`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Are You a Super Collector?

RE: Why Are You a Super Collector?
I change my main focus to my collection up normally every few months between the different buc players (normally), so I can get several of all the players they get. Am I a supercollector no, am I a dealer no. I keep 95% of the bucs and braves I dont have already. Right now my two main focuses are Doug Martin, and Jason Heyward. Will I move any of the ones I have 99% NO. I won't move it unless I can get another one possibly for cheaper. I wont charge 4x more not a chance that is being a scumbag, and if I do see one for cheaper while I have one I will direct him to it. If I get dupes, and say chargersfan (also going to collect martin) I will try and work out a trade with him for ones he has dupes for.
Betts Hursh Kimbrel Smile

[Image: bd2740c1-d591-4332-b7b1-0528f205c994_zpsdbff6c02.jpg]

(05-22-2012, 04:25 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: This. "Super-collectors" are collectors who need validation from other people.

(Obviously this is just my opinion and probably not a popular one.) :-)
I personally do not need validation from anyone. I know super collecting gets thrown around alot and I am thinking of changing my status to aggressive collecting, for my player PC that is. I collect for my own satisfaction and my own preference, as most do. People that deem themselves super collectors with 50 cards of a player is kinda ridiculous imo. On the other hand, there are numerous PC's that qualify for super collector status without a doubt.

[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

I've pursued Fred Taylor as long and hard as I have because he's always been relatively affordable (especially compared to others with his credentials) and he was the one to really get me hooked in football. Started off just wanting his true rc's, then autos and grew from there.. If anything like me the true SuperOCD collectors (lol) don't like to leave holes in their pc's and chase after something they already had marked off. Dupes would be the exception but even then the incentive would have to be there, helping someone in pursuit of a set, starting a collection, etc. would def qualify.

I like your opinion though it doesn't apply to everyone who labels themselves a super collector but it does apply to quite a few
(05-22-2012, 04:25 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: This. "Super-collectors" are collectors who need validation from other people.

(Obviously this is just my opinion and probably not a popular one.) :-)
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

(05-22-2012, 02:26 PM)xarchmadanx Wrote: I am a supercollector because of personal reasons. I have always been a loyal fan to my team (Steelers) even while living in NEW ENGLAND!! for 24 years. Upon returning back to Pittsburgh, my daughters and I found we could collect cards and have fun doing it together. I have a friend who owns a card shop and put on occasional shows and was able to have Emmanuel Sanders come down and sign for a few hours. Sanders took HIS TIME to hang out, and bs with me and my 9 year old daughter. Taking tons of photos, autographing 8x10s, jerseys, helmets and balls. Just being a cool, down to earth guy with a level head, and apologizing for losing the superbowl to the Pack!
His attitude and time he spent with my daughter meant so much to her, that the following school year one of her class projects was to do a report on someone famous. All the kids picked US Presidents. My daughter came in with a photo album full of her and Emmanuel Sanders pictures together. (She did the project with no parental guidance)
I have put quite a bit into my collecting financially, and maybe someday I can sell my dupes to pay for all of the rest, However, if he stays an average player and never skyrockets to fame, I will continue to grow it and be happy knowing what my collection means to my daughter and I.
"super" story Smile

and this is what collecting SHOULD be about ..... families spending time together, enjoying the hobby, and having fun within it Smile

I wear a cape. But really I didnt make my banner so I didnt add the supercollector part ha. I am a dealer but I am a collector at heart. I will never sell my priceless Keary Colbert Hoard...though it would be literally 10's of dollars. So much coin.

(05-22-2012, 09:06 PM)chads-cards Wrote: I wear a cape. But really I didnt make my banner so I didnt add the supercollector part ha. I am a dealer but I am a collector at heart. I will never sell my priceless Keary Colbert Hoard...though it would be literally 10's of dollars. So much coin.
Same here with my pc guy. Which reminds me I have a gu for you.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

(05-22-2012, 02:08 PM)melcmd Wrote: For better or for worse, I understand what I'm dealing with when negotiating with "dealers".

I understand the personal meaning of an item for a collector. I don't have hundreds of items for any one player, as far as I know. It's hard for me to relate.

