`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fleer 1986-87 Rookie set in BGS 9.5

Fleer 1986-87 Rookie set in BGS 9.5
Hi all, I have been thinking about buying some Rookie cards of players like, Drexler,Isiah,Ewing,Barkley,Marlone,Dominique,Olajuwon.....
As they are all from the Fleer 1986-87 set and i can't stand buying cards in less then MINT condition, i might as well get them all in BGS 9.5...

Most of you already know i'm an MJ collector and to be honest i have no idea about prices of any other players!

So, can anyone that knows the Fleer 1986-87 BGS 9.5 market, let me know what kind of money i need to spend on each rookie, Don't worry about the MJ, i already have it....

Any help would be great!
Gary.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

RE: Fleer 1986-87 Rookie set in BGS 9.5
If you already have the MJ in BGS 9.5 then the rest is chump change in comparison. The values are based partly on level of stardom and partly on rarity.

The values of BGS 9.5's have steadily gone down over the last few years so you can decide for yourself if that decline in price is a buying opportunity or a trend.

These prices are based largely on memory of Ebay sales I have watched:

Drexler-$130-175

Isiah: $200+

Ewing$350+

Barkley $350+

Malone $275

Dominique $400+

Olajuwon $250

From what I have seen the most common 9.5 I have seen on Ebay is the Drexler by far so you should be able to get that easily for $150 or so.

The next most common would be the Malone and Olajuwon which is why their values are probably less than their stature as players in this set.

Barkley isn't too rare either but is popular, you could probably get him for $300-350 if you're patient.

Isiah used to be rare, but I have seen them a lot more lately.

The Dominique and Ewing are the rarest in terms of how often they are on Ebay. I know the Nique is very condition sensitive in the set. I didn't think the Ewing was that tough of a card and not sure what the population results are but I don't think I ever see the Ewing on Ebay for whatever reason.

I have most of these guys in 9's including the MJ but have to work on upgrading to 9.5's. I will have to live vicariously through your collection in the meantime. Good luck.

(01-26-2013, 03:35 AM)slum22 Wrote: If you already have the MJ in BGS 9.5 then the rest is chump change in comparison. The values are based partly on level of stardom and partly on rarity.

The values of BGS 9.5's have steadily gone down over the last few years so you can decide for yourself if that decline in price is a buying opportunity or a trend.

These prices are based largely on memory of Ebay sales I have watched:

Drexler-$130-175

Isiah: $200+

Ewing$350+

Barkley $350+

Malone $275

Dominique $400+

Olajuwon $250

From what I have seen the most common 9.5 I have seen on Ebay is the Drexler by far so you should be able to get that easily for $150 or so.

The next most common would be the Malone and Olajuwon which is why their values are probably less than their stature as players in this set.

Barkley isn't too rare either but is popular, you could probably get him for $300-350 if you're patient.

Isiah used to be rare, but I have seen them a lot more lately.

The Dominique and Ewing are the rarest in terms of how often they are on Ebay. I know the Nique is very condition sensitive in the set. I didn't think the Ewing was that tough of a card and not sure what the population results are but I don't think I ever see the Ewing on Ebay for whatever reason.

I have most of these guys in 9's including the MJ but have to work on upgrading to 9.5's. I will have to live vicariously through your collection in the meantime. Good luck.
WOW!!!
Great post, exactly the answers i needed to know, thank you very much for the insight, saves me a lot of research!

I was going to take my time with this, but i think i could just about buy them all today from what i have seen listed.....

Makes me think the entire set in BGS 9.5 is a real possibility....
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

Glad to help! Good luck getting the cards you want.

If you are thinking about getting the whole set it's a pretty good time to go for it. 9.5's have been going down quite a bit for a while now. My theory is one of the problems causing the decline has been the lack of a registry for BGS graded cards. There have been posts lately about the registry coming back. I think that will have a positive impact on all BGS cards especially for iconic base sets like this one. So I am hoping/expecting for the 9.5's to bounce back and increase in price again when the registry is out for a while.

If you do go for the set, just know that one of the quirks of the set is that cards that are multiples of 11 (22,33,44...) and the cards immediately before those numbers (21,32,43...) tend to go for oftentimes significantly higher prices than normal. Apparently the reason for this is because based on how the cards were produced those were the most condition sensitive cards and most difficult to find in good condition.
There was just a big set break on Ebay. I bought about 13 or 14 common cards, most of them for roughly $24-$28. I got some of the rare commons for a discount too. I lost out on a bunch of other auctions but there were a lot of great deals. I don't see the 9.5 commons going much lower than $25. They used to go consistently over $50.

If you ever want any more info on the 86 set just post a message on the board or PM me and I'll be happy to help if I can.