`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Have you ever bought a damaged card because of its scarcity?

RE: Have you ever bought a damaged card because of its scarcity?
if the seller gave you a warning about it, and you needed it for your own collection, as long as you can live with the damage, then sure...at least until another one comes along.

Yes. See example below. Only 10 of them. Only one I've ever come across. I have other cards that have damaged corners or chips to foil or the window around the jersey isn't quite right. I can live with that. Not every card is going to be pristine and I don't give a lick about grading. Of course I would love to replace the example below because the damage on this one IS so glaring:

[Image: 05throwbackthreadsgenerationsprime.jpg]

Now - this one also has damage. Truth be told, I didn't even notice it for a while because it blends in with the design of the card. But on the upper right edge - that is actually a piece of black foil that is flaked off - not a silver stripe. Oh well - its a 1/1, not much can be done there! I still like it
[Image: 05LCMirrorBlackfront.jpg]
[Image: 00PandPSigpiece2_2424.jpg]

Collecting: Travis Fryman, Champ Bailey, Steve
Largent, Steve Yzerman, Brian Holzinger, Mike Johnson and Jordan Sigalet.

Different sport, but my good buddy has been an MJ fan for basically his whole life ... he had a bunch of old school Nike posters and what not, and his wife made him a deal ... to make room in the house, sell the posters and put it toward an MJ rookie ... he got like $400 out of the posters and bought a PSA 4 MJ ... literally the only thing wrong with it is a creased corner (more like a wrinkle), but the corner is still sharp.

He never thought he'd actually own an MJ rookie, so he's THRILLED with the PSA 4 ...

(02-08-2013, 01:40 AM)uwash97 Wrote: If it's that limited then I guess it depends on the price. A few months ago I came across a Favre 1997 Dynagon Careers Gold Holofoil card, of which the database says there are only 30 of and I had never seen. It was in a $1 box at a show. Well, most of the gold holofoil is chipped off so it's in bad shape. But it was only a dollar, so I bought it and will now look for an upgrade.

Paid quite a bit more than that for this one even though the upper left corner is clearly flawed. So maybe it's not as bad as what you are describing, but even if it was creased and I could get it for $5 I probably would. There are only 4... I probably wouldn't pay more than $10.

[Image: 4.jpg]
Yeah the JT Im referring to is way worse than that Favre lol. I think you did well on the 1997 and a Favre /4 is always a good card to have even if it is damaged.
(02-08-2013, 02:45 AM)jdetter23 Wrote: I would do it lol Especially if its some card I've never seen before that I need. Can always upgrade but I would atleast be able to say I have one, since its my collection and im not doing away with it anytime soon.
Exactly my thought!
(02-08-2013, 07:09 AM)phinzphan1372 Wrote: got a steal on this .... only bought it because its 9/9 and a nice auto Smile.... slight little ding on the A

[Image: IMG_0003.jpg]

its the TTT on the bottom
Those are SICK!!!
(02-08-2013, 10:19 AM)hazezofgreen Wrote: you won a particular lot that I was also peepin', I'm sure. If that is the one, IDK, that was bad lol
Was it all 2006 absolute? If so then yup thats the one. haha. You need any of those cards?
(02-08-2013, 02:16 PM)greg brown Wrote: Yes. See example below. Only 10 of them. Only one I've ever come across. I have other cards that have damaged corners or chips to foil or the window around the jersey isn't quite right. I can live with that. Not every card is going to be pristine and I don't give a lick about grading. Of course I would love to replace the example below because the damage on this one IS so glaring:

[Image: 05throwbackthreadsgenerationsprime.jpg]

Now - this one also has damage. Truth be told, I didn't even notice it for a while because it blends in with the design of the card. But on the upper right edge - that is actually a piece of black foil that is flaked off - not a silver stripe. Oh well - its a 1/1, not much can be done there! I still like it
[Image: 05LCMirrorBlackfront.jpg]
Really stinks having damage on the Champ NFL logo but to be honest its still one awesome card!!!
(02-08-2013, 08:18 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Different sport, but my good buddy has been an MJ fan for basically his whole life ... he had a bunch of old school Nike posters and what not, and his wife made him a deal ... to make room in the house, sell the posters and put it toward an MJ rookie ... he got like $400 out of the posters and bought a PSA 4 MJ ... literally the only thing wrong with it is a creased corner (more like a wrinkle), but the corner is still sharp.

He never thought he'd actually own an MJ rookie, so he's THRILLED with the PSA 4 ...
Heck Id be happy with a Jordan RC that was cut in half lol.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

I probably should not publicly admit this but I could see myself paying a nice amount for a 1/1 card of a player I collect even if it was ripped to pieces, perhaps even pay the same amount if it was in pristine condition. Exceptions would perhaps be those older Collector Edge and Pinnacle 1/1 since in many cases multiple 1/1 of some cards exist. I know this because I own two of the exact same 1998 Pinnacle Mint 1/1 cards.

As the serial number of a typical defected card gets higher though I will then need to negotiate a lower price.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]