`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Card flipping

OT: Card flipping
Ok so for some strange reason the topic of sports was flying around my grade 2 class (ok I may have influenced this) and when I said I was a Tiger's fan a girl shouted out she has a Miguel Cabrrera baseball card. This led to a short discussion about cards and me telling them about 'flipping cards' in the school yard at recess when I was their age. Now I am having memory lane flashbacks about it. One story I remember clear as day was playing closest to the wall after 5 throws for a pot, and one kid on his last throw chucking one card on the roof at the end to win the pot...only he realized after it was his Wayne Gretzky Card (no idea on year but I was in like gr 3 or 4 so it had to be pre 1984) and bawling his eyes out when he realized what he did. Any other childhood memories out there?
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: OT: Card flipping
(04-04-2013, 10:17 AM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Ok so for some strange reason the topic of sports was flying around my grade 2 class (ok I may have influenced this) and when I said I was a Tiger's fan a girl shouted out she has a Miguel Cabrrera baseball card. This led to a short discussion about cards and me telling them about 'flipping cards' in the school yard at recess when I was their age. Now I am having memory lane flashbacks about it. One story I remember clear as day was playing closest to the wall after 5 throws for a pot, and one kid on his last throw chucking one card on the roof at the end to win the pot...only he realized after it was his Wayne Gretzky Card (no idea on year but I was in like gr 3 or 4 so it had to be pre 1984) and bawling his eyes out when he realized what he did. Any other childhood memories out there?
I never did card flipping. I seem to remember pitching quarters, though.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I never flipped cards either but when I first started collecting in the early 70s, I had friends who put their cards in their bicycle spokes to make a "motorcycle sound". I was much smarter than they were and cut squares out of an old cereal box to achieve the same effect thus saving my cards. I did store them all in my bottom dresser drawer, in alphabetical order, with big red rubberbands around the stacks. All my Hank Aaron cards on the top and Carl Yastrzemski cards on the bottom had creases from the rubberbands. I also kept up with who got traded or retired and would "fix" their cards by crossing out their team's name on the card and writing in their new team. Doh! I still have some of those.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(04-04-2013, 01:54 PM)zeprock Wrote: I also kept up with who got traded or retired and would "fix" their cards by crossing out their team's name on the card and writing in their new team. Doh! I still have some of those.
LOL did the same thing, added the O-Pee-Chee "Now with..." on the front for those that needed it but didn't have it. Would also put my initials on the back of cards so nobody would steal 'em. I also still have a few of those lying around.

Card flipping was the best at recess though. Cover up, closest to the wall, leansies, shelvsies (window sill shot), tape cards (where you would take 10 or so cards and totally duct tape them together and you had to slide the card by throwing it Dan Quissenberry style to get it closest to the wall). No kids do this anymore either at the school I teach, my kids school, or any school I have ever been at. Not even for pokemon cards. Of course most schools in my school board long ago banned cards because the kids would trade and the parents would be in the next day to complain that their kid is upset he/she traded away Pikachu or whatever and demanded that their kid get their card back...I kid you not.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I always put playing cards iny spokes of my bike the were mucho row flexible and seemed to work a lot better
[Image: 6C3028DA-222D-46AB-98B7-BD7D0829F4B5-819...1b74d5.jpg]

You are not allowed to card flip anymore..might put someone's eye out. Also, the game has a winner and loser, not allowed anymore..everyone has to win.
Rule #17771 clause #8882 Public School rules

Oh, I used to clean up pitching cards although I never was good at getting leaners. I always seemed to come home from school with more cards than I brought.
Other memories of the same era was that I cut out Fred Lynn and Jim Rice from their 4 player cards, so they would have their own cards..yeah I did that with Larry Bird too (although at least that was perforated and designed to be separated)!
Back in '99 when the Sox held the All Star game, my Dad and I went to the Fan Fest and they had a card pitching booth there. You were given a stack of 5 cards and had to pitch then into a trash can inside the booth. Even after not pitching cards for 20+ years, I was still able to hit 4 out of 5!
Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.