`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS vs. PSA

BGS vs. PSA
I have noticed recently that PSA and BGS graded cards are starting to get a wider and wider gap in their prices realized on Ebay. For instance 2003 PSA 10 Chrome Lebron RC's are going for around $300 and the same card BGS 9.5 goes for around $200 (or less). This is just an example, but is representative of the difference in value in PSA vs. BGS.

My question is why do you all think this is the case? And do you think this price difference will stay the same, widen in gap or narrow in gap over time?

RE: BGS vs. PSA
Well one is a 10 which in collector's mind is a "perfect" card the other only a 9.5. Now compare a BGS 10 to a PSA 10. The BGS 10 would probably sell for $500+ and the PSA 10 only $300 so is there really a discrepancy here or are people just placing PSA 10 and BGS 9.5 on the same level because so few BGS 10's exist?
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

(04-16-2013, 11:16 PM)briankort Wrote: Well one is a 10 which in collector's mind is a "perfect" card the other only a 9.5. Now compare a BGS 10 to a PSA 10. The BGS 10 would probably sell for $500+ and the PSA 10 only $300 so is there really a discrepancy here or are people just placing PSA 10 and BGS 9.5 on the same level because so few BGS 10's exist?
I could see this, but also do you think they're starting to get a little lax on the BGS 10 rating? I only ask because we just did a group submission a couple months ago (just got the grades in) and out of approx 50 or so cards we had 4 Pristines, which seemed high to me. Now, obviously, 1 of the guys could be a dead eye at picking out the high grade cards, but is it possible that they are starting to get a little lax?
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(04-16-2013, 11:28 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: I could see this, but also do you think they're starting to get a little lax on the BGS 10 rating? I only ask because we just did a group submission a couple months ago (just got the grades in) and out of approx 50 or so cards we had 4 Pristines, which seemed high to me. Now, obviously, 1 of the guys could be a dead eye at picking out the high grade cards, but is it possible that they are starting to get a little lax?
That could be, but I still think a BGS 10 will outsell a PSA 10.

I find this interesting as PSA was recently found to have graded the infamous Wayne Gretzky t206 Honus Wagner as PSA 8 incorrectly by the owner himself.. As the card had been admitted to have been trimmed by Bill Maestro. This was one of the first cards PSA ever graded. To think that it doesn't ruin the credibility of a grading company I don't understand. Perhaps BGS has similar issues or in the minds of buyers more lax grading, who knows.
 photo mjheader.jpg

hmmm interesting a bgs10 Lebron Chrome rc "sold" for $1625, just 2 weeks ago one sold for $800...if I could double my money ever two weeks I could finally retire Wink
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(04-17-2013, 07:13 AM)zinger82 Wrote: I find this interesting as PSA was recently found to have graded the infamous Wayne Gretzky t206 Honus Wagner as PSA 8 incorrectly by the owner himself.. As the card had been admitted to have been trimmed by Bill Maestro. This was one of the first cards PSA ever graded. To think that it doesn't ruin the credibility of a grading company I don't understand. Perhaps BGS has similar issues or in the minds of buyers more lax grading, who knows.
The problem with those cards, from what I understand is they were all over the place in size. However they used to cut them back then was not very consistent and you had some cards wider and some taller, etc. This made it hard for them to determine that the card had been trimmed. I am not saying PSA is not somewhat responsible, but it's not like today's cards where you just go and grab a ruler and they are 2.5" wide and 3.5" tall.

I never heard that Bill Maestro admitted to trimming the card. I know he was suspected, but admitting to it would have made him some what liable for the $2.8 million price the card sold for recently.

i would take bgs over psa all day long. the bgs slab is more appealing imo. psa sells well due to their registry. as far as bad grades on altered cards or cards that dont deserve the grade they should get, i would think beckett and psa are the same in that regard.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(04-17-2013, 09:20 AM)briankort Wrote: The problem with those cards, from what I understand is they were all over the place in size. However they used to cut them back then was not very consistent and you had some cards wider and some taller, etc. This made it hard for them to determine that the card had been trimmed. I am not saying PSA is not somewhat responsible, but it's not like today's cards where you just go and grab a ruler and they are 2.5" wide and 3.5" tall.

I never heard that Bill Maestro admitted to trimming the card. I know he was suspected, but admitting to it would have made him some what liable for the $2.8 million price the card sold for recently.
"Share

A shyster sports memorabilia dealer has admitted he trimmed the corners on the most valuable baseball card ever sold, but the $2.8million 1908 Honus Wagner is likely to increase in value as a result.
Bill Mastro, Chicago's 'King of Memorabilia,' made the confession on Tuesday as he pleaded guilty to defrauding customers by using straw bidders to drive up the price of his rare sports merchandise.
The famous card, which has a well-documented story, was famously purchased by hockey legend Wayne Gretzky after it was discovered by a small-time collector in 1985.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2Qk2OBWUi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"
Smile 
(04-17-2013, 12:11 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: "Share

A shyster sports memorabilia dealer has admitted he trimmed the corners on the most valuable baseball card ever sold, but the $2.8million 1908 Honus Wagner is likely to increase in value as a result.
Bill Mastro, Chicago's 'King of Memorabilia,' made the confession on Tuesday as he pleaded guilty to defrauding customers by using straw bidders to drive up the price of his rare sports merchandise.
The famous card, which has a well-documented story, was famously purchased by hockey legend Wayne Gretzky after it was discovered by a small-time collector in 1985.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2Qk2OBWUi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"
thanks for sharing a link...
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?