`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rare MJ addition

New Rare MJ addition
Really getting into the more obscure early issue MJ cards these days and stumbled on the Merchante Spanish cards/stickers from 1985-86 and 1986-87. These cards have a very cool design and are incredibly rare in any condition. The 1985 blue back variation has only 5 graded copies period. The red maybe 12. The 86 is more plentiful but even still, maybe we are looking at 20 or so. Couldn't resist a nice raw example until I can find the right graded one for each. Missed out on a nice PSA 7 (second best out there) for the red a week ago. Still pissed about it.

[Image: merchante86_zps154a2c10.jpg]

RE: New Rare MJ addition
The J. Merchantes are very fun to go after, I'm not sure if Beckett's new registry will help this but I believe there are several BGS graded copies of all years as well which increases the number that are out there. In fact I just had a 87-88 J. Merchante graded although it doesn't show up in Jordan's population report. I'd be curious what all older international/oddball Jordan cards you've run across so far.
 photo mjheader.jpg

Nice piece! I'm not familiar with these cards but very cool stuff.
[Image: 23892124190_71315005dc_b.jpg]

(03-11-2013, 02:06 PM)TBarn291 Wrote: Nice piece! I'm not familiar with these cards but very cool stuff.
Thanks. MJ's early cards have become my focus so I decided to look into truly rare early issue cards and came across the J.Merchante cards. I want to get the 1985-86 next but have never seen it in a BGS holder so was only looking raw or PSA. That will be my next major card purchase for sure. I think it has a HUGE upside.

I love the Gigante as well and the early panini's are top notch too.

nice one! what year (1984-85 or 1985-86) and what number is that sticker? I can't find a checklist for that product...

(03-12-2013, 03:35 AM)folkertino Wrote: nice one! what year (1984-85 or 1985-86) and what number is that sticker? I can't find a checklist for that product...
This one is from the 1986-87 J.Merchante set. They were printed on flimsy stock and meant to be adhered to an album page that was sold the same year. The backs have various ads for Converse and other products and are tough to track down.

Not sure on the full checklist but the 1985-86 set has an awesome Sabonis "RC" and a Magic that's pretty sweet. The 1986-87 has the first ever David Robinson card and a Drazen Petrovic card that I am dying to get my hands on.

Very nice!
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

That is one sweet looking card Smile
Bucket: http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/CJ81daman/library/?sort=3&page=0
Basketball: Austin Rivers, Dennis Rodman, Marcus Smart, Clint Capela, Washington Wizards
Soccer: Switzerland, Bayern Munich, Southampton, DC United

I'll be getting FULL checklists out to the Beckett guys for the Int'l series of the 85 and 86 Merchante, and some of the Gigantes, Los Ases, and other sets shortly!!! They seem to have been doing great job lately of updating some of the basketball sets!
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/