Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMC Hangs Themselves

COMC Hangs Themselves
http://blog.comc.com/2013/07/09/launchin.../#comments

If you're active on COMC and haven't read this yet, please do. I'm ashamed of COMC for doing this and I have a bad feeling that this is the end. I'll be calling them tomorrow and demanding my cards be returned. It's become clear that COMC is a scam for small sellers where they do anything to nickle and dime you until you're broke. This is even more damaging to buyers who have no way to judge the prices being asked without paying up to $30/month for what was free as of yesterday. Business is destroying this hobby and I'm fed up with it.
Alex Gordon collector and author of http://viewfromtheskybox.blogspot.com/

[Image: W2WNKId.png]

RE: COMC Hangs Themselves
i guess im not seeing the issue. beckett had an agreement with COMC, one that frankly, hurt them financially.

The issue is that what set COMC apart from other sites is that it allowed buyers to judge their purchases against a benchmark. Without that a lot of casual buyers will go back to Ebay where prices are generally much cheaper.

I understand that Beckett needed a new agreement, but it's bologna that this was the best they could do. COMC already makes it incredibly hard for small consignors to make any profits and the last thing we need is to lose a fat chunk of sales. The worst part is that ZERO heads up was given that this would be implemented. As "consignors" we're in business with COMC and today they pulled a fast one on us.

(07-09-2013, 07:20 PM)cross4444 Wrote: The issue is that what set COMC apart from other sites is that it allowed buyers to judge their purchases against a benchmark. Without that a lot of casual buyers will go back to Ebay where prices are generally much cheaper.

I understand that Beckett needed a new agreement, but it's bologna that this was the best they could do. COMC already makes it incredibly hard for small consignors to make any profits and the last thing we need is to lose a fat chunk of sales. The worst part is that ZERO heads up was given that this would be implemented. As "consignors" we're in business with COMC and today they pulled a fast one on us.
buyers can still check out sold items on ebay for a comparison

plus, for cards with multiple listings, a buyer can see what the market is for that card. sellers will conspire against themselves to sell the card they have, which means lower. there isnt seller collusion on comc

i guess i dont understand why people who dont pay for a service should get that service

(07-09-2013, 07:24 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: buyers can still check out sold items on ebay for a comparison

plus, for cards with multiple listings, a buyer can see what the market is for that card. sellers will conspire against themselves to sell the card they have, which means lower. there isnt seller collusion on comc

i guess i dont understand why people who dont pay for a service should get that service
Because they roped us in by giving us this service, then pulled it away. That's no way to do business.

It was nice while it lasted, but they did what they had to do and I can respect that.

(07-09-2013, 07:20 PM)cross4444 Wrote: The issue is that what set COMC apart from other sites is that it allowed buyers to judge their purchases against a benchmark. Without that a lot of casual buyers will go back to Ebay where prices are generally much cheaper.

I am impressed with the proper spelling of bologna — most go with "baloney."

And I hear you on the fast one ... I work in the newspaper industry, and about a dozen years or so ago all these papers started letting people log on/sign up for free subscriptions online ... then, SURPRISE, nobody wanted to pay to wait for the print copy a day later, so now they are all trying to get people to pay for what they've been getting for free for over a decade.

It just doesn't work.

I have no issue with this, I thought it was a pretty glaring loophole that was hurting Beckett. Anyone with a free account on COMC could get access to pricing on almost 2 million items without paying Beckett for Beckett's service.

I only have a baseball subscription on here but used COMC to price check football stuff that I was trading on here and Basketball that I was buying on eBay.

So I no longer have access to info that I wasn't paying for...that makes sense to me.
Currently building: 2015 Topps S1/2/UP, 2016 Topps Series 1, 2016 Gypsy Queen
Super Collect Jeff Samardzija
PC: Frank Thomas, Andruw Jones, David Justice, Duke Basketball, Notre Dame Football

(07-09-2013, 07:27 PM)mnc99 Wrote: It was nice while it lasted, but they did what they had to do and I can respect that.
But was this the best they could do? I don't think so. I think it could have been handled very differently.

(07-09-2013, 07:34 PM)cross4444 Wrote: But was this the best they could do? I don't think so. I think it could have been handled very differently.
how?

im honestly not trying to be purposely obtuse.

i think they are making efforts to make linking the two as easy as possible. but short of paying for pricing, what solution would be acceptable?