`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Reflecting back on my first game

Reflecting back on my first game
Well, since you all know I never sleep (trust me, go check out my time online lol) I laid up most of the night watching Ken Burn's Baseball on Netflix.

Let me start out by saying, those of you who haven't seen it definitely need to!

Part Six opens up with Billy Crystal talking about his first live baseball game at Yankee Stadium (I tried finding a video link on youtube, but no luck Sad it's a powerful one though). This got me to thinking about my first baseball game.

I had just turned 13 (ya ya I know that was only 9 years ago shut up lol). Living in rural Indiana, you really didn't get much of a chance to see live MLB baseball. Well we were going to Chicago for my birthday (the 4th of July weekend) to go to the Field Museum. On the way there, mom asked (even though she hates sports) if dad and I wanted to go to a baseball game. Me, not being a huge sports fan at the time, was kind of iffy about it, until I found out that Greg Maddux, the only baseball player I actually cared about, would be the starting pitcher for the Cubs vs White Sox that game!

Now, I wasn't expecting good seats since 1) we waited until the day of 2) its the city rivalry game 3) its forth of July weekend...but sometimes your parents apparently feel the need to spoil you...they dropped 400 A PIECE for tickets for dad and I to have front row seats at the game, right behind home plate.

I remember it so vividly. It was my first trip to a BIG city, it all just seemed larger than life. We took a cab ride from the hotel to Wrigley (which was terrifying I might add...not to be racist (because I'm not) but when the cabby is listening to some radio host screaming in a language you don't understand...it can make one a little paranoid!)

Well, we got to the stadium and I had never seen a place so big in my life. I remember walking in the front gates, down the tunnel, out to the field...I remember that bright light as you come out and seeing the greenest grass, and most perfect dirt I had ever seen in my life. Our seats were right at the visiting teams batters circle.

Being at Wrigley Field, the Sox were obviously up first...and I remember the BIGGEST man I had ever seen in my life (Jim Thome lol) being the first man up to bat, literally so close you probably could have reached out and touched him.

Now, this game was also one of the few times my father and I haven't fought lol. Unfortunately, the cubs didn't win that game, but all the memories are so worth while. While typing this I actually got a little teary...which was made worse because I just realized when a virus destroyed the desktop computer it destroyed all of my pictures from the game Sad I'm literally heartbroken over this, I thought I'd at least have one left...I was a photographer as a youngster and I actually used one of my photos of Maddux in an exhibition...that digital version is also gone somehow)

After the game was even more memorable than the game itself! Dad and I dispise buses...we just can't do them. So we started to walk towards downtown to hopefully catch a cab once we got a little closer...and we walked....and we walked....and walked...and walked lol got to see a lot of things I'd never seen before as a country boy from Indiana...my first homosexual neighborhood (with a gay pride rally that day to boot!). We ended up stopping for sodas in a greek neighborhood and had some of the best sauceage in my life! Needless to say...we walked all the way downtown...how we didn't die is beyond me!

So what are your guys first game memories?
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

RE: Reflecting back on my first game
What part of Indiana are you from? I grew up in Starke County, then moved to Monticello before moving to Chicago.

My first game was a White Sox game, I believe it was 1994 against the Indians. Got there early for BP and came so close to catching 2 balls hit by Frank Thomas. Our seats were in left field and Big Frank went deep in the second inning and it was hit right at me, just as I was about to catch it a little kid sitting right I front of me stuck his glove in the way, missed the ball and some guy sitting two rows down from us got the ball instead. Was an amazing experience and even though I have always been a Cubs fan I had a blast watching the south siders. I still go to more Sox games than Cubs game just because they are so much cheaper.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(07-28-2013, 06:09 PM)Haze28 Wrote: What part of Indiana are you from? I grew up in Starke County, then moved to Monticello before moving to Chicago.

My first game was a White Sox game, I believe it was 1994 against the Indians. Got there early for BP and came so close to catching 2 balls hit by Frank Thomas. Our seats were in left field and Big Frank went deep in the second inning and it was hit right at me, just as I was about to catch it a little kid sitting right I front of me stuck his glove in the way, missed the ball and some guy sitting two rows down from us got the ball instead. Was an amazing experience and even though I have always been a Cubs fan I had a blast watching the south siders. I still go to more Sox games than Cubs game just because they are so much cheaper.
I was from Bluffton, Wells County. just south of Fort Wayne...haven't been home since I moved to MI in 2010 after HS...hopefully will get to go home this fall to work for an old friend in one of my side businesses (I'm a consultant for haunted houses lol)

(07-28-2013, 04:36 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: Well, since you all know I never sleep (trust me, go check out my time online lol) I laid up most of the night watching Ken Burn's Baseball on Netflix.

Let me start out by saying, those of you who haven't seen it definitely need to!

