`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNREALISTIC starting bids, dont you just love it.........

UNREALISTIC starting bids, dont you just love it.........
So 6 months ago there was a dual wrestler signature card (BV: $150)on the bay that they wanted $150 starting bid and $175 buy it now(which wasnt horrible but the wrestlers were off tv at the time). Last 2 of the same card that sold went about $100. I tried to talk them down a lil....didnt go anywhere. I said fine and it never sold.

Now 6 months later both wrestlers are wrestling again and now that same person relisted it.............................FOR $400!!!!
I again tried talking to them (forgetting who I was speaking to) and again I got "Well, they are both on TV again, BV is $150 but its bound to go up...."

Argh. A wrestler autograph card quadrupling in value just because they are on TV? I guess there is no talking common sense to people. Must be an Alex Jones listener. lol

Sooooooo..........ANY ONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR STORIES? Interested to hear them. Smile

RE: UNREALISTIC starting bids, dont you just love it.........
i dont know why people do that, all it does is scare away buyers

Just out of curiosity who are the wrestlers?

There are cards I need that are listed BIN for 5 times what the last couple have sold for on the bay, I messaged one guy explaining that to him and saying ill give him half what he was asking and he said no way. I'd rather wait. What wrestlers? The Rock and Brock?
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

If it was Fandango I understand the price increase Smile
[Image: 0702Fandango_zpse1916ca0.jpg]

Sorry, dont want to give out the EXACT card with it being the only one currently up on the bay.
Needless to say there is more than enough of them for me NOT to be paying a premium.
I always try to wait it out. Sometimes I pay a lil more than I want, but never ridiculous amounts like 4x book value.
(05-10-2013, 03:10 PM)phillies816 Wrote: If it was Fandango I understand the price increase Smile

LOL. I think you can get a Johnny Curtis autograph card for about $7!!!

I don't want a Johnny Curtis Auto. I want an auto of Faaaan-Daaaaan-goooooo. Sorry but had to Smile

come on.....no stories of a $5 card you needed that someone wanted $250 for or the sorts?
Tell your ridiculous price tale. Smile

Every time you message someone you encourage them to hold out by showing them that there is someone interested in their "overpriced" card. In fact, that sounds like the response you are getting most of the time when you do that. Think of it from a seller's standpoint: Why would you sell something for far less than what you have it listed for if you know somebody is clamoring for it, may become desperate enough to pay your price, and are out nothing if they don't bite this time because eBay gave you the listing for free to begin with?

Try this message next time, with the key being to do it after the listing ends with no bids: I see that you listed (the item) and it ended with no bids. If you are still interested in selling this item I can offer you (a fair price based on completed listings the seller can view). My offer remains open so please let me know.

The key differences in this strategy vs. yours are that you have demonstrated what market they can expect the next time they list the item and have given them an option to think about when they relist it and you don't pay their asking price that second time if they try to list higher than what you offered. You refrain from sending any further messages regarding the item because you will find that when the item doesn't sell again they will come to you asking if you still have interest.

Another key here is saying "I can offer" instead of "I will offer", the difference being "can" has a friendly tone while "will" sounds demanding. "Can" creates sympathy, and the message as a whole delivered at the right time gives the seller the feeling that they have someone willing to buy if only they had a little room to negotiate to a price the buyer is ready to pay instantly. You may be surprised how well this strategy works and how infrequent the need for private frustrations and public posts voicing these frustrations will be necessary.

Otherwise, the only thing I can cite is the old adage that good things come to those that wait. It sounds like one issue you are having is that you have to have it now every time and get frustrated when you don't get what you want how you want when you want. Don't feel bad, it's a very common problem in society these days.

Second to last card i need for my 2012 bowman draft rainbow of jorge saez(minus super), purple ice /10, now i understand that prices vary and so on but....I paid $6 for my red /25 and this guy wants 150, yes its graded, but that doesnt make a $25-30 card 5x's in price, i offered him 30 and he politely declined, I really hope i dont end up having to purchase it at that price or close to it.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios