`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
opinions Welcome

opinions Welcome
Guys and Gals help me out on this… I am confused on something… The other day 1 card a 2004 SP authentic Gold of Philip Rivers sold for $2550. One card.. YET.. I listed my partial 2004 leaf r&s master set on the the other site for two years . Which includes just to name a few.. 3 Roethlisberger autos /5/10/50. 4 Rivers autos /5/10/50/25 , 3 Manning autos /5/10/50, 3 Schuab autos /5/10/50, 3 Fitzgerald autos /5/10/10, T Brady auto /25, 2 Michael Phelps SP RC autos and tons of other low numbered inserts . There are more than 250 autos I have in this set. I know I had it listed high for what people are willing to spend and I am not saying I want to sell it, (Thus the steep tag I have on it) but WHAT MAKES PEOPLE SO WILLING TO SPEND 2550 ON ONE CARD AND SO LITTLE ON A HUGE LOT. I have been offered 1250 for this and someone even offered me $50 LOL… I understand popularity of a set/card has a lot to do with it but I just wanted to get OP’s opinions on what makes certain cards so VALUABLE compared to others. This is just an example of something I am having experience with. Just the cards I have listed for above I could make over $3000 by selling them individually. Like I say, I am really not trying to sell this set as I love the look and really want to finish my master set someday, I am really just curious and trying to get a better understanding on what motivates people to spend so much on one card? And for fun here is the updated scans of my set. What would you say its worth? I would say its priceless LOL ;-) but I am extremely biased

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/mrdallas08/

RE: opinions Welcome
I'm no expert, but those SP gold rookie autos before Exquisite debuted seem to be some of the most sought out cards. I'd even consider the '03 SP gold Palmer to be my holy grail card. That card would be the centerpiece for my collection. Nothing would compare to it. Not even an insane looking 1/1 auto patch card. I got to assume even "nobodies" bring in a decent price.
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

I would tend to agree that the Gold SP were pretty great looking cards... and way popular, but I just cant believe 2550 fort he Rivers, when a MAnning Gold right before the SUper Bowl sold for 1585... just crazy

Starting prices chase off a lot of people... for instance, if you are asking for $99,999 OBO, I'm just going to laugh and not even submit an offer. Put up what you really want for your set vs some ridiculous price and I bet you start getting more bites... good luck!

A few thoughts, straight from the hip -

- 2004 Rookies and Stars and 2004 SPAuthentic are 2 pretty different sets, originally aimed at 2 different price point/collectors. SPA is considered a much more valuable and desirable set to have.

- Nature of the hobby, there are ALOT more player collectors than set collectors. You can and will get more interest and bidding on a single, low numbered, auto patch card of a star than on a laundry list of cards of many different people, most of whom the buyer has no interest in.

- My thought on the "lowball" offers you've recieved ties in with my last comment. Chances are the buyers want some of the cards, and want nothing to do with owning the rest of the items. They most likely plan to break up the set, and worry about how long it would be to see any money back from sales.

Another way to look at it is this. If you look up the value of a complete set in the guide, it will tell you a price. However, if you were to go down the list of single card pricing and add it up, that number will come out as much higher.

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(09-19-2012, 01:02 AM)usafshelland Wrote: Starting prices chase off a lot of people... for instance, if you are asking for $99,999 OBO, I'm just going to laugh and not even submit an offer. Put up what you really want for your set vs some ridiculous price and I bet you start getting more bites... good luck!
Truthfully, I had it listed at $7,500 before which I thought for the amount of autos in it wasnt to unreasonable... as much money as I put into this thing it wouldnt even cover how much I have put into it by a long shot. So i jacked the price more or less to have it out there in case someone actually was really interested and I could recoupe some cost. although after reading this 99,999 OBO sound like a winner LOL I think Ill try that... Smile J/K

I really dont think 7500 is that over priced

(09-19-2012, 07:59 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: A few thoughts, straight from the hip -

- 2004 Rookies and Stars and 2004 SPAuthentic are 2 pretty different sets, originally aimed at 2 different price point/collectors. SPA is considered a much more valuable and desirable set to have.

- Nature of the hobby, there are ALOT more player collectors than set collectors. You can and will get more interest and bidding on a single, low numbered, auto patch card of a star than on a laundry list of cards of many different people, most of whom the buyer has no interest in.

- My thought on the "lowball" offers you've recieved ties in with my last comment. Chances are the buyers want some of the cards, and want nothing to do with owning the rest of the items. They most likely plan to break up the set, and worry about how long it would be to see any money back from sales.

Another way to look at it is this. If you look up the value of a complete set in the guide, it will tell you a price. However, if you were to go down the list of single card pricing and add it up, that number will come out as much higher.
All good points....
Really its not the base autos that confuse me as really nothing compare to the base SP authentic autos. Patches, Look, quality cant even come close to SPA IMO I just think the price discrepency is a little out of whack.. But again on card autos and appeal go a long way.

And i understand that sets price out less than individual cards... but i would rather not get lowballed and just emailed that "hey I want x from your set would you be willing to sell me that one only?" Which people have done and I can appreciate that.

Speaking of Quality, I wish they would have had exquisite in 2004, I would have loved to have seen that.. Those cards, pre losing the NFL license were the best IMO. That is a set i would have chased...
(09-19-2012, 11:26 AM)chads-cards Wrote: I really dont think 7500 is that over priced
Thanks Chad, I was starting to feel pretty bad Smile Like maybe I was one of those guys who thinks they have a really RARE Troy Aikman card card from the 91 pro set. and list it for 200 bucks. LOL

(09-19-2012, 11:33 AM)diablo71 Wrote: All good points....
Really its not the base autos that confuse me as really nothing compare to the base SP authentic autos. Patches, Look, quality cant even come close to SPA IMO I just think the price discrepency is a little out of whack.. But again on card autos and appeal go a long way.

And i understand that sets price out less than individual cards... but i would rather not get lowballed and just emailed that "hey I want x from your set would you be willing to sell me that one only?" Which people have done and I can appreciate that.

Speaking of Quality, I wish they would have had exquisite in 2004, I would have loved to have seen that.. Those cards, pre losing the NFL license were the best IMO. That is a set i would have chased...

Thanks Chad, I was starting to feel pretty bad Smile Like maybe I was one of those guys who thinks they have a really RARE Troy Aikman card card from the 91 pro set. and list it for 200 bucks. LOL
Naw haha. I wouldnt call myself an expert but I do make my living on this hobby and that price would not scare me away. The problem is there might be 1 person in 10k that would want the whole lot ( aside from someone who would break it up for resale). So thats why you were lowballed. The was someone who just wanted the big ben autos and was going to sell off the rest.

Newest opinion, break the set up... spending $7500 at one time, might as well be buying me a new used truck... get it in pieces and people may not feel like they are buying a whole vehicle, but rather all the parts to make them one.