`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best way to store cards long term?

What is the best way to store cards long term?
Hi all,

I recently visited my parents and retrieved the collection of Ken Griffey, Jr. cards I amassed as a kid. I decided to put them all in new toploaders and premium penny sleeves, as the old ones were scratched and some had begun to turn yellow. As I began transferring them to their new holders, I noticed that many of the nicer looking high gloss or holographic cards were sticking to the penny sleeves. Some of them even left marks on the surface of the cards once removed. I was highly disappointed, as the entire purpose of putting them in penny sleeves and toploaders to begin with was to protect them. I don't really like the idea of boxing them without sleeve or toploaders, and I feel leaving them in pages will result in warping or possibly sticking as happened with the penny sleeves. What is my best alternative? Do I really need to buy 1,000 magnetic snap cases? Has anyone else had this issue, long or short term?

RE: What is the best way to store cards long term?
I keep my commons (assuming you have commons, if not my apologies) in binders with 9 cards per page. Been doing this since the early 90s and no issues.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

I box almost all my collection. 5000 count boxes work great
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Some of the older plastics that are no name brands were straight up cheap garbage as I had a bunch on my early/mid 90s cards do the same exact thing due to the gloss. The new sleeves such as ultra pro are a higher grade. I have since put all my cards in binders, even the commons(i only have a few thousand) to store. The PC's or higher ends go in either top loaders or magnets in a box. Every now and then i'll open one up to flip through since i enjoy looking at them.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(04-15-2013, 06:44 AM)muz0 Wrote: Some of the older plastics that are no name brands were straight up cheap garbage as I had a bunch on my early/mid 90s cards do the same exact thing due to the gloss. The new sleeves such as ultra pro are a higher grade. I have since put all my cards in binders, even the commons(i only have a few thousand) to store. The PC's or higher ends go in either top loaders or magnets in a box. Every now and then i'll open one up to flip through since i enjoy looking at them.
Pretty much echo what he said. Get those things in some high quality sleeves and it won't be a problem in the future. Sucks that is happened though. Hopefully not to any of your higher end cards.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

Only issue with binders is my steel reinforced bookshelf is bucking under the weight of 70 or so binders.

Imagine when I had a fiberboard bookshelf...
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

If i recall, the penny sleeves made with pvc would damage cards over a long period of time. I have a bag of unused pvc sleeves & they turned cloudy just sitting in a drawer.
I've been using the non pvc for a long time & have no issues with card discoloration or any other problems with long term storage.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

I keep my Piazza PC penny sleeved and in binders. I try to keep the binders laid flat as much as possible. Really just don't have the space for any other method, but it's all held together pretty well for the last 15 years or so.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

(04-15-2013, 06:44 AM)muz0 Wrote: Some of the older plastics that are no name brands were straight up cheap garbage as I had a bunch on my early/mid 90s cards do the same exact thing due to the gloss. The new sleeves such as ultra pro are a higher grade. I have since put all my cards in binders, even the commons(i only have a few thousand) to store. The PC's or higher ends go in either top loaders or magnets in a box. Every now and then i'll open one up to flip through since i enjoy looking at them.
Yeah, I believe it may have been the sleeve quality as well. The problem is, once I felt the gloss come off a card I loved, leaving an unmistakeable mark forever, it has become hard for me to trust any sleeve. Luckily, all Griffey's cards have lowered in value since I was collecting him back in the 90's (I'm TRYing to look on the bright side here), so finding a reasonably priced replacement for many shouldn't be too difficult. These cards just had a bit of sentimental value as well. Thanks for the post!
I have been building my more recent sets with binders. I prefer to put my Griffey collection in individual holders. But as far as the binders, I have some worries about them as well. Less because of cards sticking to the page than gravity warping them. For one, if I stand my binders up, the bottoms of the pages rest on the shelf. I would think that over decades, gravity would weigh in and possible warp them slightly. Secondly, if I lay all my binders flat, I fear every card might get a slight, Chromish type warp. I don't worry about this with Chrome cards so much, sense they typically come from the factory with this warp. Have you checked the bottom cards on binders after storing for long periods? Any issue there? Thanks for your input.