IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Frustrated...
Sad 
Frustrated...
Dear All,

I'm brand new to collecting football trading cards. Me and a friend of mine made a pact to give each other duplicate cards of each one we collect. I've been collecting regular topps 2012 cards, topps 2012 chrome, and topps 2012 strata.

I decided I'd go through my cards tonight and look through and separate duplicates (I sorted my cards by the number on the back). I feel like all I've been doing is sinking money into this. To complete my regular topps 2012 cards, I have to get like...100 more cards. This is truly shocking, since I've got a stack of 400 or so cards that are duplicates beside me.

So, I guess my question is simple. How do you personally collect football cards? I mean...I can't spend this much money, just to collect a set. How do you collect whole sets of cards?

I went to the local card shop, and the guy looked at me like I'm nuts when I wanted to know if he sold singles of common cards. In fact, he had none.

I bought a hobby box of topps strata, and I was quite satisfied. I believe (fingers crossed) that I got most of the base set cards. That's the only hobby box I've ever bought. The rest have been blaster boxes bought at wal-mart, and I guess I've bought around 8 of them (topps regular 2012).

On the bright side, I got a Drew Brees short print and a Vernon Davis short print. Other than that, that's the only thing of true value I have from regular topps cards. I've pulled no autos (only did in chrome).

Am I frustrated for no reason? Is this normal? How do you collect sets without going into the poor house? I have like 100 cards I need and I can't buy these for .99 on the bay. What should I do?

My friend says I should abandon the idea of collecting sets and only collect good rookie cards. I understand this...but shouldn't there be a goal involved?

Truth is, all I really want out of this is a hobby. A hobby that one day maybe 20 years from now I can look at my cards I collect and say, "That's cool...I can sell my collection for a couple hundred". I'm not trying to get rich, but I want to hold value.

Any suggestions for a frustrated newbie?

Thanks,

Rick

P.S. I have bought almost every topps chrome rookie relic on ebay, and I guess the price averaged to be about 3 dollars a card. Do these cards hold value? I really like that they have pieces of jersey in them.

P.S.S. Hopefully this isn't a stupid issue. I'm brand new to this, and I really don't even know where to start. I've put the money in, but I feel like I'm getting nothing out.

RE: Frustrated...
Lol this definietly isn't a stupid issue. The goal of collecting is to have fun. Ya sure it will be fun down the road to maybe sell what you've got for a little $, but right now just collect whatever makes you happy. There is gonna be no way to be collecting and not go in to the hole unless you are selling the cards that you really aren't attached to. For me, I collect patches and autographes of Dwayne Bowe, Priest Holmes and Jamaal Charles. That's been really fun for me (always looking for new cool cards for my collection) but that's been getting a little expensive so I decided to switch for a little while to Super Collecting Jamaal charles. I'm working on getting all 2,261 different cards. Sounds crazy but honestly it is a ton of fun. Im also working on building the topps platinum set Building sets is fun but in the long run, any newer sets aren't going to hold much value. My dad is a set collector but he collects vintage sets like 1960 Topps baseball. Set a goal for yourself and it makes things a lot easier, also working on 1 set at anytime is much much easier, and much easier on the wallet as well. As for the 100 cards you need, the forums here are a great place to find the cards you need. Everyone is always trading here so I'm sure someone here will have what you need. Also, maybe find a new card shop lol. If he doesn't sell singles of base cards then hes crazy. Send me a message with some of the cards you need and maybe I can help you out. I hope this helped a little lol, I'm half asleep. But on that note, welcome to the boards and welcome to collecting!
[Image: desmond_trufant_zpsf20c3d16.jpg]
RC - 16/29
Auto - 39/213
Mem - 2/9
1/1s - 7
Total -89/476 / 18%

Dont buy blasters if you want the sets. In honesty in todays collecting its really better to collect what you like be it player, team or other. If you like the break of packs go with boxes from your Local Card Shop but that definitely is a money pit. Sell what you dont care about and collect the rest.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

You could always buy a completed set on the bay. There is a bunch of strata on there for around $17, pull out the cards that you need, and put the rest back on there. Even if you get $6 for the "lot", you get what you wanted, a complete set, and made a few bucks back. That way is cheaper then a retail box and way cheaper then a sealed hobby box.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/kollectornet/

Mainly collect Harry Douglas, Baltimore sports teams and Atlanta sports teams.

[Image: harry.jpg]

You need to buy what makes you the happiest.... Post your set needs on here and I'm sure someone will be willing to trade dupes.... Im working on Chrome base and Strata base now..... post your list and we will see what you can accomplish Smile

And as Brane said.... don't buy blasters... Strata retail card stock is much thinner than the hobby card stock... also if you just save up the money instead of buying 5 blasters you can get 1 hobby box.... much better collation and better chance of NOT pulling as many dupes.

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

Let me know which ones you need. In the future, if you plan on collecting something like Topps, I would recommend just waiting for the factory set to come out. It will be less expensive in the long run. I have a crapload of 2012 Topps so I should be able to help you, I just need the list of what you need
[Image: 2a1aA.jpg]

To answer your question about value, typically base cards hold no value nowadays, which is why that shop owner had none and why you can get a set cheap on eBay. Topps and topps chrome are prob two of the better sets to get as many people tend to collect those two, so they may hold a bit of value later. Jersey cards, sadly, also don't hold value well, and are barely a step above base cards, most of the time the jerseys were worn at a event, not a game, which detracts from them as well.

IMO the best items that hold value are HOF & lock HOF(Brady, manning etc) rookies and autos, so a good idea would be to collect 1-3 guys you really like and focus on there stuff, ocassionaly buy some hobby boxed for fun, an finish up the topps and topps chrome set. Hope this helps.
Also don't get sucked into current year Rc hype, they are always real pricy then drop off in year two, so if you can, wait a bit to buy your guy.

One word- Patience... I love building sets and have been doing it for years. Just takes time. I have thousands of singles in my collection from doubles. I like to buy boxes not only for the hits but also for the sets. If set building is your thing talk to other members here or check the bay for complete sets.
Check me out! Updating all the time. Working my ORG daily! Have lots to trade.

Collect Patriots, Texans, Bruins, Texas A&M, UCONN and current project 2011 Certified FOTG /250 set 2011 Playoff Contenders Set

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j369/Mercier2002/

I have tons of sets I have built and or building it does get frustrating sometimes esp Because some collectors feel its a waste of time to trade base but I on the other hand love to trade it and build sets so if I have anything you need LMK
Photobucket

Hey - welcome to the Beckett boards.

Like you I too collect some sets each year. But here's the thing - for me I KNOW I'm going to spend a lot more money putting it together than it's actually worth in the end. For me, that extra money represents the 'enjoyment' I get busting open packs, keeping track of my haves and wants (yeah, I'm sort of ocd like that!), and searching for the missing cards.

Usually I kick off each set by purchasing a hobby box, and you're right, depending on the set that often leaves you 50-100 cards or more short of the complete set. I'll also purchase some blasters if the mood strikes me while I'm at Wal mart or Target.

The best way I've found (shameless plug) to complete those sets - load up your duplicates and wants into your Beckett organize and trade! It's 1) cheaper and 2) a lot more fun than just pulling cards out of a box at a card shop anyway.

Like the others said, don't let anyone else dictate to you what you should or shouldn't collect. And my advice would be don't get caught up in the 'value' of what you have. Yeah, it's nice when stuff holds its value (or...heaven forbid...actually increase in value!) but collecting is supposed to be a hobby, not a business. Collect whatever you want, and collect within your means.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.