I'd like to have more patience when dealing with super collectors. Maybe some are just extreme fans (positive) or just quirky hoarders (negative). Most of us are somewhere in between.
What? You don't understand the Ricky obsession?? Wink I do think of myself as a quirky hoarder...if there's a nice card out there, I want more than one copy. I don't think this makes me a bad person or bad collector. If the card is on that other site, everyone has a shot at it so just bid more than I do and we'll be okay.

Mel, I know you've run in to that on this site more than a time or two...people complaining that someone "outbid" them on their very own PC card and how could anyone have done that??!! It's blasphemy!

Alternatively, if I have the last card you need for a set then we can talk reasonably. Unfortunately there are way too many "supercollectors" out there who hold hostage cards in hopes of selling them to recoup 1/2 of the costs of their own PC. (there are more than a few on this site btw) I think it's a bit disgraceful for the hobby.

Devil's advocate: If they've got all the cards, they get to set the price. If someone wants all 5 of something, what's wrong with that? Who says you have to share with the entire rest of the collecting nation? If the cards are available to everyone on a public site, then go for it and if you need it that bad you'll find a way to make it yours. Just sayin'.

I had to way overpay for the last one in this series, but I did what it took...the numbers are hard to see, but 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3.
[Image: SapphireBooks2-2.jpg]
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

I too am going after multiple copies of a certain card of my favorite player. It's my favorite card out of my favorite set and I want all ten copies made. I don't know if that will ever happen but I have half of the print run. I don't think that makes me a bad person just because I decided I wanted all ten of them. It's not to hold them hostage to other collectors or to even sell them for more. If I get them, they are going nowhere ever. And, I bought the 5 I have individually on that other site so everybody had a chance at getting them.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

Here's my two Lincolns worth, as far as super collecting goes I think it's really not for the person doing the collection to decide if they are or not, I think others will/should make that decision. I think of my T Jax PC as more of a " special collection ". Is it super? Maybe to some, maybe not to others. Do I care if others think it is not super? No, I honestly don't care. My PC is for me to enjoy, I share it here because I know a few others who seem to like it and like seeing it and additions to it. As far as needing all 5/5 or 10/10 yeah it would be a nice accomplishment but it's not something I think I need to do to validate my collection.

I collect T Jax because while I was spending a month in the hospital recovering from 3 surgeries in 4 days I started snooping around the internet on my laptop and found cards to be appealing after being out if the hobby for around 5 years. The very first card I bought and to be honest the first card I saw that made me say wow I like that was a 2009 Topps finest Tyson Jackson auto patch. From there I did more Jackson searching and slowly started to pick up a few until it was a full blown obsession. Today I have a very extensive Jackson PC that I truly love to look at. With that being said I have realized that having 5-6 of the same card is nice but it's really not needed for me. After speaking with a couple ladies here on Beckett I've come to realize that duplicates that are in my PC for no other reason than the fact that I liked the card and grabbed 1 or 2 or sometimes 5 more would be more appreciated by someone who doesn't have that card or have the certain numbering of that card they collect. For this reason I've got a thing or two in mind which I'm sure you all will see come to fruition in the coming weeks.

As most of you know I also have a thing for sets and for every Chiefs card ever made lol. In my mind, and depending on the situation and the person needing it, I have no problem giving up a Chiefs card or even passing on or giving up a set piece. My main issue here is if it's going to someone such as Wendy, Jeff, Mel or any other person that I know will complete the set and not just give it a try then sell what they have, I'm all for helping out and giving from my PC. On the other hand if I don't know you that well or don't know your going to do what it takes, be it 5 months or 5 years to complete the set, then I'm probably not even going to consider it. It's not that I don't like people or that I have a person issue it's just simply that I've seen to many " freebies " or PC/set pieces I've sent someone end up for sale in other forums or on eBay if not for trade somewhere.

To sum it up, I have no problem sending someone something from my collection be it individual player PC, set, or Chiefs PC if it's for a good reason and going to a good person. I think if you look around its not that hard to find some of my T Jax, Houston, or Chiefs in others collections/sets.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641