`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trading new cards: Near Mint vs Mint

Trading new cards: Near Mint vs Mint
I'm new to trading and Becketts site. I have made a decent amount of trades over the past few months. All trades have gone off without a hitch. 95% of tha cards I have traded and traded for have been 2012 and 2013 cards and nothing has been high end, as I have been building Topps and Gypsy Queen sets.

On one of the recent trades I noticed that every card that I traded for was listed as mint, but every card I traded was marked near mint. After going back through my trades I noticed a handful had their cards marked as mint. I also found that mint cards are valued 25% higher then my near mint cards. I expect every new 2012 and 2013 card to be in the same perfect condition so it looks like I have been trading in favor by 25% on these deals without realizing it.

What's the common practice on this? Should I mark my newer cars as mint or just try to get the trade in my favor by 25% when dealing with someone that has theirs marked as mint?
Currently building: 2015 Topps S1/2/UP, 2016 Topps Series 1, 2016 Gypsy Queen
Super Collect Jeff Samardzija
PC: Frank Thomas, Andruw Jones, David Justice, Duke Basketball, Notre Dame Football

RE: Trading new cards: Near Mint vs Mint
ask them to mark their cards nm-mt. if they refuse you can always change yours to mint and increase the value of yours by 25%. usually people are compliant though and will change when asked.

Frankly, I find the practice of marking new cards as "Mint" irritating. Normally, if I notice a trader has their whole collection marked as such...I won't trade with them. The exception to this is if they have something I really want, then I'll just bite the bullet. It's up to you how you want to handle that situation...sometimes, sending a polite comment asking if it would be OK if you selected a bit more since all their cards are marked as "Mint" will work, but not always. I would suggest not doing so yourself as most traders on here look down on the practice.

Welcome to Beckett and a great community of traders!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

Im also new to trading and Becketts site.I find it cool.

The NrMt/Mt condition is the general consensus as standard book value (NrMt for pre-1981). I'm sure there are a few people who try to get an upper hand by listing their cards as Mint (for the 25% boost), but I think the majority of people are unaware that they've marked them as a higher book value. As mgruber stated, just make your trade partner aware of the difference in condition values, and most people will oblige by evening out the trade.
[Image: 7tljd.png]

Marking a card FT as a 9, 9.5 or 10 should be reserved for if they're actually graded at that.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

......Only graded cards (9 or higher) should marked as mint, all others as nrmt
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]