`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I'm Very Annoyed At Topps!

RE: I'm Very Annoyed At Topps!
(10-05-2012, 09:22 AM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Why do people say this when its clearly wrong? Topps doesn't have a monopoly, they were selected by MLB to be the only company to produce licensed MLB cards. Other companies can (and do) produce baseball cards.

Anyone against this should also be against the "only officially licensed soft drink" and everything else the MLB licenses!
"they were selected by MLB to be the only company to produce licensed MLB cards"

Yes, exactly. Don't want or need the unlicensed stuff. So, it's a monopoly.

(10-05-2012, 06:44 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: "they were selected by MLB to be the only company to produce licensed MLB cards"

Yes, exactly. Don't want or need the unlicensed stuff. So, it's a monopoly.
Sure, so this means you're not buying cards... you're buying licenses. I only buy cards myself LOL, but I certainly understand and appreciate the fact that people collect different things.

Any licensing body has the right to protect their interests the best way they see fit. There's only one officially licensed soft drink and anyone can choose not to buy it, this really isn't any different.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(10-05-2012, 07:56 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: Sure, so this means you're not buying cards... you're buying licenses. I only buy cards myself LOL, but I certainly understand and appreciate the fact that people collect different things.

Any licensing body has the right to protect their interests the best way they see fit. There's only one officially licensed soft drink and anyone can choose not to buy it, this really isn't any different.
What I am saying is, Topps knows it has the most desirable and widely collected cards because of the officially licensed logos and game photos ... certainly to each his or her own as far as anyone who likes the unlicensed stuff, but most people buy/prefer the licensed stuff. It's a fact.

This would be different if I could go to the card aisle at Target or WalMart like in the old days (well, a couple of years ago anyway) and decide between a box of Upper Deck, a box of Topps or a box of Fleer (or whatever).

If I didn't like the photo/design/product makeup of a certain card or brand overall — like the Harper Update card — I could simply choose to buy a different product.

Now I can't ... if I only collect the "legit" licensed cards.

So, you're right, it may not be a monopoly in the technical sense, but to me it is in terms of options for the collector.

It just bothers me that they couldn't come up with a grand total of like 11 different photos.

I don't see why you are complaining about the SPs. If you want the card then you are going to have to pay for it. Thats kinda like me complaining about Topps making 2002 Bowman Chrome Joe Mauer autographs. I want one but its too expensive for me right now, Dang you Topps for making an expensive card! Its added value to those who are opening the product. Now if the Harper in Topps Series 2 was selling for $10-20 would you still be complaining about it being an SP?
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]