`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 year starting - Retail stores selling cards

2013 year starting - Retail stores selling cards
I know there have been a few threads in the past that have addressd where retail packs are sold. I would like to see if there are any updates to this and I'll kick it off (i'm an avid retail guy only because RIGHT OR WRONG, I feel the value is better because I'm a set builder (only thing I don't like is when the card production is different from hobby/retail a la Topps Strata retail is thinner stock and hobby has thicker. I really dont like that fact, but all else i like...feel free to try to talk me out of this during the thread. I'm not 100% retail, but I need a strong argument...and have searched for one telling me how I'm wasting my time. Oh, also i'm in maryland/VA area so I know that is a factor as some stores mentioned I've never heard of. Also I only collect baseball and football and while below generally applies to the major 6 sports, I don't know how big the selection is for the other sports as much.

and others that I people have mentioned, but I have never seen. Any truth to these stores (and how recent is the proof?)
Best Buy; Big Lots; some grocery stores, but haven't seen this since the '90's. Other sports equipment stores with better selection....? (true or false?); Walgreens; Sam's Club;

ANYHOW, so here goes from a retail buyer (over 200 blaster boxes and counting, plus at least that many racks packs and probably 10 individual packs since they are the most easily searched..yeah I know racks can as well, but I guess I'm naive that I think its harder for that to happen.)
1. Target - by far biggest selection of the most recent year.
2. Walmart - 2nd to Target for most recent year and they have a little more in terms of older unopened boxes for things like Topps Chromes 2010 baseball.
3. K-mart - kinda weak on staying in stock of the latest year, but its always fun to see what they'll have. They'll supply things for all sports from 2011 Bowman Platinum Baseball, 2008 UDeck Football (and lots more UD both baseball and football). These mostly come in blaster boxes and then rack packs that are usually on sale from $3 per rack and $6 to $11 in blasters.
Out of these 3, K-mart is the most expensive. The other 2 are equal as far as i've seen, but I do gotta say k-mart is fun because it varies quite a bit on what you may find. Found quite a few Topps prime/platinum football '10/'11 and Bowman Chrome/Draft&Prospcts '10/'11 which are going for much more than the $12 they were on sale for...retail or not.

4. Toys R US - from the top 3, this is where there is a BIG DROP OFF. I never went to TRUS until about a month ago when I noticed they had some sale items from 2010/2011 so been visiting more, but most have very little. Oh and definitely more expensive. Worth mentioning though there are some TRus that have packs in plastic boxes so you cant search packs (the ones where the cashier needs a key to open).
5. Dollar stores (all of them really...) but even a retail guy likes me doesn't go here anymore. They are obviously $1 per pack and there are no inserts (autos or relics) so its good cause noone can search packs, but I at least like to have a possibility...not to mention they give you 50% less cards per pack...
6. Well...that's about it. I have seen PACKS and Rack packs ONLY (no blasters) at (in order of best, but not much difference really):
a. Rite-Aid; b) Modell's; c)Sports Authority (both b and c had like 1 typ of brand and sub brand each so its hard to classify them as having cards)

So I'm hoping that this can be the ultimate forum post that can be referenced for now on and others can add to it. Hopefully I didnt waste people's time because this has been discussed, but I believe an update would be helpful since this is as of June 1st, 2013 (and takes into account about 10 total visits at a minimum of stores above looking at packs of 2013 Archive (baseball and football), Prizm (baseball), Bowman (baseball and just today football), and the likes.

