card, as well as some Pweegs:

[Image: Pweeg1_zps077ce7e6.jpg]

And then, I couldn't believe it — my first and only Goldie hit!

[Image: Pweeg3_zps49200b59.jpg]

So, you know, uh, thanks for looking and I'll talk to you soon.

Oh wait — one more here, is that a chubby in your pocket? (This is funny if you've seen "Black Sheep").

Yep, pulled this, too ...

[Image: Pweeg4_zps22f4af47.jpg]

Yasiel Puig gold RC/2013!!!

As I write this it looks like the Dodgers are all done for the year, so I think I'm calling it quits on baseball as well.

RE: Pretty Darn Good Update break for the Retail King!
Where do you guys get these boxes?!
[Image: XjsuPlx.jpg]

(10-18-2013, 10:13 PM)fgarvis Wrote: Where do you guys get these boxes?!
I got these from my local Walmart (LWM) ... just got them in today I believe.

Congrats!!! How's that Clark look?

(10-18-2013, 11:12 PM)decriscio619 Wrote: Congrats!!! How's that Clark look?
It's the 86 Topps Traded.

So $80 plus tax, about what a Jumbo box goes for online with no tax, I'd say you did okay.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(10-18-2013, 11:52 PM)cross4444 Wrote: So $80 plus tax, about what a Jumbo box goes for online with no tax, I'd say you did okay.
I'm thrilled, honestly ... been caught up in Puig mania and didn't have much have to show for it.

The thing is, I know the card won't book for that much ($25-30, maybe?), but it's one of those "degree of difficulty" cards, i.e. a pretty tough pull, that makes it worth it to me.

The gold Puig? They're going for $10 to $15 online which I think is undervalued.
You got the REAL rookie card which I think should make it worth a lot more than the other two Puig base cards. People are paying for the pro debut "RC" like it's a real rookie card and even the checklist card (which I got the gold version of) is selling too well. I'd hold onto if I were you, that's too cool to let go.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

(10-19-2013, 12:17 AM)cross4444 Wrote: The gold Puig? They're going for $10 to $15 online which I think is undervalued.
You got the REAL rookie card which I think should make it worth a lot more than the other two Puig base cards. People are paying for the pro debut "RC" like it's a real rookie card and even the checklist card (which I got the gold version of) is selling too well. I'd hold onto if I were you, that's too cool to let go.
Yea the golds don't seem to have the sell value one would think they should ( talking about golds in general not just Puig). Congrats RJ pretty sweet pull especially since you collect him. Did you see the sweet camo Myers I pulled?
[Image: OKimtze.png]

(10-19-2013, 01:33 AM)minitracer Wrote: Yea the golds don't seem to have the sell value one would think they should ( talking about golds in general not just Puig). Congrats RJ pretty sweet pull especially since you collect him. Did you see the sweet camo Myers I pulled?
Yes sir, very nice hit!

Again, men, like I said ... I know the Puig gold doesn't book/sell for that much.

But look at it this way ... there are 330 cards in the update set, and you get exactly ONE gold/2013 in each hanger pack.

I bought a total of four, so if you look at it that way, I had a 4:330 chance of pulling that card, assuming there were no dupes.

The math works out to a 1.2 percent chance of pulling the Puig.

Personally, I like the emeralds better, as the golds tend to get a little chippy, but I am definitely not complaining.

And obviously, hobby is always a better deal than retail, but then again, go back and look at ALL the Update breaks on the boards so far ... I haven't seen any other gold Puigs from hobby OR retail.

Just to illustrate a point, my other three golds out of the hanger packs were Bryan Petersen, Mike Carp and Aaron Harang.

So yeah, Pweeg tends to stand out just a wee bit there, LOL.