`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Unlisted Promo Card

Unlisted Promo Card
How would you price a PROMO card that isn't listed? The same as the actual card it represents? Or would there be a premium?

From the few that I have priced, there nearly always seems to be a premium on the PROMO versions, but wanted everyone's opinion.

Thanks.

RE: Unlisted Promo Card
usually, promos are worth less. promos are usually massively produced, moreso than the regular set

but it depends on the set

(05-24-2013, 05:39 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: usually, promos are worth less. promos are usually massively produced, moreso than the regular set

but it depends on the set
So what about 2000 Donruss? Do a search on Ebay. Are all those cards worthless? Any info would be good.

Thanks,
John
[Image: ZZZBearsBanner1.jpg]
Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher Supercollector

dont know much about the 2000 donruss promos. i do see that it is mostly 2-3 sellers that have them, which immediately raises some red flags for me. they are being listed as "vault" cards, so essentially, like topps vault, which as far as being considered 1/1's, usually sell for less than print plates. except there is no veracity that these 2000 donruss are actually 1/1's. in fact, they could be from sheets

i think these sellers are doing a heckuva a job on upsell. it reminds me of the folks that used to sell "rare" finest "acetates"

(05-24-2013, 08:04 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: dont know much about the 2000 donruss promos. i do see that it is mostly 2-3 sellers that have them, which immediately raises some red flags for me. they are being listed as "vault" cards, so essentially, like topps vault, which as far as being considered 1/1's, usually sell for less than print plates. except there is no veracity that these 2000 donruss are actually 1/1's. in fact, they could be from sheets

i think these sellers are doing a heckuva a job on upsell. it reminds me of the folks that used to sell "rare" finest "acetates"

What he said.

And they are most likely not 1/1's, but the guys who bought the lots where all of these were sold in bulk are jacking the prices up beyond any reality of what they should be.

The two Ricky's that are listed should sell around $5-8 together, not $30 a piece.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

I too noticed that these circa 2000 Donruss/Playoff promos unexpectedly started to pop up recently on eBay as well, a whole slew of these in fact. It looks like there was another recent bankruptcy auction that I was not invited to.

There is a lot of other previously unreleased "cutting room floor garbage" that occasionally surfaces out there from time to time (cards missing foil, prototypes, never inserted printing plates, etc). Fortunately Beckett by and large does not recognize these as worthy of listing because those should not be.

Prior I have deemed promo/sample cards as legitimate collectibles that should be listed in the OPG and annual price guide books, however I find the case for these newly listed Donruss/Playoff promo cards perplexing. If these promos were originally circulated to dealers or at shows way back when then that is one thing, but it does not appear this way.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(05-25-2013, 08:57 AM)nittany13 Wrote: I too noticed that these circa 2000 Donruss/Playoff promos unexpectedly started to pop up recently on eBay as well, a whole slew of these in fact. It looks like there was another recent bankruptcy auction that I was not invited to.

There is a lot of other previously unreleased "cutting room floor garbage" that occasionally surfaces out there from time to time (cards missing foil, prototypes, never inserted printing plates, etc). Fortunately Beckett by and large does not recognize these as worthy of listing because those should not be.

Prior I have deemed promo/sample cards as legitimate collectibles that should be listed in the OPG and annual price guide books, however I find the case for these newly listed Donruss/Playoff promo cards perplexing. If these promos were originally circulated to dealers or at shows way back when then that is one thing, but it does not appear this way.
Thanks. The reason I'm asking is BGS already graded a card that I was think of purchasing. I'm still on the fence.

(05-25-2013, 08:59 AM)zubaltec Wrote: Thanks. The reason I'm asking is BGS already graded a card that I was think of purchasing. I'm still on the fence.
It all depends on your collecting style. Some collectors will collect anything and everything of a certain player, and I mean virtually everything that you can think of, but I for one do not. I have certain parameters that I have set up for myself when purchasing cards/items of players I collect.

For example, recently I saw a printing plate of a player I collect listed online for a mere .99 cents. I ignored it because I knew beforehand it was never a pack inserted or redemption item (but if it originally was then that changes everything from my standpoint). This plate was most likely acquired by the seller somehow, second or third hand even, at one of these aforementioned bankruptcy auctions. It is not the type of collectible that interests me.

In summation, one has to ask him or herself what scope of collecting he or she wants to undertake.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(05-25-2013, 09:23 AM)nittany13 Wrote: It all depends on your collecting style. Some collectors will collect anything and everything of a certain player, and I mean virtually everything that you can think of, but I for one do not. I have certain parameters that I have set up for myself when purchasing cards/items of players I collect.

For example, recently I saw a printing plate of a player I collect listed online for a mere .99 cents. I ignored it because I knew beforehand it was never a pack inserted or redemption item (but if it originally was then that changes everything from my standpoint). This plate was most likely acquired by the seller somehow, second or third hand even, at one of these aforementioned bankruptcy auctions. It is not the type of collectible that interests me.

In summation, one has to ask him or herself what scope of collecting he or she wants to undertake.
I'm all about having my pc graded by BGS, so if they will grade it I know it can go in my pc. I just don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks again.