`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What to collect...

What to collect...
Hey folks. I'm just getting back into collecting. I had a pretty decent collection when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where to start. Since I have no real favorite players, I'm thinking about just collecting my favorite team, the Reds.

Does anyone else here do team collecting? What's the best way to figure out where the Reds are in a set? Do the card sets release official checklists I can print off?

By the way, I see that collecting now a days is far more overwhelming than what it used to be. Though, it's for the good of the hobby, I'm sure. Back when I collected in the late 80's, we just got excited when we pulled a big name RC or maybe even a printing error. Now there are so many nice inserts, parallels, etc.

RE: What to collect...
Welcome back! Be careful because this can become very addicting. There are a couple websites that have checklists you can print off. One of my favs is sportscardradio.com, you can also view the entire checklist including autos, print plates, parallels and what not right here in the price guide.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

I don't know what your budget is but I myself always start small. Grab a few pack to preview the product then might see if there are blasters before I go and buy the hobby or jumbo box.

Heres Becketts Checklist for every Reds card in the Database

http://www.beckett.com/search/#term=reds...ort=185223

On the Left you can sort it to your own Specifacations.

Wow! Thanks! I didn't realize that you could do that.

(06-18-2012, 07:34 AM)bbills1999 Wrote: Heres Becketts Checklist for every Reds card in the Database

http://www.beckett.com/search/#term=reds...ort=185223

On the Left you can sort it to your own Specifacations.

Beckett is a great resource for checklists of players and teams. They don't list most unlicensed cards though.
Collecting your favorite team is just fine as a starting point. Collecting 1 teams' cards can get overwhelming and expensive b/c of the sheer # of cards released per team/set/brand/year. Eventually you will want to break it down into mostly just your favorite players. You will need to decide who you want to collect specifically.
I have collected the STL Cardinals since 1987, but eventually I decided to stop trying to get any cards of any of the players and focus only on a few. I still trade for lots of random Cardinals cards, but my top 3 players (listed in my signature) take priority. If someone doesn't have enough cards I need of those three for a trade, I look at my secondary player list (about a dozen players) to see what I don't have. Also, sometimes a particular set design catches your eye and you want to chase down all of those for your team.
It really is up to you as to what you want to collect, but limiting your collection in the beginning will help you a lot in the long run. You don't want to spend a bunch of time and money now collecting a recent draft pick or RC, only to see him out of the league in 3 years. If you have no one in mind to pick as a favorite, check out your teams history and see if one name (or more) grabs you. You could also send PM's to other Reds collectors to ask for their advice. I hope something I typed here will help you enjoy collecting once again.

I'm already finding that to be the case. Plus, it's just too easy to go on eBay and purchase just about any team set that you want, taking the fun out of it in my opinion.

I think I'll take your advice and start off with collecting the current Reds' standout players.

(06-18-2012, 07:56 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: Collecting 1 teams' cards can get overwhelming and expensive b/c of the sheer # of cards released per team/set/brand/year. Eventually you will want to break it down into mostly just your favorite players. You will need to decide who you want to collect specifically.

(06-19-2012, 10:25 AM)vindane78 Wrote: I'm already finding that to be the case. Plus, it's just too easy to go on eBay and purchase just about any team set that you want, taking the fun out of it in my opinion.

I think I'll take your advice and start off with collecting the current Reds' standout players.
I agree that it takes the collecting fun out when you can just click an eBay link and buy every card from a certain set all at once.
However, 'current Reds standout players' can cost you a LOT more cash than you are willing to (or should) part with AND can cost you more now than they would later on.
I'm just trying to help you out. You don't have to take my advice. I only offer it b/c I've been collecting for nearly 30 years and have seen many alterations to the hobby.
I forgot I had this card until after that last post. LMK if you have any interest in this one:

[Image: 2008SPxMysteryRookieRedemptionJBruce.jpg]

Send a PM or post here if it is a card you need or want. Maybe we can work something out for it.