`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Card shops making a come back in the future? Display pics too...

RE: Card shops making a come back in the future? Display pics too...
(02-16-2013, 12:44 AM)ryancholden Wrote: There are waterloo traders here? I live in Waverly. I thought the closest shop was davenport, 2 hours away.
Well maybe the one in Cedar Rapids closed. Used to be one at the mall. Can't remember the name of it.

Got anything good to trade Big Grin
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

I drove Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles last summer. Along the way, I went to 3 different card stores. One in Joliet, IL, one in Albuquerque, NM and one in Las Vegas, NV.

I was shocked by the range of i) friendliness, ii) stock, and iii) prices between the 3 stores.

The Albuquerque store (Bubba's Baseball Bullpen) was by far the best. I bought a box of 1991-92 Hoops and a Bill Russell 1961 Fleer card for a great price and spent an hour chatting to the staff.

The other stores weren't nearly as good.

However, generally speaking, the prices were astronomical. It is far cheaper for me to buy cards online. Even though I live in the UK and have to pay postage, it still works out cheaper than buying cards in stores.

It's a real shame though, because hobby stores are a fun place to visit.

I have one LCS about a half hour away. The prices there are expensive and the guy is a little out of touch and doesn't like to bargain. Personally, if I am throwing down a grand on boxes I expect a discount without having to haggle on prices(money talks after all).
We have another LCS about an hour away. The guy is just...awesome. The guy is so cool that my wife asks if she can make the trip with me. He doesnt stand there and talk shop the whole time. He includes the wife in conversations and all of that. Its always a pleasant experience there. His prices are awesome and he always gives deals when you spend a good amount of money.
I look at it this way. The LCS that I dont like makes it very easy for me to just go into a walmart and buy retail instead. The LCS that I like I set aside a few hours when I go figuring that I will be looking all around the store for new stuff. Its an actual hobby shop.
Since I Have an outlet to grab wax I only buy singles on eBay. I normally pick a price that I want to pay and I let the card go if I am outbid. I wont like the card as much if I overpay for it.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q728...232c31.jpg

I am typically a fast shipper and I ALWAYS use Delivery confirmation. Sometimes I forget to provide the number.

(02-15-2013, 11:29 PM)TBarn291 Wrote: Hey who are the baseballs signed by?
The one on the left inside the vintage 50's glove is from a Rockies vs Cubs spring training game my friend and i attended. My friend caught the home run ball and gave it to me which was pretty cool. Can't tell you who hit because i don't remember.

The one on the right was signed by several PGA Tour golfers. They came to Iraq during my second tour 2005-2006 to do a signing. Was like the only thing (the ball) i had at the time. They also had photos signed for us too. All free!! Was really cool for them to go 1/2 way around the world to c us. Some names are Jerry Kelly, Cory Pavin, and like 4 others. Can't remember right now. Not at home to look at them, still here at the ER with my son...lol

Not Big Big names, but big enough for the average golf guy to know who they are...i'llcheck the other names later. Also need to find the auto'd pics...

Every time I go into my LCS, its packed. People spending money left and right. I just wish they were buying more basketball so he would order more variety of product. Its a great place for Baseball, Football and Hockey though.
Oh, and its funny cause everytime I go in there, at least on person will come in with their collection from the 80's or 90's, tryin to sell him their cards. They get a wake up call and usually end up learning a bunch really quick and sometimes end up buying stuff. Some will even get that look in their eye, where you know they may be hooked.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]