`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
organize layout
12-31-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: organize layout
Beckett certainly does mean what they say. When using ie9 the website does not look or work properly (as of 12/31/2012), yet when using google chrome browser, the website does look and work properly. I do not particularly like switching back and forth between browsers but it is well worth it when compared to the time wasted and problems associated with using ie9 on Beckett.

It just seems to me that Beckett should not release/implement any changes to the website until those changes work for all the major browsers. Why gamble on providing one set of users with a poor experience, why bet on Google over Microsoft if you do not have to make that bet? Even if Google provides some type of remuneration to Beckett for the promotion of their browser, it still seems that Beckett is making a large and unnecessary bet on making and releasing changes that work on Google Chrome but do not work on internet explorer.

I do give kudos to jacoby for trying to help resolve the issue, but Beckett could also simplify his life if they would just wait to release changes until they worked for all browsers. He would not be responding to this issue. I see no upside for Beckett in releasing changes that only work on one browser and then subsequently going back and fixing the release for the other browsers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2012, 06:28 AM
(12-31-2012 03:29 AM)PopSon5481 Wrote:  Beckett certainly does mean what they say. When using ie9 the website does not look or work properly (as of 12/31/2012), yet when using google chrome browser, the website does look and work properly. I do not particularly like switching back and forth between browsers but it is well worth it when compared to the time wasted and problems associated with using ie9 on Beckett.

It just seems to me that Beckett should not release/implement any changes to the website until those changes work for all the major browsers. Why gamble on providing one set of users with a poor experience, why bet on Google over Microsoft if you do not have to make that bet? Even if Google provides some type of remuneration to Beckett for the promotion of their browser, it still seems that Beckett is making a large and unnecessary bet on making and releasing changes that work on Google Chrome but do not work on internet explorer.

I do give kudos to jacoby for trying to help resolve the issue, but Beckett could also simplify his life if they would just wait to release changes until they worked for all browsers. He would not be responding to this issue. I see no upside for Beckett in releasing changes that only work on one browser and then subsequently going back and fixing the release for the other browsers.

the scroll issue isnt beckett specific. there is a mechanism in ie9 that has triggered this in other sites. in fact, im willing to bet dollars to donuts that ie8 will work correctly. obviously, this wasnt done intentionally, and it's not like they have a huge team of qa/qc checkers (well, unless you want to include us as end users. but it should be tested before that step)

this was caused - as far as i can suss out - after they were doing some changes to the gui, and the tweek only happened in one specific browser, one specific version of a browser. with multiple O/S and browser combos to platform test on, i can imagine why some things fall through. and relatively, compared to some of the massive problems the site has, this problem is an inconvenience rather than a bug that makes something unusable

my guess is that while they might test across all browsers, they focus primarily on chrome, and if their dev team is anything like most dev teams, most dont use IE as a primary browser (or even secondary), so it gets tested last and less rigorously

i dont use ie with this site, so if someone else could test out the compatibility button with ie9, that would be great. also, if someone is still rockin ie7 or ie8, see if you have the scroll issue (and tst the compibility button as well)

if no on else does, ill take a crack at it sometime this week

onedollardutch.blogspot.com
01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
(12-31-2012 06:28 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote:  the scroll issue isnt beckett specific. there is a mechanism in ie9 that has triggered this in other sites. in fact, im willing to bet dollars to donuts that ie8 will work correctly. obviously, this wasnt done intentionally, and it's not like they have a huge team of qa/qc checkers (well, unless you want to include us as end users. but it should be tested before that step)

this was caused - as far as i can suss out - after they were doing some changes to the gui, and the tweek only happened in one specific browser, one specific version of a browser. with multiple O/S and browser combos to platform test on, i can imagine why some things fall through. and relatively, compared to some of the massive problems the site has, this problem is an inconvenience rather than a bug that makes something unusable

my guess is that while they might test across all browsers, they focus primarily on chrome, and if their dev team is anything like most dev teams, most dont use IE as a primary browser (or even secondary), so it gets tested last and less rigorously

i dont use ie with this site, so if someone else could test out the compatibility button with ie9, that would be great. also, if someone is still rockin ie7 or ie8, see if you have the scroll issue (and tst the compibility button as well)

if no on else does, ill take a crack at it sometime this week

Your answer makes good sense to me, thank you.
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll take my donuts! Blueberry cake please lol Im on IE8 (Work PC as I use FF at home) and its got the scroll bars (FF does not) and when they come up campatibility mode is not available.

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC