`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Best "bad" box to break

Best "bad" box to break
Buddy of mine is driving one of his a-hole friends to two card shops between Louisiana and Mississippi this weekend. He's only doing it because he knows I'm on the look out for a few Brees cards and don't have time to go myself, so he's placating his a-hole friend by bringing him to blow money on cards as well.

Here's the rub: He's wanting to prank the guy. He's one of those "Type A" type personalities that has to always look cool to his audience and will irresponsibly throw money around to impress any number or lack of witnesses.

My friend wants to goad the guy into purchasing boxes that typically have a terrible return on investment. The guy doesn't do enough following of the hobby to realize what's better than the other. So we're hoping to get him to buy something that most of the card collecting community gets bent out of shape over.

We're thinking anything from 2009-present day should be in stock for most shops.

Thoughts?
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

RE: Best "bad" box to break
supreme!

MAINLY COLLECTING KANSAS CITY CHIEFS PLAYERS
new updated bucket 12/16

2012 Topps Chrome...box prices have jumped pretty high, with the only way to make anything back is to pull a Andrew Luck, RG3, or Russell Wilson auto...which anyone can tell you...is tough when you're only going to get 1 auto out of a box.

You know very well that no matter what you recommend with the goal of someone getting a bad box, the guy will pull a box with some really great hit no matter what the odds are against him getting anything good. Seriously, if you are trying to get a guy to get a bad box and recommended that he buy Score, he'd get a hot box where every pack had an autograph or a End Zone and they would be of good playerrs. Its simply the way things work.

Having said that, just about any 2012 product should work. Especially horrific for me this year was base Topps, Topps Prime, Panini Promience, Contenders, Topps Magic, anything from Topps really, base Upper Deck, Prestige (awful, awful product), Contenders, Certified, Crown Royale, did I mention Topps anything? Every product this year has been hit or miss and way more miss than hit.

Personally I'd go with Contenders as the worst product of 2012 from my opinion - awful looking cards, full of autographs of awful players, way overpriced, strong odds of getting autographs which wouldn't add up in value to 10% of what you paid. Contenders is also good because its much more sneaky. Or Prestige whose cards were of especially poor product for a modern product

But over all, there is one product which if it is present is the absolute must as far as practically guaranteeing garbage: Panini R&S Longevity set a new low in card companies putting out total garbage but its primariy sold at Target (but some local card shops do get it as well). If they have that, that is definitely the way to go to provide maximum likelihood of badness.

Topps Magic is good for frustration - the cards look really good and you get three autos but chances are they are bad - makes a good combination for a lousy break which won't be near worth the money. And also has the added attraction that it may not be immediately apparent that its a lousy break because you do get three autographs and the cards look really nice.

But I'd still go with Contenders - I know its kind of going against the grain, but in my opinion 2012 Contenders is horrible and ranks as the "worst" good box around.

i still stick by supreme. around $100 and all you'll get is a crappy jersey card. not even a guranteed auto.

MAINLY COLLECTING KANSAS CITY CHIEFS PLAYERS
new updated bucket 12/16