`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every collectors nightmare

Every collectors nightmare
So I went on a 3 day vacation and came back to most of my bedroom and more specifically card collection soaking wet. Had a pipe that was recently replaced explode...don't know what happened yet but THANKFULLY I keep all of my PC cards in storage containers near the computer and everything else in the closet on shelves. So I've got around 10,000 cards that are completely ruined. I do have insurance on them and in the process of getting that claim figured out, as it looks now, they will give me 35 cents per card that was damaged

what are some thoughts on that value?

I didn't lose anything huge, some vintage and some mid end stuff but I'd say 75% of what I lost was low end and base. I don't think I could replace what I lost for $3,500 but I think that is partially because some of the stuff is just so hard to find that when it pops up it goes for 20-30% more than what it "books" at

At any rate, it looks like I've got a long road to travel to replace some things I lost

RE: Every collectors nightmare
Wow!
That sucks big time and is always my worst nightmare (along with fire) sorry to hear about your situation!
I don't know what is fair anymore .... Insurance companies really screw people over when it comes to claims, so getting anything easily is a major hurdle ... But if they'll pay .35 then why not .45 ?
There are people that deal with insurance and collections all the time ... Let a professional claims person take over .... it's probably well worth the % that they will charge you for recovery.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I hope they were 1990 donruss, fleer, and topps. I wouldnt complain about the .35 per card. Sorry this has happened to you
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(09-16-2013, 02:58 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I hope they were 1990 donruss, fleer, and topps. I wouldnt complain about the .35 per card. Sorry this has happened to you
That was my first thought when I found out it was 35 cents per card - maybe keep a few 5,000 count boxes of this crap and hope for the same result haha. But no, I lost a bunch of 90's inserts (thats the most upsetting part I think because they don't pop up for sale), about 2,500 rookies, a ton of allen & ginter, a ton of vintage and almost all of my football

I've settled on 35 cents a card, BUT they are also giving me 15 cents per toploader so I think thats a win - all in all I lost 9,487 cards and 6,222 in toploaders

I think that's pretty good all things considered. It's such a hassle to get rid of large quantities of low end stuff and to get a fair amount of cash for it? I'd sign up for that too
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(09-16-2013, 03:09 PM)hongkongfooey Wrote: That was my first thought when I found out it was 35 cents per card - maybe keep a few 5,000 count boxes of this crap and hope for the same result haha. But no, I lost a bunch of 90's inserts (thats the most upsetting part I think because they don't pop up for sale), about 2,500 rookies, a ton of allen & ginter, a ton of vintage and almost all of my football

I've settled on 35 cents a card, BUT they are also giving me 15 cents per toploader so I think thats a win - all in all I lost 9,487 cards and 6,222 in toploaders
I'd take the 3K and buy 1 kick-butt card! Smile ... and a waterproof safe Smile
But seriously, PM me your address and I'll send off a bunch of A&G duplicates ... once I go through them (might be a couple of weeks, but maybe it'll give you a little head start?)
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(09-16-2013, 05:44 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'd take the 3K and buy 1 kick-butt card! Smile ... and a waterproof safe Smile
But seriously, PM me your address and I'll send off a bunch of A&G duplicates ... once I go through them (might be a couple of weeks, but maybe it'll give you a little head start?)
+1 ... go buy your dream card now, whatever it is, turning that negative into a positive.

Then, after you're holding it in your hands and drooling over it, ask yourself — would I have traded all the stuff I lost for this?

Chances are the answer would be a resounding "yes" and you might come out on the other side pretty happy with the whole deal.

Jacobysteals home does exactly that for a living (I believe). I'm sure he'll chime in.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Sorry for your loss, good thing you had them covered though. I know it sucks but so many of us would make that trade off for our 90's stuff. Now you can focus your collection on what you really want. Like above buy one card that you've always wanted and fill in some gaps. if you want commons i'd be more than happy to send you some to start some sets up or just to feel whole again Smile