`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS Sub Grade Question

RE: BGS Sub Grade Question
(02-20-2013, 07:42 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: Is a BGS auto grade an authentication? I thought the grade for the auto was just that a quality grade with no verification of authenticity. Isn't that why they limit what auto cards they will grade?
That's what doesn't make sense. A pack pulled card, other than Buybacks, have the authentication on the back, so there shouldn't be a reason why they didn't give the auto a grade.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

This is what BGS offers in terms of their autograph grading. You have to use the JSA service if you need it authenticated. If you search previous posts on this forum you will find a very helpful, albeit frustrating, discussion on which auto cards BGS will and will not grade. My assumption is they either something went wrong in your submission or in their review of your order and the auto didn't get graded. Or it could be that the card isn't sufficiently authenticated by UD and therefore BGS won't grade the auto. Either way I believe in you original post you mentioned wanted it authenticated which BGS doesn't do.

Beckett Grading Services will grade cards with "certified autographs". That is, cards issued by major manufacturers that carry additional design elements indicating the manufacturer has certified the autograph of the card. The autograph itself will not be authenticated, but will be given a separate numerical grade based on the quality of the ink signature.

In grading the autograph itself on a card, the key feature being examined is the production quality and clarity of the signature (and other after-market ink, such as hand serial-numbering or inscriptions). This does not take into account the legibility of the player's autograph; rather, it involves aspects such as bubbling, smearing, positioning/location, etc.

The autograph subgrade will stand alone and play no part in determining the overall grade. Generally speaking, autograph flaws will only deduct from the autograph grade. For example, a card that was signed and immediately smeared will get a lower grade on the autograph, but the surface will not be affected. An exception to this rule would be if the autograph flaw affects both the signature quality and the card itself; for instance, a signed cut that creases the surface and also smears the autograph. The best rule of thumb is that any flaws related to the actual ink of the autograph will normally be deducted from the autograph grade, while other flaws generally are taken into account on the surface grade. When the signature is on a sticker or cut, and the sticker/cut itself is creased (or torn, stained, etc.), this is taken into account in the surface grade. Excess glue bleeding onto the cut is also counted against surface. If the flaw also damages the autograph itself, both the surface and autograph grade may be lowered.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(02-21-2013, 08:36 AM)SHowley2003 Wrote: This is what BGS offers in terms of their autograph grading. You have to use the JSA service if you need it authenticated. If you search previous posts on this forum you will find a very helpful, albeit frustrating, discussion on which auto cards BGS will and will not grade. My assumption is they either something went wrong in your submission or in their review of your order and the auto didn't get graded. Or it could be that the card isn't sufficiently authenticated by UD and therefore BGS won't grade the auto. Either way I believe in you original post you mentioned wanted it authenticated which BGS doesn't do.

Beckett Grading Services will grade cards with "certified autographs". That is, cards issued by major manufacturers that carry additional design elements indicating the manufacturer has certified the autograph of the card. The autograph itself will not be authenticated, but will be given a separate numerical grade based on the quality of the ink signature.

In grading the autograph itself on a card, the key feature being examined is the production quality and clarity of the signature (and other after-market ink, such as hand serial-numbering or inscriptions). This does not take into account the legibility of the player's autograph; rather, it involves aspects such as bubbling, smearing, positioning/location, etc.

The autograph subgrade will stand alone and play no part in determining the overall grade. Generally speaking, autograph flaws will only deduct from the autograph grade. For example, a card that was signed and immediately smeared will get a lower grade on the autograph, but the surface will not be affected. An exception to this rule would be if the autograph flaw affects both the signature quality and the card itself; for instance, a signed cut that creases the surface and also smears the autograph. The best rule of thumb is that any flaws related to the actual ink of the autograph will normally be deducted from the autograph grade, while other flaws generally are taken into account on the surface grade. When the signature is on a sticker or cut, and the sticker/cut itself is creased (or torn, stained, etc.), this is taken into account in the surface grade. Excess glue bleeding onto the cut is also counted against surface. If the flaw also damages the autograph itself, both the surface and autograph grade may be lowered.
Thanks man, that's what makes it so confusing, since it's pack pulled, don't understand why they wouldn't grade it.

Guys, so I'm guessing they didn't think it was real, but with the information I provided them, they have updated the site and my auto grade is a 10!

(02-21-2013, 02:32 PM)htowntigger Wrote: Guys, so I'm guessing they didn't think it was real, but with the information I provided them, they have updated the site and my auto grade is a 10!
well thats good I guess...gunna get it reslabbed to state that?
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(02-21-2013, 02:32 PM)htowntigger Wrote: Guys, so I'm guessing they didn't think it was real, but with the information I provided them, they have updated the site and my auto grade is a 10!
Can you post a picture of the of the front and back of the graded card.
If the system shows an auto grade for this card's BGS serial numberthen they should've placed the auto grade on the front on a seperate label or on the back behind the card's grade label. If it has neither then all you have to do is call them and they'll fix it.