`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Football Rookie Cards

Football Rookie Cards
Is there a certain set every year that is widely regarded as "THE" rookie card to have of a player when it comes to football?

From my understanding for baseball, it is Bowman Chrome. With the various refractors being more valuable as well as autographs.

I was just wondering if it is also Bowman Chrome for football or if another set is typically deemed as a player's "official" rookie card.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Sets I'm currently building: 2013 Topps 1972 Minis | Chasing History Holofoil Gold

Always looking to trade

RE: Football Rookie Cards
"True" Rookie cards come from the major sets, such as score, bowman and topps. I'm not sure if there's any one I would consider "official", but score is the first with logos of the team they were drafted by.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

I think for a bit now it's been Contenders, some may say National Treasures I suppose.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

(06-10-2013, 11:07 AM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: I think for a bit now it's been Contenders, some may say National Treasures I suppose.
Those are the two I'd go with, Contenders and NT. Contenders with just autos and NT with Patch Autos.
[Image: HornungNamePicture.jpg]
My photobucket: http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q209/coachlew10/
Green Bay Packer Auto collector!!! Current and HOF Packers.

It used to be Exquisite and Sp Authentic hands down until UD lost their NFL license. Now its National treasures in my book. After that it would be contenders.
[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

I would add Topps Chrome to that list for the no-frills RC.
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

If you look at a set that's been consistent it has been Playoff Prestige and Score. Topps and Topps Chrome/ Bowman too. Both have kept the RC card as a base card and not an autographed card.

Not the most valuable - but great for busting packs and putting together a set with "true" rookies.

Prior - UD was a nice easy set to put together too.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

(06-10-2013, 05:42 PM)ugameck Wrote: If you look at a set that's been consistent it has been Playoff Prestige and Score. Topps and Topps Chrome/ Bowman too. Both have kept the RC card as a base card and not an autographed card.

Not the most valuable - but great for busting packs and putting together a set with "true" rookies.

Prior - UD was a nice easy set to put together too.
OP asked for "THE" rookie card to have of football, there's no question Contenders and National Treasures and more sought after than anything else. I would say Contenders, NT and Topps Chrome are the most anticipated and talked about every year.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

He asked two questions - i answered part 2.

He also asked for what is "typically deemed as a player's "official" rookie card."

I don't thnk anyone can disagree that Topps base wouldn't be considered THE official rookie card.

[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

I agree with Uwash on adding topps chrome in there for just a standard RC. They also seem to get a lot of under the radar rookies that not all products get too, Last year I pulled an Alfred Morris and when I did a little research was surprised to see that not many products carried his card. Topps usually has them all
Photobucket