`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fake 1/1 A's from 2005 Absolute? Damon/Chavez/Dye/Ellis

fake 1/1 A's from 2005 Absolute? Damon/Chavez/Dye/Ellis
I checked the Beckett database and saw there is no 1/1 for the Oakland A's Team Quad double prime swatch cards. Yet I've come across what seems to be a post-prod restamping of a double prime spectrum (black) card. It's weird, as the database states serially numbered cards are to 5 copies at the lowest- not 1 copy. The numbers are in the wrong area as well, compared to where the machine typically stamps.

On top of that, there is a "Donruss Special Edition" stamp that is covering Damon's bat pose, normally where the machine serial # stamp goes.

Now, I'm confused as I am a Damon collector, so I thought I had all copies that could possibly exist but now see that there is a rogue 1/1 card.

Do you think it is from a Prime Cuts buyback or something? Or just a counterfeit? Or real? Maybe Beckett did not get the full checklist in 2005...hmmm

(10-15-2013, 11:43 AM)marcmapex Wrote: I checked the Beckett database and saw there is no 1/1 for the Oakland A's Team Quad double prime swatch cards. Yet I've come across what seems to be a post-prod restamping of a double prime spectrum (black) card. It's weird, as the database states serially numbered cards are to 5 copies at the lowest- not 1 copy. The numbers are in the wrong area as well, compared to where the machine typically stamps.

On top of that, there is a "Donruss Special Edition" stamp that is covering Damon's bat pose, normally where the machine serial # stamp goes.

Now, I'm confused as I am a Damon collector, so I thought I had all copies that could possibly exist but now see that there is a rogue 1/1 card.

Do you think it is from a Prime Cuts buyback or something? Or just a counterfeit? Or real? Maybe Beckett did not get the full checklist in 2005...hmmm
One #'rd to 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Absolute-Te...3675418%26

one #'rd to 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-ABSOLUTE-TE...9702069%26

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: fake 1/1 A's from 2005 Absolute? Damon/Chavez/Dye/Ellis
I don't think it was originally packed out with 2005 Absolute. Card companies make non-serial numbered versions to use as replacements for damaged cards. They could have used the non-serial numbered one to create a "Special Edition" that they put into a product a year or so later (sort of like a buy-back). By the same stand-point when a company goes bankrupt the non-serial numbered replacement cards easily make it into the open market. So someone could have just added the 1/1 and "Donruss Special Edition" stamp afterwards. It's tough to say, unless someone else knows anything about the "Donruss Special Edition" stamp and whether it was really done by Donruss.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Could have been a card from one of the shows back in the day, but those are listed in beckett

the seller assures authenticity. Yeah, if it was something like a Chicago Sun Times post-prod stamp I would believe it to be categorized. Maybe it is, but under a different year. I have some from '02-'03, but not '05.

It could be a replacement card for something like a redemption in products years later, but at least from what I can tell it is not technically being categorized as a 2005 card. I think I'll call my rainbow complete without paying $200+ for this card (if it had a sweet Damon patch I would reconsider though)

Well if you compare it to the other , there would be no way remove the stamp 4/5 and replace with 1/1

Could be from a conference or tradeshow where Donruss gave out "black box" style packages to dealers with special versions of existing cards i.e. 1/1 parallels, die-cuts and autographed versions. Companies have been doing that sort of thing for years. Panini still does.

Or it could even be an internal special edition card. I know employees get these kinds of things all the time. And employee issued cards wouldn't make the database because they're not a "release" or on a checklist.

No offense to A's collectors but i doubt it's faked because that seems like alot of work for a few $100 sale on eBay. Not like it's faking a 1/1 on a Mantle/Gehrig/Ruth/Jeter quad or something.
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics