`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.22 Average
Farewell to modern cards!

RE: Farewell to modern cards!
(08-28-2012, 01:25 PM)jblaze1718 Wrote: this is a good post, and for people that are collecting for either monotary gain or to actually have a piece of what someone used in a game then its very relevant. Personally I collect modern cards just for the thrill of collecting players, trying to complete a goals, and enjoy the aesthetics of the card.

I will say to those who want to feel like they are holding a true piece of someone's jersey, don't worry about the speculation and until someone verifys that it isnt real and as long as its real in your mind then it is something you can enjoy for yourself.
+1
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Reading this post is one of the main reasons why I don't much collect "game-used" cards. I'm more of a base collector, collecting for the sake of trying to complete a set with a design, particular players, or retro-feel to it. Would I love to have a Ruth, Cobb, or Mantle jersey card if I knew it was real? Absolutely....but never really knowing is not worth my money. I just keep it simple. And that's one of the many things I love about this hobby. You can make it however big or however small you want it to be. I always try to explain that to my girlfriend, who has recently got into collecting non-sports cards. She asks what she "should" collect. I tell her simply, "Collect whatever makes you happy." I will always prefer some no-name vintage 60's card over a super refractor or an other of today's shiny, eye-catching cards. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Teemu count: 1642 different cards

Always looking for Selanne's
for my PC.

E-mail: suomibear8@aol.com

As basically stated already, if your looking to collect authentic game used memorabilia, go buy a jersey or a bat. These are baseball cards, not necessarily about memorabilia. I know they are marketed as such, but if your that worried about it, baseball cards aren't for you.

In the end they are all just pieces of cardboard. From a '52 Mantle to a prospect card. Only thing that makes a mantle or vintage so valuable is the rarity that was created by accident because nobody saved them. People want a mantle or mays because they Remember them playing as a kid. Well for me that's the 90s cards. I collect Bernie because he was my favorite player when I was a kid. Do I really care if it's an authentic piece of jersey? Not really. Let's say it is, its only a inch and half piece of material of a jersey he wore, big woop. If I actually wanted a game used jersey I would buy one. They are baseball cards its about the design of the card as a whole. Whether its a '50s card or '87 Fleer, or a game used card. People complain about variations of "1/1's", how many '52 mantle's or any other high end vintage cards Are there out there? More than 3 or 4. Companies have to "artificially" create rarer cards. It's only the demand of a card by a big population of people that makes it worth anything, monetarily speaking anyway. It's what it's worth to you, and means to you that matters in the end.

With that said, I would never pay thousands of dollars for a baseball card anyway.
Super-Collector of Bernie Williams

Photobucket

Personally, I wish they'd stop producing new cards with legends on them. That seems like it would take care of a lot of issues people seem to be wrestling with. If I opened up a pack of this year's A&G and pulled a base Tim Lincecum and Willie Mays, I'd be more excited about the Lincecum, even though Willie Mays is the greatest player of all-time. Just like you want your relic to come from a player's playing days and not an old timer's event, I'd want my Willie Mays card from his playing days and not 40 years after he retired.

It's completely absurd that they mix current and retired players into the same 'new' product. I understand that MLB is behind that decision, but it's really dumb. They're throwing in these legend autos and 'game-used' cards to drive up collector interest along with the price. Release a legend-exclusive high-end product at high-end prices and spend the savings in production cost on some authentic memorabilia and autos and whatever. No need to add 20 different Lincecum parallels for me to add to my PC want list. Nobody's buying high-end for that.

I hope more 'grave-diggers' abandon modern cards. I buy 2012 cards because I like 2012 baseball and want 2012 baseball players. At this rate, I'll be collecting 'new' Tim Lincecum cards along with my grandson 40 years from now.

The key to collecting is collect what you like and what makes you happy. When it isn't fun anymore change what you collect or quit.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

(08-30-2012, 01:26 PM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: The key to collecting is collect what you like and what makes you happy. When it isn't fun anymore change what you collect or quit.
Good post. Accurate and too the point.

i am just shocked to see the comment about spending 6 figures a year on the hobby, i would no longer have my genitals attached if i spent a fraction of that. im lucky to not end up sleeping on the couch when i come back from the lcs with 20 bucks worth of sleeves and toploaders. of course im kidding (kinda lol!) but i would of loved to see your collection before you started selling, must of been amazing. thanks for the read.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

I have thought the same thing and was so disappointed that I ended up selling ALL of my cards on eBay. When all was said and done, I ended up profiting a bit but never again will I buy a card. I still browse this forum to see what people 'pulled' but that's about it.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

Probably the most well-written post I have seen on Beckett Forums. You were plagued by many questions that have bothered me since jumping into HOF relics (350+) a few years ago.

Moving from modern and into Pre-War cards is never a bad choice and you appear astute enough to avoid the vintage pitfall, doctored cards. I have chosen to make my way through the relic mine field, avoiding Mantle polyester swatches, other questionable relic characteristics (as you highlighted), and recently discovered counterfeit swatches inserted AFTER being pulled out of packs.

The card manufacturers are at a point where they need to post complete provenance details either on the card or in an online database. As a manufacturer, relic history and provenance would provide a competitive advantage, but as you hinted, revealing details could blow up in their face, particularly for cards that are already in circulation. At the very least, it should be a practice moving forward.

Great post!
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

I enjoyed the post, and although I don't have the funds to collect like that even if I wanted to and probably never will. I can see myself having gone down the same exact path. as a child of the 90s with baseball cards, (born in 81 collected from 89-94 originally before jumping back in around 2009)

so many legitimacy issues and I'm already skeptical and don't trust a lot of places as being honest as it is just in my cautious nature. if you have the funds for it and its what you enjoy, pre-war vintage is where its at - if money was no limiting factor.

as it is I mostly stick to low numbered 90s parallel of the players I like and enjoy seeking out those 90s rarities to handle my card buying itch.

the only modern guy we collect is just a low end middle relief guy - so even his most expensive cards we have ever bought of his never eclipsed the $150 mark - we overpayed for a decent number of his cards when it comes to "street value" and i know we wouldn't come close to making the same back reselling his stuff, but that really was not a factor in that minor part of the collection - if it was his and we needed it - we got it. we like it and our collection is fantastic!

Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors