`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
why i hate magnetic cases

why i hate magnetic cases
i received a contenders kaepernick auto rookie card in the mail yesterday...was happy to get it...then i decided to take a closer look at the card, as it seemed to be a little tight fit on the magnetic holder it was in.

when i took the case cover off, the card just sat there, didn't move...and i thought...uh oh...

the card was stuck to the raised edge and the back of the card had an indention running across the bottom.

i messaged the seller, here's the response I got "I'M SORRY THAT YOU ARE STATING THE CARD IS DAMAGED. BUT AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE PHOTO THAT CARD HAS NEVER BEEN OUT OF ITS HOLDER. THE CARD WAS IS A SMALL BUBBLE WRAP ENVELOPE AND SHIPED IN A LARGER ENVELOPE. I'M AN HONEST SELLER AND WOULD NEVER SELL DAMAGED GOODS UNLESS DISCLOSED...IVE USED THESE HOLDERS AND THERE IS NO WAY THAT CARD MOVED IN THE HOLDER THE WAY IS WAS PACKAGED."

Here's the problem though...if the seller never took it out of it's holder, then how did he/she know it wasn't damaged before sending the card to me? I opened the case once...to take it out of the case...and i know i didn't cause the damage.

This is what the auction picture showed:
 photo kaepernickautoincase2_zps891a118b.jpg
If the seller didn't take it out, and I didn't take it out, then the logical explanation is that the person he/she bought it from had done the damage and the seller didn't properly inspect it prior to selling it to me.

the seller refuses to take it back...

RE: why i hate magnetic cases
From the sounds of it, it sounds like when the card was put into the case, it caught that lip on the side, and the top was forced closed. I've noticed when putting cards into those that if it doesn't close, that means the card isn't sitting right, and that you don't force it closed. The seller probably put it into the case, and when it was put in, it was in perfect condition. They probably never looked at it again since it was fine when they put it in, even though the process of putting it in the case might have damaged it. I've got numerous of the magnetic cases, and I've not had any of them get damaged in the case once they are in it, since they really can't move all that much. I've even had cards shipped in them and not had problems. I don't know if they picture is enough to show if there was damage, but it does sound strange that he states that "the card has never been out of the case, as the picture shows".... How does the picture show it's never been out of the case?

File with Ebay and they will make him refund the money once you send the item back.
[Image: arod.gif]

I bought a pretty spend card off eBay one time and it shipped in a one touch. Upon inspection, I saw that on the inside of the case, the plastic was not molded right or it was not trimmed right. There was a piece of plastic jutting out from the inside of the case and put a nice little dent on the card.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

THAT BITES.
COLLECT DALLAS COWBOYS, MICHIGAN WOLVERINES IN COLLEGE UNI, KELVIN BENJAMIN JASON WITTEN & 2012 TOPPS CHROME DEMARCUS WARE RAINBOW (WANTS MARKED).

Yeah, I gave him a chance to respond, then when he did respond that way, I filed the case. I'm sending the item back to him tomorrow. He's a little calmer now that he's had some time to think about it. I think cooler heads will hopefully prevail.
(10-10-2013, 02:33 PM)arod1973 Wrote: File with Ebay and they will make him refund the money once you send the item back.
You're probably right. The picture looks okay, but he could have taken it out and then forced it closed later. I have a picture of the card after it was received and taken out, but I have it on my other computer, so I'll upload that later. You can see that it's the case that did the damage. I always think that it's better to use a slightly bigger case, that way if it's moving around a little, it's okay...just not to the point where it's moving too much.
(10-10-2013, 02:08 PM)bojesphob Wrote: From the sounds of it, it sounds like when the card was put into the case, it caught that lip on the side, and the top was forced closed.

ouch bro! Sorry to hear about this. But if I were you I'd open a claim with ebay. IF he's such a GREAT AND HONEST seller, than he should be willing to take it back regardless of the reason, that's part of being a business (which he probably technically isn't, but if you SELL stuff I'm considering you one lol).
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

I have always been an advocate against magnetics/screwdown holders. I have seen 1st hand the damage they can cause after years of being in them. They may seem tight but movement happens especially in travel. Anytime I get a card in that's in one I automatically inspect it (I inspect all cards but especially them) and it goes right into a penny sleeve and toploader. They look nice but too many problems can happen. I've had a couple that had gotten moisture in them over the years to where when I took them out they peeled part of the card with them. They are not air tight and they do not completely seal. Magnets have a small amount of play in them.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

But look at the top edge of your photo ... seems to be enough "air" on that side.

This card was not damaged by putting it in the case — much more likely, the owner before the person who sold it to you damaged it somehow.

I know that Contenders often do not fit in magnet cases ... too wide by about a 16th of an inch for some reason.

And good lord, I pretty much ONLY go with magnets these days ... much better than some of my trading or ebay buddies who like to absolutely freaking "white out" the bottom right corner EVERY time they put the card in a penny sleeve.

I've received WAY more cards with chips — especially in that spot — than with not.

If/when I do put a card in a penny sleeve, I always make a small half-inch cut along the right side edge so the card can slide in cleanly.

I always put cards in a magnetic case that is a size larger than the card would normally take, because it gives enough room where the card wont "stick" to the case itself, which commonly happens when you put a card into a super tight case
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]