`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tighten it Up, Lads.

Tighten it Up, Lads.
Hey all.......What the heck is happening with trades?? To my knowledge, the rules of the game haven't changed, so let's take a minute to refresh.

1. It is easy to check the postmark and see when cards were shipped, and a one day difference can certainly happen at the PO, but marking items in Beckett Trade as shipped on Monday and getting the package postmarked Friday of the same week leads to distrust and delays. All you need to do is mark as shipped when you ship.
2. If you are going to be delayed before you can ship, just pop a note out when making the trade that you anticipate shipping by FILL-IN-THE-BLANK date. This is easy and helps the other trader out. Most of us understand stuff happens.
3. When you receive your cards, look them over and,..... although others may not follow this philosophy,..... leave feedback promptly if you are happy, or contact the trader if you are not happy. Nothing like a six-week delay in updating your organizer or getting slammed on feedback without knowing what the problem is, eh?
4. Check your cards to make sure you have your part of the bargain BEFORE you agree to the trade. Sometimes stuff happens beyond your control, but for the most part this just requires a bit of time and effort. Communicate with your trading partner if something is off kilter.
5. I don't mark anything in my org as "MINT" unless I got it that way in trade and haven't changed it yet, or it has been slabbed and graded. I know this subject is controversial but over the last month I've traded for mint condition cards that weren't mint by any stretch of the imagination to the tune of $200 plus in BV. Come on, man. This is supposed to be a hobby and fun for collectors, not a profiteering center. I may ask for scans of individual cards marked as mint. You are welcome to do the same with me- bear in mind I don't have a scanner nor many cards in my org marked as "mint".
Also, "pack-fresh" does not mean mint to me. A trader sent me some inserts I needed to finish off a set that had roller marks on the backs of them. Maybe pack fresh, but I'm back to looking for decent cards to complete the set, minus a few of my inventory cards. I give away those types of cards as extras, use them for fire starters or spacers, or pitch them.
6. It's becoming popular to cherry-pick the colors of jersey swatches these days, so if you expect me to spend my time looking for a particular card to determine the jersey color or swatch, I expect you are willing to compensate me for this expenditure of time and energy by adding BV to my side of the trade. If I recall, there was a time when multi-color jerseys carried a premium over one color swatches, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't value multi-color over one color. So if you are going to be picky, please be prepared to adjust in my favor, whether you eventually decide you want the card or not.

Recently I had to contact a trader in the US who hadn't shipped my cards for a month (his were delivered three days after shipment).

Also had a guy accept a trade, then had an epiphany after I shipped his off. He didn't have one of my cards with him (wherever he is??). The result is that his cards will likely be in hand, and mine won't have been packaged yet or shipped until next week (I hope!).

Last, I sent a message to a guy this morning who received the cards I sent him August 23rd but has yet to ship mine.

Stuff happens but all it takes is a note or some form of communication to avoid problems and keep this forum fun for everyone.

Thanks to all the responsible folks out there for the great trades and for allowing me to bloviate- my best to all.
Eddie

RE: Tighten it Up, Lads.
Well said Eddie. I try to make sure I do all of these items listed. I never make shipped until I am back from the post office because I know with working till 5pm I am rushed to get to the post office by 5:30pm so I miss it some days.
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

Well said, across the board. I too am guilty of late shipping thanks to my unreasonable hours. I always do my shipping on Saturdays, but try to let everyone know that in advance.
Collecting Cam Neely & Boston Bruins
Photobucket: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/p...or%20Sale/

All great tips. I too never mark something shipped until I have actually shipped. I am guilty of the "I can't find the card" every now and then, and I will explain; when someone sends me an open offer wanting, let's say, 50 cards, I will add cards to my end and return the offer before actually pulling all the cards out that they want. I do check to make sure I have the autos and game-used (because they are easy to pull) but the base and parallels, especially, are a little work for me to pull and I do not want to spend 30 minutes pulling them only to find out that the other trader declines my counteroffer. I also notice quite often that people will mark that they received my end but hold back the feedback until I mark cards received and leave feedback.

Thanks for the support, guys- Greg, you are spot on with your feedback comment. I have a trade-to-feedback differential of about 15 now because others have not provided feedback. Some I gave up on, some were shylocks who ripped me off but regardless, withholding feedback is the result of ineffective communication. If you want to hold off on feedbacks, at least pop the guy a note and explain why. Otherwise, no excuses for not leaving feedback promptly.
As for pulling cards, I've had trouble locating a card or two on four occasions out of about 250 trades, so I know stuff happens. When it has happened, all it took was a message to the other trader to get things straightened out. There are a lot of really swell folks here and the benefits far outweigh the shortfalls. I just felt it was time to reinforce the rules a bit as things can get pretty fast and loose at times.

Thanks, Eddie.

Thanks Eddie, i have been pretty slack with my packaging/shipping over the summer. with work, camping/fishing, yard work/renos etc etc, basically a good summer life. I do try to at least drop a message or trade comment if i am "behind" on getting something to the PO. As far as leaving feedback, i am guilty of that as well. sorry, ill try and be more prompt in leaving feedback. I will never mark something as shipped on here until i have physically shipped the cards. And if i am a little slow getting the cards out please be patient. They will get shipped, i am a little more prompt in the winter months, so lets keep trading!
Primary PC: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Connor Mcdavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Collecting All Oilers GU/Auto/SN cards

also building sets, needs found here http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1488853.html

I have reminded some members to leave feedback. In most cases it was just forgotten. It might have to do with the fact that when you click "received" the trade bounces to the completed trades area of the tool. And that creates the "out of site out of mind" scenario. I always leave feedback first , then hit received.
~cheerz~
Fx
[Image: coollogo_com-27107460_zps7a545244.gif]
[Image: d27e1c78-63c2-44e0-8315-da67d5fa420c_zps10136b00.jpg]

(08-30-2013, 02:34 PM)franklinx Wrote: I always leave feedback first , then hit received.
~cheerz~
Fx
+1 I have found this a much easy way to make sure it is not forgotten.

[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

(08-30-2013, 01:54 PM)rczubaty Wrote: Thanks Eddie, i have been pretty slack with my packaging/shipping over the summer. with work, camping/fishing, yard work/renos etc etc, basically a good summer life. I do try to at least drop a message or trade comment if i am "behind" on getting something to the PO. As far as leaving feedback, i am guilty of that as well. sorry, ill try and be more prompt in leaving feedback. I will never mark something as shipped on here until i have physically shipped the cards. And if i am a little slow getting the cards out please be patient. They will get shipped, i am a little more prompt in the winter months, so lets keep trading!
Never had troubles with you and trading, Ryan. You always do a good job of communicating with me and I'm looking forward to many more trades with you in the future.