`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to organize/sell aquired collection?

How to organize/sell aquired collection?
Hi all,
Not a "collector" myself but I have a collection of cards I acquired dating from mid 80's to 2005 (guessing about 5000 total) and from what I have read and researched nothing all that special in it as it seems there are bazillions of cards from these dates. Most of the collection is disorganized and in boxes- Some are semi organized by sets.... there does seem to be many from various sets such as Leaf 2005, Score 1991's etc.
So I am looking to sell some of them, all of them..... whichever makes sense.
My questions are : 1) should I spend the time to organize them by sets to see if I have any complete sets (thinking completes sets are more valuable?) or organize by players? Teams?
2) Should I pick thru them for players names I recognize and look for value that way?
3) if I have incomplete sets what's the best way to deal with them? Can they be sold as partial sets or would it cost more to ship them than they are worth?
4) Does anyone ever sell random "grab bags" of say 500 cards ?? Don't know just trying to figure this out- guessing notSmile .
5) Take the whole lot to a dealer and get an offer??
6) Give them out to the kids in the neighborhood along with a clothespin for their bikes (god I wonder if I every destroyed a valuable card doing that as a kidSad
In the end may just give the collection to a friends son but trying to figure out if there is some value here .
Really questions I know but pointers appreciated.
Best regards

RE: How to organize/sell aquired collection?
if you have any Jose Canseco's in there I need I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands.
My funny athlete names collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/935847757314558
IG: dicks_n_funny_athlete_names
Whatnot: funnyathletenames

(01-19-2013, 06:16 PM)showstopper2 Wrote: if you have any Jose Canseco's in there I need I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands.
hehe I'll make a noteSmile

from that year range you're best just trashing them because that's about what they are worth.

You might go through and look for any key RC's like Griffey but honestly even his base rookie stuff is only worth a few dollars these days even the once highly sought after '89 UD. Pull any insert cards and check and see if any of them are worth anything as some of the 90's inserts were hardly to find than a lot of people realized and are now highly sought after. Other than that any base veterans you can trash because you're looking .10-.20 best case scenario and nobody is going to want to pay $2-$3 shipping on something like that.

(01-19-2013, 06:50 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: from that year range you're best just trashing them because that's about what they are worth.

You might go through and look for any key RC's like Griffey but honestly even his base rookie stuff is only worth a few dollars these days even the once highly sought after '89 UD. Pull any insert cards and check and see if any of them are worth anything as some of the 90's inserts were hardly to find than a lot of people realized and are now highly sought after. Other than that any base veterans you can trash because you're looking .10-.20 best case scenario and nobody is going to want to pay $2-$3 shipping on something like that.
A better option would be the friends son, I'm sure he would appreciate them more than the trash can would.
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

That is a whole lot of worthless. I've given cards like that out instead of candy on Halloween. I'd give them to something like a Boys and Girls Club.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Most of the 80s stuff isn't worth your time. Starting in the mid-90s or so, there might be some semi-decent stuff of star players, but again, probably not worth your time. If I were you, I might consider looking for Jeter and A-Rod rookies, but that's about it. Any inserts would probably be worth looking at too. (Look for cards that are different from the rest of that set--gold borders, or reflective, etc.)

My advice would be to give them to a kid you know would enjoy them.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*