Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerns over appraisal services
Bug 
Concerns over appraisal services
I just recently had my 2009 sp signature signature ROY Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis Auto appraised and the charge was $15. The card is PSA 10 and the card is also #4 of 10. I am trying to figure how in the world the appraisal came out to be $175. To date and through much research this it the only one that is graded let alone graded at a 10. For there to be such a limited production 2 elite players and a grading of a 10 they claim the such assessing is accurate. No frig'n way they found the price I paid for and that was the appraisal as they looked at the price it sold for on ebay which was the only time it sold on ebay. I am highly disappointed. I thought being that the other cards graded in which are 10's of mine gained value a 10 for signature Adrian Peterson/Patrick Willis 4/10 would actually have increased value due to the limited amount out there. Could someone explain to me why a mint card would have no effect in value with the given such a rare and only one in which has been graded to a 10 be false represented research for an appraisal. Has anyone else had issues????

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Concerns over appraisal services
I am no expert, so please take what I say as my own, amateur opinion. Also, please forgive me if I start to sound condescending, that is not intended, but my wife would tell you that I do it too often. Big Grin

I think that you have to think about what the point of the service is, in this case it is to appraise the card's value. As I have learned, the value of something is simply what someone is willing to pay for it. An appraisal is simply determining what that value is.

When an appraiser is trying to determine the value of something, they use several methods. For example, a real estate appraiser uses information based on the cost to replace as well as information from sales of comparable property. I think it would be no different in the case of this card. In order to arrive at a value for your card, the appraiser has to use the information available (in your case, the information on the ebay sale). If there has only ever been 1 sale of the card, then I would think that is the substantiated value of the card.

As far as the rarity of a graded #/10 card, I don't think that alone would effect the value that much. Right now, there are ungraded Adrian Peterson 1/1s on ebay that have BIN's under $100. So the value of those would be whatever amount they are sold for, regardless of whether they are graded afterwards. Your value of $175 for a PSA 10 of that card would probably be the highest value for any of those 10 cards. If the other 9 are graded and let's say they all come in under a 10, then you should expect the value of your card to be superior to all of those others. Let's say that subsequently one of those other 9 cards sells for $500. At that point, you could substantiate a value of more than $500 for your card based on the grade.

I wouldn't get too disappointed about the appraisal. Values change over time and with your card being a 10, you're ahead of the game for any rise in value for that card in particular. This is the bright side, so keep looking at it.

I used to get excited to pull 1/1s and other low print run cards, until I started getting a better grasp on the actual value of those. Just remember, if no one will pay $X for something, then it's not worth $X.

I hope I helped and, again, please forgive me if I came off the wrong way.
[Image: BRANDONcopy_zpsd5fbbe0f.png]

Special thanks to "DB" for the banner

Single existence examples are hard to appraise for any type of collectible but past history plays a large role in estimating value. The more times it has been turned over the better the estimate. I wouldn't worry about the result, as mentioned in the post above. If you ever decided to part with the card, an avid Peterson fan would pay more, if you were willing to wait for the right buyer to come along and approximate your price.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Cards of multiple players, particularly those picturing players from different teams are simply not as popular as stand alone cards. Further, what you have is not a rookie card or even rookie year card. As such, I think the $175 is a reasonable assessment. Could someone pay more? It's certainly possible but I also would not be shocked if the card sold for less.