`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Grading Gamble.........

The Grading Gamble.........
Forgive me for my rambling thoughts but I am in the process of making some big changes to my PC which as it stands today is almost exclusively graded football cards. (BGS/BVG) I have been trading or selling off most of my new "star" cards in favor of HOFers.

There are two major gambles as I see it. 1) the card you buy online doesn't grade out to be what it was advertised as, 2) the card is mis-graded on a given day by a given grader. Before you jump me on #2, I will tell you that I have sent several cards to be graded only to break them out of their slabs when I get them back, send them back to Beckett and get a higher grade....so I know it happens.

Another struggle is buy a card at a bargain if it is truly as good of condition as the seller says it is and have it graded...or just buy it graded in the first place...both have worked for me but some cards are really tough....I have sent in 3 1986 Jerry Rice RCs...I bought them all for between $23-$28 and spent usually around $15 to have them graded....all came back BGS 8...which books for $60 so I haven't lost anything but I can buy one on ebay already graded 8 for about the same....

I guess since I no longer buy wax packs...sending cards in to be graded and waiting for the results fill that need. By the way, this really doesn't pertain to the new cards...for the most part if I really look at a new card it comes back 9 or 9.5...it's the old cards that are tricky.

I have a 1950 Bowman Joe Perry RC and a 1958 Topps Jim Brown RC..both are graded BVG 6...BUT the Jim Brown card is so much nicer than the Joe Perry you just have to wonder which is more accurate but they should not be the same grade.

So these are the thoughts I struggle with when dealing with graded cards.....oh and the mystery of cards that have come back saying they are altered or something..I have one like that right now that I should get back this week...I have also got cards that came back saying altered and I've sent them back and recieved a decent grade...so you just don't know.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: The Grading Gamble.........
I suppose that just like in any industry, you have some people who are better at their jobs than others. BVG is tough to swallow sometimes since you don't get subgrades to explain the grade you recieve.

(04-26-2012, 09:26 AM)greco827 Wrote: I suppose that just like in any industry, you have some people who are better at their jobs than others. BVG is tough to swallow sometimes since you don't get subgrades to explain the grade you recieve.
Totally agree, what drives me crazy it looking at two BVG cards with the same grade and one "looks" far superior...would just like to know why sometimes. Loved your response to BGS vs. PSA, very well thought out and I agree with your reasoning which is why I too prefer BGS/BVG.
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

(04-26-2012, 10:24 AM)dmasci Wrote: Totally agree, what drives me crazy it looking at two BVG cards with the same grade and one "looks" far superior...would just like to know why sometimes. Loved your response to BGS vs. PSA, very well thought out and I agree with your reasoning which is why I too prefer BGS/BVG.
I have had the same issue. 5's that look better than a 7. Problem is we don't know which area the card got downgraded on. Surface is especially hard to evaluate, especially on older non-glossy cards. And also, we don't know who graded them. It would be interesting to know if grader X consistently grades lower than grader Y, but that is never going to happen, and would probably lead to a witch hunt if we ever found out.

I just got a 1969 Gale Sayers in the mail today that is graded BVG 7, I know it's hard to tell since it's in the case but man it looks flawless to me. Probably some top to bottom centering that you can tell on the back perhaps...can't tell from the front because there are no borders...it may be one worth sending through again...we will have to just see.

(04-26-2012, 10:24 AM)dmasci Wrote: Totally agree, what drives me crazy it looking at two BVG cards with the same grade and one "looks" far superior...would just like to know why sometimes.
I've post this before, but it's worth another look:
http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/vi...icleId=304
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-23-2012, 07:08 PM)dmasci Wrote: I have one like that right now that I should get back this week...I have also got cards that came back saying altered and I've sent them back and recieved a decent grade...so you just don't know.
Mixed bag in this group of cards, the new card I sent in came back 9.5 which I expected.

The 1962 Topps Jim Brown came back a 5 which is about what I expected...I really just wanted it slabbed.

The mystery is a 1960 Joe Perry card....this is only an $8 card not worth much at all that I bought off ebay for a couple bucks. It looked pretty good and I wanted it slabbed so I sent it in. It was returned ungraded and the note said shaved/uneven edge and it circled the top left part of the picture to show where. I took out the most powerful magnifying glass I have and see nothing and who would take the time to mess with a card worth less than $10? They say that they realize that the technology in the factories back in the 60s is not what it is today but yet they don't always grade that way.

Oh well, no biggy just another example of you really don't know what to expect when you have humans grading cards. I would send it back in to see but I already spent more sending it in once than the card is worth.