Part Six opens up with Billy Crystal talking about his first live baseball game at Yankee Stadium (I tried finding a video link on youtube, but no luck Sad it's a powerful one though). This got me to thinking about my first baseball game.

I had just turned 13 (ya ya I know that was only 9 years ago shut up lol). Living in rural Indiana, you really didn't get much of a chance to see live MLB baseball. Well we were going to Chicago for my birthday (the 4th of July weekend) to go to the Field Museum. On the way there, mom asked (even though she hates sports) if dad and I wanted to go to a baseball game. Me, not being a huge sports fan at the time, was kind of iffy about it, until I found out that Greg Maddux, the only baseball player I actually cared about, would be the starting pitcher for the Cubs vs White Sox that game!

Now, I wasn't expecting good seats since 1) we waited until the day of 2) its the city rivalry game 3) its forth of July weekend...but sometimes your parents apparently feel the need to spoil you...they dropped 400 A PIECE for tickets for dad and I to have front row seats at the game, right behind home plate.

I remember it so vividly. It was my first trip to a BIG city, it all just seemed larger than life. We took a cab ride from the hotel to Wrigley (which was terrifying I might add...not to be racist (because I'm not) but when the cabby is listening to some radio host screaming in a language you don't understand...it can make one a little paranoid!)

Well, we got to the stadium and I had never seen a place so big in my life. I remember walking in the front gates, down the tunnel, out to the field...I remember that bright light as you come out and seeing the greenest grass, and most perfect dirt I had ever seen in my life. Our seats were right at the visiting teams batters circle.

Being at Wrigley Field, the Sox were obviously up first...and I remember the BIGGEST man I had ever seen in my life (Jim Thome lol) being the first man up to bat, literally so close you probably could have reached out and touched him.

Now, this game was also one of the few times my father and I haven't fought lol. Unfortunately, the cubs didn't win that game, but all the memories are so worth while. While typing this I actually got a little teary...which was made worse because I just realized when a virus destroyed the desktop computer it destroyed all of my pictures from the game Sad I'm literally heartbroken over this, I thought I'd at least have one left...I was a photographer as a youngster and I actually used one of my photos of Maddux in an exhibition...that digital version is also gone somehow)

After the game was even more memorable than the game itself! Dad and I dispise buses...we just can't do them. So we started to walk towards downtown to hopefully catch a cab once we got a little closer...and we walked....and we walked....and walked...and walked lol got to see a lot of things I'd never seen before as a country boy from Indiana...my first homosexual neighborhood (with a gay pride rally that day to boot!). We ended up stopping for sodas in a greek neighborhood and had some of the best sauceage in my life! Needless to say...we walked all the way downtown...how we didn't die is beyond me!

very nice share!! love it. just curious though how was Thome batting first? or were u late to the game? i just cant imagine a manager letting mlb's slowest man leading off!! haha
[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

(07-28-2013, 06:44 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote: very nice share!! love it. just curious though how was Thome batting first? or were u late to the game? i just cant imagine a manager letting mlb's slowest man leading off!! haha
ok let me rephrase...my memory from almost 10 yrs ago remembers Thome first lol he probably wasn't lol

(07-28-2013, 04:36 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: Well, since you all know I never sleep (trust me, go check out my time online lol) I laid up most of the night watching Ken Burn's Baseball on Netflix.

Hey man,

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing those photos, Sad

But it seems as though you remember it so vividly. Cherish those memories bud!!
5 Stars!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

That was a great story and do you still have the Hard drive that the photos were on? If you do you can try to recover them by getting software or using an adapter. I have seen alot of Baseball in my years but when I lived in KC was the most memorable. Before Kaufman stadium was renovated and when Brett, Saberhagen and Frank White played. I went with my parents and sat in the outfield near the fountains. I think the game I saw started with Saberhagen and ended with Dan Quisenberry striking out the Carlos Baerga of the Cleveland Indians. Honestly the food was so good with a Ball Park hotdog and Pretzel with Cheese. My dad and mom have both passed on but some of my best memories are going to baseball games with him.

(07-28-2013, 10:25 PM)magneto2 Wrote: That was a great story and do you still have the Hard drive that the photos were on? If you do you can try to recover them by getting software or using an adapter. I have seen alot of Baseball in my years but when I lived in KC was the most memorable. Before Kaufman stadium was renovated and when Brett, Saberhagen and Frank White played. I went with my parents and sat in the outfield near the fountains. I think the game I saw started with Saberhagen and ended with Dan Quisenberry striking out the Carlos Baerga of the Cleveland Indians. Honestly the food was so good with a Ball Park hotdog and Pretzel with Cheese. My dad and mom have both passed on but some of my best memories are going to baseball games with him.
Oh the food lol i had never even heard of a chicago dog before that day...i probably had ten of them at the game lol