`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Help getting back to collecting

RE: Help getting back to collecting
(02-18-2013, 07:35 PM)briankort Wrote: I don't know all the details, but in a way I think they were forced out. It had to do with revenue and whether or not it would be profitable to still make cards based on the new NBA deal, right?

Anybody have a more clear picture of what happened?
I actually paid attention to all the reports and stuff at the time. Upper Deck and Topps official line was "We are not renewing our license with the NBA at this time due to the financial distress of the econmic times". Basically, they didn't want to pay what the NBA was asking and weren't prepared to cater to the international market which is what the NBA wanted (more distribution internationally). Panini were quite happy to enter into the NBA market and US domestic market as a third string company but circumstances led to them being the top dog. I found it funny, however, that a week after Upper Deck and Topps declined the NBA contract due to "Financial distress" both announce even more higher end products for the remaining licenses and Upper Deck announces they have signed an Exclusive deal with the NCAA and CLC - driving out all other competitors for the college license. Some financial distress, huh? what's even funnier is the hole Upper Deck dug themselves with the court cases that followed - Konami (Yu-Gi-Oh), MLB Properties, MLB players association, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Upper Deck International vs Upper Deck America, MLB Properties rd 2. Plus the 18 month delay on the release of Fleer Retro.... Upper Deck is on the verge of Bankrupcy and have no-one to blame but themselves.

I should add that the NBA told Panini (once the deal was signed) that they had to have at least some products that collector's were familiar with and suggested they acquire the DonrussPlayoffLP licenses. By doing that, Panini found themselves deeper into the US domestic market earlier than they intended (they were intending of starting with the NBA and gradually moving onto the other sports) as Donruss.... already had commitments for the 2010 NFL season. In buying the licenses, Panini also bought those commitments.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.