`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New Guy Question(s)

New Guy Question(s)
I've been lurking for a few days, trying to get a feel for this group, but the more I read the more confused I feel.

I'm curious what your collecting strategy, theory, 'insert adjective here', you use. For myself, I collect most any card, with an ultimate goal of not having more than 20% BV invested in it. This seems odd, especially reading how you collect, but...

Though I am considering selling off some of my cards, up to now I have never sold/traded any of my cards. So I'm trying to get an understanding for how each of you approach collecting in the hopes it will help me modify my approach, and make parting with some of my cards easier.

Thanks.

RE: New Guy Question(s)
well the thing is its gonna be hard to find 2 collectors that are just alike, every collector has their own "personality" with what they want. for instance I am shooting for a specific collection consisting of baseball,football and basketball players and specific cards of each player.

some guys only collect one player or one team. some collect 1 player from each sport, some only collect refractors, some only collect SP auto/jsy cards etc. etc. etc............................

basically you are going to have to find what you are really wanting to collect, when you do that everything that doesnt fit your bill will be a lot easier to get rid of because you are using those cards to get what you really want.

[Image: LqvsVQD.png]

Welcome. I collect Matty Ryan and Falcon's. I used to be like you, and collecting EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY. But that got expensive and confusing quick!
I also collect random stuff like 3 plus color patches and pretty shiny cards that catch my eyes. I have PC stuff and then I have trade stuff.
Most stuff I keep for my own PC. Then there are those that I keep in order to flip or sell off later.
Collecting Falcons, 3 Color or More Patches!
--- 2011 Rookies and Stars Materials Black Prime Longevity 053 out of 106 found. HELP!
[Image: StevenJacksonFalconsSmall.jpg]

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/JHnGA09/library

I stick with my college - I collect all things UGA (and a few things Falcons).
Collect what makes you happy, not which (necessarily) makes you rich - unless for investments...then vintage, vintage, vintage!
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

i agree with all of the above... collect what you wanna collect.. i personally collect luke kuechly,derrick morgan,quarterback auto's and i try to complete a full set of some autograph or auto-patch card set from each year(ive done this since 2009) something fun and to chase. good luck and have fun.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

I'm in the same boat as the others above me lol I collect Peyton Manning and to keep it interesting and to keep from getting bored I also collect Michael Jordan, AJ Green and Jenny McCarthy. I'm also working on the 2010 Topps Magic Master Set and to keep from still getting bored I pick up a few cards of my favorite players growing up. Bottom line - Collect what you like and what makes the hobby fun for you.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

personally, i'm not a collector. i love to bust. must be a gambler at heart. but i enjoy seeing what everyone writes and what everyone else collects. and i like to get involved in discussions or start discussions.

as far as collecting and parting with cards go, i believe that you hold on to what you want to and what makes you feel good at the moment. that feel good feeling can always change though. that's what makes this fun...there are no rules.

(04-03-2013, 08:48 PM)branesergen Wrote: I'm in the same boat as the others above me lol I collect Peyton Manning and to keep it interesting and to keep from getting bored I also collect Michael Jordan, AJ Green and Jenny McCarthy. I'm also working on the 2010 Topps Magic Master Set and to keep from still getting bored I pick up a few cards of my favorite players growing up. Bottom line - Collect what you like and what makes the hobby fun for you.
Did you just Jenny McCarthy?
Is she still hot? I mean that was back in the 90's!
Collecting Falcons, 3 Color or More Patches!
--- 2011 Rookies and Stars Materials Black Prime Longevity 053 out of 106 found. HELP!
[Image: StevenJacksonFalconsSmall.jpg]

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/JHnGA09/library

(04-04-2013, 01:00 AM)kstjst Wrote: personally, i'm not a collector. i love to bust. must be a gambler at heart. but i enjoy seeing what everyone writes and what everyone else collects. and i like to get involved in discussions or start discussions.

as far as collecting and parting with cards go, i believe that you hold on to what you want to and what makes you feel good at the moment. that feel good feeling can always change though. that's what makes this fun...there are no rules.
While new here, not new to collecting and this exemplifies my approach since I'm a degen gambler (sports, Wall Street, the kids in front of my group playing mini golf, etc.).

I agree with everyone else - you need to focus otherwise it can become overwhelming and financially draining.

From your post it sounds like you are focusing on selling your collection and not starting one correct? If Im wrong please correct me. If Im right then eBay is your best bet when it comes to selling.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341