`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG Panini Prime, For those who dont know... Mind blown!

RE: OMG Panini Prime, For those who dont know... Mind blown!
(08-31-2012, 03:12 AM)irbecards32 Wrote: Oh BTW The ovechkin #6/6 in that break that wasnt impressive sold for $770... And then you still have the TIES card that will go for about $1500, and then you still have 54 other cards that can be sold... Yes I agree, that case break didnt wow me either (smirk)... I mean come on, Ryan Nugent Hopkins didnt even pop out of a pack and shake his hand.. lol

Sorry i had to be smug with this post, cause I still dont understand the blind loyality to UD... I dont think ive ever witnessed a guy make his money back on a case of CUP, let alone make it back on one card with 50+ other cards that are pretty sweet remaining to sell...
THAT card went for $770? Is that one of those helmet sticker cards? If anyone pays $1,500 for the Prime Ties, they're nuts. Just look at the cards, what is there to be wow'ed about? Big swatches of one or two/color jerseys. A ton of multi-jerseys that look like OPC Premier Remnants, Autos that look a lot like Private Signings. The Prime Colors have nice swatches on them, but just like 04-05 UD Ultimate patches. And manufactured letter cards (SP GU, UD Black), and quad RC jersey autos (OPC Premier, UD Black). For Panini's premier product, I would expect and demand more originality, thought, and quality put into the product instead of just half-baked retreads of old ideas couple with only two new things - Ties and Helmet Stickers.

The guy "made his money back" because of the Prime Ties. What if that guy didn't pull the Ties, then how much money would he make back on his break? The same can be said for any big money product, if you pull a Shield out of Cup or Ultimate or Limited, you've about made your money back.. and you DEFINITELY made your money back when that was a new thing. My lack of enthusiasm over his break had nothing to do with pulling those cards, just more to do with the quality of the overall product... if I had that break, I might consider keeping one or two of the Prime Colors, but that's it.

I don't know where you think there's blind loyalty to UD (unless that was a blanket statement), but I dislike UD almost as much as I dislike Panini. The difference, to me, is that UD in it's history has done a great many innovations. And Pinnacle/Donruss did a bunch too. All Panini did, was buy Pinnacle/Donruss and try to copy products. And, in my opinion, they have the reverse Midas touch.. everything they touch turns to...

If anyone else wants jersey ties... I've got about 20 game worn jersey I'm selling that have ties on them
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

The blind loyality wasnt a direct statment to you, so sorry if it seemed like a knock, it just seems UD guys are all bout UD no matter what another company puts out. Or no matter how bad UD seems to be. Personally I like Panini better this year cause its been nicer to me. I want to like UD and keep buying giving it another chance & time and again I just keep getting nothing from it & kick myself when I buy yet another box and dont land anything, not even a Sharks card for my PC...

Oh BTW Prime changed there packs from 5 cards per to 7 cards per, so thats guys box wasnt just a fluke... Thats pretty cool of them.
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

(08-29-2012, 06:54 PM)jowlsisacanucksfan Wrote: I will have to agree with you here, I don't mind the prime ties ideas and the name plates etc.. but the majority of these cards don't have a picture of the player or an autograph associated which to me brings them down a lot. Not saying I wouldn't kill to have the Canucks Ties cards but really all of these deisgns don't do it for me, I won't be buying this product if I was going to buy high end stuff like this knowing that The Cup isn't too far away.
I have to cosign as well. I was going to complain that there aren't enough bios and stats on the backs of cards these days and now player pictures are getting pushed out? Is BGS going to start a subgrade on whether those laces are tied in a "Mint" fashion or re-tied downgrading it to "'Very Good" or something? Are we going to have lace-fakers on eBay? : )

I'm not a fan of the gimmicks but I like that they're experimenting. That's where innovation comes from and I'm sure some amazing stuff is going to come from the UD-Panini battle for dominance.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(08-31-2012, 03:12 AM)irbecards32 Wrote: Sorry i had to be smug with this post, cause I still dont understand the blind loyality to UD... I dont think ive ever witnessed a guy make his money back on a case of CUP, let alone make it back on one card with 50+ other cards that are pretty sweet remaining to sell...
I don't get the blind loyalty to UD either. They have some nice stuff, don't get me wrong. Here's the feelings I get from each company:

Panini - Innovative yet fun. They seem to favor surprising their customers (gimmicky, but in a good way). Some of their ideas are hit or miss, but they have a good mix of products. Problem: way too many redemptions.

In The Game: Best hobby enthusiast products on the market. They really are hockey guys who love the game.

Upper Deck: "Businessy." Good for resale value, but somewhat homogenized experience. Love products like UD Ice, though. As far as big hits, I just never seem to do well with UD products.

Topps/Bowman (Baseball): Somewhat similar to Panini, with more emphasis on stat- and nostalgia-based products, plus the chase of prospecting for those who are into that side of the hobby.

But that aside, Panini Prime looks fantastic. I ordered a box of Prime today and will look forward to seeing what this product is all about. irbecards32, I think in another thread you said you never did a box of Dominion. I don't know what the new 11/12 will be like, but if you can save up for a box of 10/11 Dominion, you can find one from the $320 - $400 range. It's a bit pricey, and hit or miss just as much as any product, but if you like Panini products you'll like Dominion.

(08-31-2012, 07:42 PM)arena_guy Wrote: I don't get the blind loyalty to UD either. They have some nice stuff, don't get me wrong. Here's the feelings I get from each company:

Panini - Innovative yet fun. They seem to favor surprising their customers (gimmicky, but in a good way). Some of their ideas are hit or miss, but they have a good mix of products. Problem: way too many redemptions.

In The Game: Best hobby enthusiast products on the market. They really are hockey guys who love the game.

Upper Deck: "Businessy." Good for resale value, but somewhat homogenized experience. Love products like UD Ice, though. As far as big hits, I just never seem to do well with UD products.

Topps/Bowman (Baseball): Somewhat similar to Panini, with more emphasis on stat- and nostalgia-based products, plus the chase of prospecting for those who are into that side of the hobby.

But that aside, Panini Prime looks fantastic. I ordered a box of Prime today and will look forward to seeing what this product is all about. irbecards32, I think in another thread you said you never did a box of Dominion. I don't know what the new 11/12 will be like, but if you can save up for a box of 10/11 Dominion, you can find one from the $320 - $400 range. It's a bit pricey, and hit or miss just as much as any product, but if you like Panini products you'll like Dominion.
I always look at the Dominion cards in ebays search and have always liked what ive seen, I just dont know much about them. Who makes it? What are the boxes/packs? 1 per/5cards? I assume I can come up with the money. Heck I went to the store today with $400 in mind for my spending limit and ended up walking out spending $700 on 4 boxes of prime, so anything is possible when its in front of me haha
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

(09-01-2012, 12:33 AM)irbecards32 Wrote: I always look at the Dominion cards in ebays search and have always liked what ive seen, I just dont know much about them. Who makes it? What are the boxes/packs? 1 per/5cards? I assume I can come up with the money. Heck I went to the store today with $400 in mind for my spending limit and ended up walking out spending $700 on 4 boxes of prime, so anything is possible when its in front of me haha
It's basically Panini's version of The Cup. It's kind of like one step above what is now Panini Prime. But I look at some of the stuff Panini Prime has like the Prime Ties and that's an even bigger hit than what was in 10/11 Dominion.

Prime Ties...Wow, and are they gonna be $$$
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/