`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Topps magic retail vs hobby box odds

Topps magic retail vs hobby box odds
Ruling out value packs, have not hit anything out of at least 50 packs!

If you had a Walmart/target next to a hobby shop, would you take your chances on 5 Blaster Boxes or go next door for a Hobby Box? Prices are equal, I know you would get just a few more packs with the Blasters, but the Hobbys guarantee at least 3 hits.

RE: Topps magic retail vs hobby box odds
Because of my recent odds, blaster. 4 hits in 5 blasters. 2 of the hits have more than paid for my blasters, which never happens for me.

Retail
[Image: 1V8zK.jpg]

That is an interesting question for Topps Magic because the odds of hitting anything other than a base autograph are actually equal. Hobby does have additional hits in the game used numbered to 25, but that is really about it - and they probably only come one per case. I have gotten 3 blasters and 1 hobby box. Blasters had two autographs (Eric Decker and Daryl Richardson) and one black (Justin Blackmon). There were 3 1948 mini and 3 Charismatic Combos. No pigskin minis. Hobby had three autographs (David Wilson redemption, Cedric Benson, and Bobby Wagner) and one black. All regular autographs (although if a short print list is released like in 2010 Magic that may change) - no pigskin minis, no hobby only cards. 2 Charismatic combos and 1948 minis.

Of course, 3 blasters cost less than 1 hobby box as well.

Remember though that with blasters you can spend $100 and get zero autographs, zero black cards, zero pigskin minis. Hobby gets you a sure thing, but honestly hobby in Topps Magic seemed extremely weak as compared to what I got from retail.

I've been seeing a lot of people post some amazing hits out of Magic....and a good majority of those hits came out of blasters. I bought an entire case and got nothing close to what I've seen out of the blasters that people have posted.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

i agree with retail.. alotve my hits ive ever pulled came from retail ironicly... makes ya wonder how the packaging system goes because they obviously wanna sell the hobby more than the retail.

in 2011(discount shelf) i bought 2 packs of 2010 topps chrome for 5 bucks at wally world and i hit a c.j. spiller black chrome/25 auto.. weird how it works sometimes.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

Ok, so you might have seen my post from last night, I pulled the RG3 auto from the Walmart Blaster. So I think I did the math right, and 4 Blaster Boxes have the same amount of cards as the Hobby Box. The Hobby box costs about $10-$15 more than the 4 Blasters. Anyways, yesterday I bought the last 4 Blasters that Walmart had (I drove to a total of 4 Walmarts and 2 Targets and they were either already sold out or the vendor hadn't showed up yet to stock). But the last Walmart on my list had 4 left. In doing all that driving, I stumbled upon a card shop that I didn't even know existed, and luckily they had some boxes and I bought one.

I am going to open the Hobby Box tonight or tomorrow and post my hits to compare the retail VS hobby, and I know its mostly the luck of the draw but it is fun to compare anyway.

I think I will never top the hit from my Blaster because I usually don't have luck like this, but I pulled the RG3 auto! I am still trying to find info on this card, like how many are out there and what the value might be. I have tried looking it up, and not too many people have pulled one so far so it is tough to compare. A member here from my other post (thank you again BTW) found a completed listing on Ebay for either $220 or $250,,, I read on another forum site somewhere today about that particular listing and how the buyer 'Got a super great deal' - as far as price. Regardless, it will be interesting to track because I'm still stoked! I know its not a Namath RC or anything, but I truly never get lucky pulling big names.

Anyways, didn't mean to write so much and tell you my life story, but if you are still reading, my other hits out of the Blasters were an Andre Roberts Auto, Black Mini Favre, Pigskin mini Ray Lewis and Kendall Wright, a regular Russell Wilson, a few of the 1948's and, Supernaturals, and Magical Moments. I think I also pulled another Andrew Luck Rookie Enchanment ( Have a bunch of these and no idea if they hold value).

Will post my Hobby hits as soon as I get around to it!

photo photo2_zps02cb7977.jpg
 photo photo3_zps79ca7478.jpg

(02-13-2013, 10:04 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: That is an interesting question for Topps Magic because the odds of hitting anything other than a base autograph are actually equal. Hobby does have additional hits in the game used numbered to 25, but that is really about it - and they probably only come one per case. I have gotten 3 blasters and 1 hobby box. Blasters had two autographs (Eric Decker and Daryl Richardson) and one black (Justin Blackmon). There were 3 1948 mini and 3 Charismatic Combos. No pigskin minis. Hobby had three autographs (David Wilson redemption, Cedric Benson, and Bobby Wagner) and one black. All regular autographs (although if a short print list is released like in 2010 Magic that may change) - no pigskin minis, no hobby only cards. 2 Charismatic combos and 1948 minis.

Of course, 3 blasters cost less than 1 hobby box as well.

Remember though that with blasters you can spend $100 and get zero autographs, zero black cards, zero pigskin minis. Hobby gets you a sure thing, but honestly hobby in Topps Magic seemed extremely weak as compared to what I got from retail.
I agree on the retail, mostly ... but it truly is hit or miss in retail as far as hits.

Yesterday I busted six blasters and got four autos, including a mini booklet redemption (1:26,500 packs) ... today I busted two more (from a different store) and got absolutely nothing good at all ... the best card was a Blackmon base rookie with severely dinged corners.

I'm certainly not complaining after yesterday's fest, but it's like anything else with busting cards ... hobby is a safer bet as far as guarantees.

Put it this way ... if I would have busted those two lame blasters yesterday, I would have quit while I was behind.

With hobby, worst case scenario you always have trade bait.

OK, I am sold.. RETAIL WINS.. So I spent more on the Hobby Box than on the Blasters and hit a wall. The auto hits were unknowns, so I would rather take my chances in the future.

The hits were a Robert Turbin Redemption Card, a Lance Kendricks auto, Brandon Flowers auto, 1948 Blackmon, black mini Reggie Wayne, a Luck RC, an RG3 ENCHANTMENT, a few Magic Moments and Supernaturals, and that was where my $100 ended!