Thanks for providing add'l info.
Ryan

RE: 2013 year starting - Retail stores selling cards
Hey Ryan,
You covered it all. Down here in Florida, Walmart & Target are almost the same as far as quantity and selection, probably due to the fact that a vendor, Excel, supplies both stores. ToyRUs is probably the next tier, but waaaaaay over priced. Dollar store has next to nothing except repack cards and Topps Series 1 vendor packs ...5-6 cards for a buck .... Not worth even looking at them. K-mart is essentially closed down and has some older remainder supply, but I haven't seen anything new there in 2 years.
The big chain drug stores don't have cards anymore, the supermarkets never did, sports authority had them about 2 years ago, but they were only complete factory sets of Topps series 1&2.
That's all I know about retail in south Florida!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Retail in Canada....
Walmart--if you are lucky blasters of Topps Series One or those Best of 2012 boxes
Target--See above
Toys R US--Zilch
Kmart--don't exist
Meijer, Rite-Aid, Modell's anything similar--dont exist
Dollar Stores--maybe get lucky and find the 15 for a buck packs but don't count on it

Now hockey on the other hand....Guess I like the wrong sport for here.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I have seen packs at walgreens also at olympia sports though os is over priced like 2 or 3 dollers more then walmart. As far as doller stores I grab some whenever I am in there. The baseball is less cards yes but the score football is like a normal pack.
[Image: banner4_zps7ecf2a69.jpg]

also dez bryant,any bama players in bama uni,john parker wilson,jered weaver,matt kemp,topps triple thread stuff,anthony rizzo

I'll add Dollar Tree and Deals.
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

(06-07-2013, 09:28 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Hey Ryan,
You covered it all. Down here in Florida, Walmart & Target are almost the same as far as quantity and selection, probably due to the fact that a vendor, Excel, supplies both stores. ToyRUs is probably the next tier, but waaaaaay over priced. Dollar store has next to nothing except repack cards and Topps Series 1 vendor packs ...5-6 cards for a buck .... Not worth even looking at them. K-mart is essentially closed down and has some older remainder supply, but I haven't seen anything new there in 2 years.
The big chain drug stores don't have cards anymore, the supermarkets never did, sports authority had them about 2 years ago, but they were only complete factory sets of Topps series 1&2.
That's all I know about retail in south Florida!
whats funny is toys r us prices are even more expensive than at the baseball games. They sell boxes and packs at the souvenir shop at the rangers games and they are very pricey but I think toys r us has them beat on markup

have purchased 2013 Topps and 2013 Topps Heritage at a corner Chevron gas station (think it's owned by the same folks that own 7-11) here in San Antonio, TX
FINALLY!!!! A good reason to get excited about Dodger baseball in 2013!!!

[Image: puigtrio2_zps25e65fc1.jpg]

(06-07-2013, 02:42 PM)cartman Wrote: have purchased 2013 Topps and 2013 Topps Heritage at a corner Chevron gas station (think it's owned by the same folks that own 7-11) here in San Antonio, TX
I've also seen packs of series one at a chevron in ft worth down the street from my work
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

Most definatley Target and Walmart
I have gotten some from Toys R Us, very expensive
Kmart has them, but older cards
Around here in NJ, Modell's, Sports Authority, and Dick's Sporting Goods all have packs, racks, and blasters
Walgreens around me have repackaged cards for like $3, and I remmeber buying some packs at Rite Aid
Dollar Tree has packs, but small and mostly old
Most 7-11's around me sell cards too, saw some 2013 Heritage there couple days ago
I remember getting some at Party City, like 7 card packs, think they stopped though
Local convience stores around me have them, hugely overpriced though
Also, a local A&P in my town when they first opened had a huge stock of what you;d find at like Target, but after they were out they never re stocked the cards
Only autographs from current MLBers and Minor Leaguers, no jersey, patches, Sweet Spot, etc.

Main PC Players: Markakis, Tulo, Votto, Harper, RZim, Hamels, Cutch, Verlander, Kershaw, Machado. Will trade for autos, base and #'d I dont have, no jerseys, patches, Sweet Spot, etc.

(06-08-2013, 12:30 AM)Mike_Mags1850 Wrote: I remember getting some at Party City, like 7 card packs, think they stopped though
I forgot about Party City ..... Yeah, I picked up a box of cards there last year, or the year before ... I didn't find anything recently when I went shopping for my daughters party. Maybe they had enough and are done dealing with us cardboard junkies Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.