`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instant Replay in MLB.....your thoughts?

Instant Replay in MLB.....your thoughts?
Heard on the radio on the drive home that MLB will be using "Instant Replay" on all calls except balls & strikes, starting 2014. I "HATE" the move, slow the game down greatly. I just can't get my head around the reason "Bud" would allow this........your thoughts.
[Image: lbMplTF.png]
1967 Topps
Super Collector of Cal Ripken Jr. & "Pudge" Rodriguez
bowers25’s bucket

RE: Instant Replay in MLB.....your thoughts?
To elaborate a bit on the story, what I have read is that, firstly, the new Replay setup will only be put in place if agreed upon by both the owners and the umpires.

What the new Instant Replay system would entail is a "challenge" system, similar to the NFL. Each manager receives 1 challenge that can be used over the first 6 innings, and 2 challenges from the 7th inning through the game's conclusion. Managers may challenge anything that is not a ball/strike call. Umpires still hold the ability to review home run calls. All challenged calls will be reviewed back at MLB Headquarters.

I think it helps the game, in that they will get calls correct now. I'm glad they're leaving balls and strikes alone. I just hope it doesn't slow the game down.
Baseball: Scott Olsen: 174/336 (51.8%)
A.J. Jimenez: 63/120 (52.5%)
Alberto Tirado: 62/103 (60.2%)

Hockey: Connor Clifton: 100/135 (74.1%) - 99/117 non 1-of-1s (84.6%)

I'm all for replay in baseball, nothing against the umps... but over the past 3 seasons there have been multiple times they really missed a call, defended the call during the game, and then immediately after the game when they saw the replay, they were putting out an apology.

I'd rather see them speed up the time between pitches to speed the game up rather than being worried about the amount of time a replay may take up.

All for the challenge concept and it's the way it should've been from the start. I also like the 1 challenge for the first 6 innings and then 2 more for the later innings when most missed calls that will decide the outcome of a game happen.

Also for the challenges from what I gathered they will have someone somewhere that will take a look and make an immediate call. No Umpires going in the tunnel and taking a 5 min. break. The Crew chief would run over to the dugout phone get the answer and relay it to the teams.

Huge step in the right direction IMO>

bought damn time, pretty dumb to ignore something for so long as the ability to review video and make the correct call. espcially when your already using it in such a small instance of the game.
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

There goes the "in the vacinity" crap calls when DP's are turned.... the one play that really gets on my nerves. I'm for IR as well as keeping the time between pitches at 20 seconds. Batter isn't in the box TFB..pitch is coming!

I think the 95% of the umps do a great job and that 99.9% of the balls in-play calls are correct.

Glad balls & strikes calls are being kept out

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I think it's about time too. I hate seeing obvious blown calls. The technology is there. Use it and get the calls correct. Plus it may speed up the game if we don't have managers running out on the field throwing tantrums for extended periods of time. If they had it in Lou Pinella's day, imagine how different our perception of him might be.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

It is a 3-2 game in the 8th. I have not used my challenges yet. I have a man on first and the ground ball from the next batter results in a DP..seems like it was a tailor-made DP..but..I have challenges to use..so what the heck..I challenge the call..missed the bag at 2nd or the runner got there ahead of the relay..
The game grounds to a halt as the umps call the "challenge central" for the call.
That is what will happen and anyone saying it will be used just for the "close..game deciding" plays is crazy.
Please Bud Selig..go away..you have done enough to destroy this game..time to sell another car in retirement

I'm all for it too. I bet Armando Galarraga wishes they had it a few years ago.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Don't like how it's being implemented. Shouldn't be up to the managers. If the officials in NY see a play that should be reviewed, they should review it. I'm afraid we'll see "icing the pitcher" type challenges in the last few innings now.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]