`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tier One Theorem

RE: Tier One Theorum
Those are some great pick ups at a fantastic price! You gotta love scoring PC Cards like that.

I'm a gambler and also a bit of an idiot so it makes sense for me to open boxes lol. I should just stick to buying singles but it just isn't as entertaining. The good thing about this year is with the sales that I have made I have probably recouped 65-75% of the money I have spent on wax and I haven't even scratched the surface on the stuff that I could sell. I just don't have the motivation right now.

The Tier One break was a gut punch for sure but you can't win them all.

The worst part about that break was after about the 5th box I got on eBay and was looking at Griffey Jr base autos and they were selling for about 105-110, just over the cost of a box. That almost made me stop opening.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(09-18-2013, 09:00 AM)rollx8 Wrote: DrM...J You make me proud Wink I've been seeing so many people pissing away their hard earned money on busting this ridiculous release & pulling crap to show for it!!! I understand "the itch" to bust or take a chance but its always best to use good business sense like you did......

"I'm always willing to sell magic beans to a wax buster" Wink
Thanks! Glad I can make someone proud Smile
Keep in mind, I really, really like busting boxes, but I really, really hate being taken advantage of. I love the look of Tier One cards, but I feel Topps isn't populating Tier One with great players. I feel that Topps could do better for the price. I know ... they're in it to make money, and I'm here to help Smile But really ... do I need to spend $100 on 3 mediocre cards?
I can do that and have more fun with lower tier products. Smile
I don't expect a bat knob in every pack, but why is Casey Kelly (one of my PC guys) there? He was correctly placed in Bowman Inception, but Tier One? Really?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The annoying thing about these posts, of which there are MANY, is that cards are just one reason we buy boxes. I don't buy boxes with the expectation or even the desire to get any certain "value" out of it in cards. I get card value + entertainment value. That's what I'm paying for. I realize that everyone is in a different financial position. Some people have the money to spend on Five Star or NT and not care if they get a dud. Others are splurging when they buy a rack pack or two.

In any case, it is rather condescending when you imply that other people are just not smart enough to know they should be buying singles instead of boxes. ("Okay, it seems some of you need to be re-educated ..... Use your money a little more wisely.")

You got what you were after for less money than a box.... awesome. Well done! But for me (and I think a whole lot of other people), the cards aren't necessarily the primary reason we buy boxes. They are just ANOTHER reason. It's like when I go to Vegas- I PLAN to lose most of what I bet. If I don't, or end up winning- great! But I don't go in with the expectation of coming out ahead, that's not the reason I go. I go... because it's fun.

(09-18-2013, 02:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: The annoying thing about these posts, of which there are MANY, is that cards are just one reason we buy boxes. I don't buy boxes with the expectation or even the desire to get any certain "value" out of it in cards. I get card value + entertainment value. That's what I'm paying for. I realize that everyone is in a different financial position. Some people have the money to spend on Five Star or NT and not care if they get a dud. Others are splurging when they buy a rack pack or two.

In any case, it is rather condescending when you imply that other people are just not smart enough to know they should be buying singles instead of boxes. ("Okay, it seems some of you need to be re-educated ..... Use your money a little more wisely.")

You got what you were after for less money than a box.... awesome. Well done! But for me (and I think a whole lot of other people), the cards aren't necessarily the primary reason we buy boxes. They are just ANOTHER reason. It's like when I go to Vegas- I PLAN to lose most of what I bet. If I don't, or end up winning- great! But I don't go in with the expectation of coming out ahead, that's not the reason I go. I go... because it's fun.
+1!

(09-18-2013, 10:24 AM)Haze28 Wrote: Those are some great pick ups at a fantastic price! You gotta love scoring PC Cards like that.
I'm a gambler and also a bit of an idiot so it makes sense for me to open boxes lol. I should just stick to buying singles but it just isn't as entertaining. The good thing about this year is with the sales that I have made I have probably recouped 65-75% of the money I have spent on wax and I haven't even scratched the surface on the stuff that I could sell. I just don't have the motivation right now.
The Tier One break was a gut punch for sure but you can't win them all.
The worst part about that break was after about the 5th box I got on eBay and was looking at Griffey Jr base autos and they were selling for about 105-110, just over the cost of a box. That almost made me stop opening.
You're right, you can't win them all. But How many boxes DID you buy? You should be able to get a good box once out of 5!! Right?

