`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Need opinions for grading?

Need opinions for grading?
I remember a while back a member here posted some steps in cleaning off your cards, getting them ready to submit to BGS. He suggested a jewelers loupe and was wondering if this one I found on the Bay is sufficient.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-21-Golden-Je...48536ddd4d

I plan on submitting the cards I have so far from my set and want to get the best possible grade. I would like to get all 242 cards graded.

Any insight would be great, since I never submitted anything to Beckett before.

Looking for any 2012 Sterling Gold Refractors that I don't have.
[Image: child_please_banner_49ers_zps677193f9.jpg]

RE: Need opinions for grading?
If you are going to submit them all, I don't really see the point in a jewelers loupe at all. The point of it is to figure out WHICH cards to send in for grading.

Also- I sent in 8 modern cards last time. I got back (6) 9.5 gold bricks and (2) mint 9's. (I expected at least 1 of them to be a 9, since it had centering issues.) I have no jeweler's loupe, and I didn't wipe down any of the surfaces. You can eyeball them and look at how the light reflects off the surface and check the corners, and you will be just fine.

In my opinion, jeweler's loupes are completely unnecessary. Might be a tiny bit handy if you are trying to decide between a couple to send in and they look about the same. Other than that, I don't see the point, ESPECIALLY if you are planning on grading the whole set anyway. Maybe I am wrong, but 75% of my submission came back 9.5's, so I used my same system (or lack of) for the 10 day group submission that is out right now.

So, should I just stick with a soft cloth to wipe down the cards?
All my autos are on sticker so im not worried about the auto grades? Centering is usually 9 or 9.5 when it comes to Sterling since there aren't any borders
I just want to make sure the surface is good

(03-25-2013, 02:11 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: If you are going to submit them all, I don't really see the point in a jewelers loupe at all. The point of it is to figure out WHICH cards to send in for grading.

Also- I sent in 8 modern cards last time. I got back (6) 9.5 gold bricks and (2) mint 9's. (I expected at least 1 of them to be a 9, since it had centering issues.) I have no jeweler's loupe, and I didn't wipe down any of the surfaces. You can eyeball them and look at how the light reflects off the surface and check the corners, and you will be just fine.

In my opinion, jeweler's loupes are completely unnecessary. Might be a tiny bit handy if you are trying to decide between a couple to send in and they look about the same. Other than that, I don't see the point, ESPECIALLY if you are planning on grading the whole set anyway. Maybe I am wrong, but 75% of my submission came back 9.5's, so I used my same system (or lack of) for the 10 day group submission that is out right now.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1524015.html
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Thanks for the link. Detailed info on everything I need. I hope to be bringing back 242 Golds by the end of the calender year

(03-25-2013, 02:22 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1524015.html

(03-25-2013, 02:25 PM)child_please Wrote: Thanks for the link. Detailed info on everything I need. I hope to be bringing back 242 Golds by the end of the calender year
Got any blue patch autos laying around? Smile Seems we're both in the business of collecting the sterlings...