`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Grade Or Not To Grade

To Grade Or Not To Grade
I have seen this question asked many times and so I am hoping that I can help you decide with some real life numbers...hopefully I'm allowed to do this. If not, I appologize and just remove the post.

First decide why you want to get something graded because unless you are getting really high grades it does not necessarily add value to the card, this is especially true with BVG grading. For me, I have a personal collection that I really have no intention of selling unless I happen to upgrade a card. I like the slabs, I like being able to register the card...if the registry is working, etc.

So, I just sent in ten cards, for 10 day service using the May grading special...I got the price of 20 day service for 10 day service....after taxes, shipping, insurance, etc. my cost per card was $15.59 not counting the cost of shipping to Beckett...under $3. Total cost for grading $155.90.

The cards, 9 of the 10 were older cards BVG and none were going to get mint grades...I knew this going in....cost of these 10 cards = $152.43. A little less than the cost to get them graded :-( So total cost for these 10 cards was $308.33.

The graded value for these 10 cards per online price guide is $372 and the ungraded value for these 10 cards per the online price guide is $360.

So in my case, I spent $155.90 for grading and it increased the value of these cards by $12. As I said, I didn't send these in with the hopes of increasing the value but rather just because I wanted to for my PC. I only collect graded cards and prefer to buy them graded in the first place.

I think it's important to know why you are sending your cards in to be graded in the first place, be realistic about the condition of the card before sending it in, and be realistic about what to expect from a value point of view. All grading companies tell you to increase the value of your collection by having your cards graded....well that just is not always going to be the case.

For me, I'm already putting to gether my next shipment to be graded :-) Good luck and hope this helps a little
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: To Grade Or Not To Grade
Great post!

This may be off-topic but, It's very hard to grade your cards for profit (money wise). You have lots of variables:

Price paid for card
Grading fee
Shipping/Handling fee
Selling fee
Postage
PayPal fee
Time
Other things I left off.. [Image: biggrin.gif]

It's usually best to just grade cards for your collection and enjoy them.