`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What hobby box should I buy?

What hobby box should I buy?
I haven't bought a pack of sports cards since 1992. I'm from Oklahoma City and in the last year, the Thunder have broke me out of card collecting funk. Been buying strictly OKC Thunder cards from Ebay and local dealers as well.

After watching several box breaks videos on YouTube, I'm interested in doing some of these videos myself. Being that my card collecting knowledge is severely outdated, I'm looking to pick up some some current boxes and hoping to score some OKC Thunder gold!

I know the 09 Exquisite has some sick rookies but I can't afford the prices I've seen on Ebay for those boxes.

I know Panini Gold 2012 is coming out July 4th. I may be willing to snag a box or two of those. What else is out there that would be good that has more packs? I think Panini Gold only has 10 cards per box.

Anxioius to hear thoughts or suggestions.

RE: What hobby box should I buy?
how much are you willing to spend on a Box?

Are you looking to put a set together or just want Higher end Cards?

If you're after a set, I'd go for 2 boxes of 2011-12 past and present from dacardworld.com (US$84 a box). Darn good chance of getting a complete set out of two boxes, plus your looking at 3 AU's and 1 GU per box and the inserts are a flashback to the 90's.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Mostly looking for higher end cards but I have the urge to crack some packs. Smile

2 Past Present and 1 Standard Gold should make for a nice video.

Anyone else going to purchase Standard Gold? It looks promising.

you could always go for preferred but, gold standard and any other high-end product, it's a reall hit and miss for your dollar.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

If your looking for Higher end then you dont want past and Present

So is it harder in this day and age to crack packs if you're a high-end collector? Back in the late 80s/early 90s, they were just beginning to introduce premium types of card such as Upper Deck, Stadium Club, Action Packed, and Skybox. Auto and patch insertions were unheard of at the time. I like the idea of these high end packs as opposed to just buying boxes in hoping to score. For high-end stuff, it seems like a smarter buyer is just buying the cards you want as opposed to cracking pack at $200 each for Panini Gold. We all know that auto patch guaranteed doesn't mean that it will live up to your expectations.

Panini Preferred looks desirable but at only 4 cards per pack for $185, it feels like i'm getting more value with the new Panini Gold at $200 for 10 cards. Trying to decide if I should do one of each or just do 2 Panini Gold at this point.

What does the average base card sell for in the Preferred/Gold lines? Retail would suggest it sells for $20. Does it sell for that much or much less?

(06-24-2012, 11:53 PM)trintdaddy Wrote: So is it harder in this day and age to crack packs if you're a high-end collector? Back in the late 80s/early 90s, they were just beginning to introduce premium types of card such as Upper Deck, Stadium Club, Action Packed, and Skybox. Auto and patch insertions were unheard of at the time. I like the idea of these high end packs as opposed to just buying boxes in hoping to score. For high-end stuff, it seems like a smarter buyer is just buying the cards you want as opposed to cracking pack at $200 each for Panini Gold. We all know that auto patch guaranteed doesn't mean that it will live up to your expectations.

Panini Preferred looks desirable but at only 4 cards per pack for $185, it feels like i'm getting more value with the new Panini Gold at $200 for 10 cards. Trying to decide if I should do one of each or just do 2 Panini Gold at this point.

What does the average base card sell for in the Preferred/Gold lines? Retail would suggest it sells for $20. Does it sell for that much or much less?
Not even close. You can easily get some base cards from last year's Gold Standard for like $3.50 shipped, if not cheaper. You're going to find it very difficult, with any product from any year, to have a good ROI. Most times, ROI is negative, that's why those who want good ROI normally buy cases because you're likely to get a case hit, but even then, you may just barely come even.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

If you want a cheap box, try 11-12 hoops. Many say its crap, but its around $41-42, two autos with some nice inserts and a large base set.

Personally, I like past and present alot. Also, 10-11 panini season update is VERY nice for the price, 1 auto and 3-4 relics per box