Actually, our perspective is all wrong. It shouldn't be a "gamble" ... anything we get should be a "happy surprise" .. .the inherent value of the box of cards (not talking book value) SHOULD be what you pay for it, and anything else, above and beyond, should be a bonus. My problem with Topps is that for $100 for 3 cards, guys like Casey Kelly and Brett Jackson shouldn't be signing. I don't think that there should be a Sandy Koufax auto in every box either, but Topps has a product for prospects (Bowman) and they should take Tier One, Museum & Tribute combine them into one product with all A list and B list current players and past players. Stop diluting the high end with people that haven't played more than 3 games.
I feel that I get my value out of A&G, GQ and Heritage. No matter who I get from an auto or relic, it's always cool to rip into a box, and if you get a really cool auto, it's a bonus, but if not, you still got a good box of cards. Same with Topps Series 1,2 and Update. I never complain about who I get, it's all good. $100 for a Jumbo HTA and you get 500 cards and 1 auto, 2 relics and inserts. It's not a gamble at all .... and every so often you get a "happy surprise" hit. That's the way I think it should be.
(09-18-2013, 02:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: The annoying thing about these posts, of which there are MANY, is that cards are just one reason we buy boxes. I don't buy boxes with the expectation or even the desire to get any certain "value" out of it in cards. I get card value + entertainment value. That's what I'm paying for. I realize that everyone is in a different financial position. Some people have the money to spend on Five Star or NT and not care if they get a dud. Others are splurging when they buy a rack pack or two.
My opinion is you should ALWAYS get a certain value in any product you pay for, unless it's for charity or a lottery ticket.
If I were to buy a box of Oreo Cookies I expect to get a certain cookie in a certain quantity in a certain condition. A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer. I expect the cookies to be the right quantity, not 12 in some boxes and 13 in others. I expect the cookies to be baked and not just cookie dough and filling thrown in a box. It shouldn't be a gamble that one out of 5 boxes weren't the right value ... and it was perceived as a 'gamble' to be lucky enough to get a good box.
If Topps was a charity, I'd have no problem buying $5 autos at 3 for $100 but they aren't a charity, are they? I feel that they're raping the collector when they put 3 crappy autos into a $100 Box. It's bad for collectors, it's bad for the hobby, but it's really good for Topps.
(09-18-2013, 02:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: In any case, it is rather condescending when you imply that other people are just not smart enough to know they should be buying singles instead of boxes. ("Okay, it seems some of you need to be re-educated ..... Use your money a little more wisely.")
I'm condescending? Okay! If you think so.
I'm sarcastic at times and I was called a dickhead once, but never been accused of being condescending. Cool!

Oh, and I'm very proud of you using such a big, big word Smile

Kidding! Joking! Ha-HA?
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(09-18-2013, 05:24 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Actually, our perspective is all wrong. It shouldn't be a "gamble" ... anything we get should be a "happy surprise" .. .the inherent value of the box of cards (not talking book value) SHOULD be what you pay for it, and anything else, above and beyond, should be a bonus. My problem with Topps is that for $100 for 3 cards, guys like Casey Kelly and Brett Jackson shouldn't be signing. I don't think that there should be a Sandy Koufax auto in every box either, but Topps has a product for prospects (Bowman) and they should take Tier One, Museum & Tribute combine them into one product with all A list and B list current players and past players. Stop diluting the high end with people that haven't played more than 3 games.
I feel that I get my value out of A&G, GQ and Heritage. No matter who I get from an auto or relic, it's always cool to rip into a box, and if you get a really cool auto, it's a bonus, but if not, you still got a good box of cards. Same with Topps Series 1,2 and Update. I never complain about who I get, it's all good. $100 for a Jumbo HTA and you get 500 cards and 1 auto, 2 relics and inserts. It's not a gamble at all .... and every so often you get a "happy surprise" hit. That's the way I think it should be.

My opinion is you should ALWAYS get a certain value in any product you pay for, unless it's for charity or a lottery ticket.
If I were to buy a box of Oreo Cookies I expect to get a certain cookie in a certain quantity in a certain condition. A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer. I expect the cookies to be the right quantity, not 12 in some boxes and 13 in others. I expect the cookies to be baked and not just cookie dough and filling thrown in a box. It shouldn't be a gamble that one out of 5 boxes weren't the right value ... and it was perceived as a 'gamble' to be lucky enough to get a good box.
If Topps was a charity, I'd have no problem buying $5 autos at 3 for $100 but they aren't a charity, are they? I feel that they're raping the collector when they put 3 crappy autos into a $100 Box. It's bad for collectors, it's bad for the hobby, but it's really good for Topps.
+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

(09-18-2013, 02:08 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: You got what you were after for less money than a box.... awesome. Well done! But for me (and I think a whole lot of other people), the cards aren't necessarily the primary reason we buy boxes.
I thought that was THE primary reason to buy a box of cards? isn't it for ... cards?

(09-18-2013, 05:24 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My opinion is you should ALWAYS get a certain value in any product you pay for, unless it's for charity or a lottery ticket.
If I were to buy a box of Oreo Cookies I expect to get a certain cookie in a certain quantity in a certain condition. A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer.
Yes, I realize what your opinion is. My point is that, cards are only one reason I like to buy boxes. I have a great time opening them, regardless of what is inside. That brings a certain inherent value that can't be "looked up" in a Beckett price guide. I am willing to pay for that experience. I also understand that (by the sound of it), I am willing to pay much more for that experience than you are, which is fine. To each his own. I understand that people like to buy singles because they get more card value for your dollar that way. I, however, buy boxes for the fun of opening them.... and I also happen to get cards out of it as a bonus! (Sometimes better cards than others, haha.)

On a side note - "A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer" is an incorrect statement. You have the right to not buy a product you don't feel gives you an adequate value for your money, which is the right you are exercising by buying singles. But just because someone else chooses to spend theirs differently because they perceive value differently doesn't make them any less "wise" with their money, just.... different.

(09-18-2013, 08:07 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Yes, I realize what your opinion is. My point is that, cards are only one reason I like to buy boxes. I have a great time opening them, regardless of what is inside. That brings a certain inherent value that can't be "looked up" in a Beckett price guide. I am willing to pay for that experience. I also understand that (by the sound of it), I am willing to pay much more for that experience than you are, which is fine. To each his own. I understand that people like to buy singles because they get more card value for your dollar that way. I, however, buy boxes for the fun of opening them.... and I also happen to get cards out of it as a bonus! (Sometimes better cards than others, haha.)
No, I don't really think you understand my opinion at all. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm not trying to convince you to stop buying boxes. In fact, please keep buying them. Please start buying cases of them and have plenty of fun. I hope you have lots of non-discretionary funds to donate to the Topps charity of your choice. Smile
In fact, if you're not buying cards for anything but the fun of opening packs, I'll pack up some cards, professionally seal them in wrappers and sell them to you. I'll give you 50 cents worth of cards for only $2.99 a pack, 24 packs per box and one in every 10 packs I'll randomly put in an autograph card or relic card or something to surprise you. Do we have a deal? I can put together a couple of cases for you whenever you're ready!

(09-18-2013, 08:07 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: On a side note - "A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer" is an incorrect statement. You have the right to not buy a product you don't feel gives you an adequate value for your money, which is the right you are exercising by buying singles. But just because someone else chooses to spend theirs differently because they perceive value differently doesn't make them any less "wise" with their money, just.... different.
""A certain, guaranteed value for what I'm paying for is my right as a consumer" is an incorrect statement. " is an incorrect statement on your part, Joe. What I said is absolutely true. Key word: CONSUMER You only have consumer rights if you buy something or consume something. You wrote "You have the right to not buy a product you don't feel gives you an adequate value for your money" Not buying something gives you no rights at all, that's called CHOICE.
Here's a consumer rights analogy for your entertainment. You have the choice to read it or not. I have the right to write it ... But I digress. ... Smile
If I were a Cadillac salesman and you bought a Cadillac from me, took it home, opened the hood and found a VW engine there, your rights as a consumer were maliciously violated. Your expectations buying a Caddy was to get a perceived value for what you were paying for, including A Caddy engine...Not a VW engine, (which might be a fine engine in and of itself, but not what was expected to be there.) Consumer advocate groups would be all over me until your engine was replaced with what was expected to be there, and what you were paying me to deliverer.

So now, back to my original reason for this condescending thread Smile... Here's my next batch of Tier One that I picked up. Just under the cost of a half box
[Image: null_zps907760f0.jpg]

I bought 11 boxes, the best card I got was an Ozzie Smith auto/99 which can be had for 60-75 bucks and a Wil Myers auto. I also pulled a Kipnis rose auto but that sadly only sold for 22 dollars. Lost my @ss on this but I have a bunch of nice autos that will look good in my collection and I have made some real nice money off of Ginter and the small amount of Platinum I have bought.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]