`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this card Poor, Fair or Good?

RE: Is this card Poor, Fair or Good?
Card is 100% authentic for those wondering. It has the one sign that I always use on raw '33 Goudey cards to distinguish it as such.

Notice on the front, the red bar at the bottom that says "BIG LEAGUE". Now, look at the bottom of the back and you can make out the very faint red ink along the back. This was from the printing process where by the sheets were printed and put on top of each other before they had a chance to fully dry, thus light ink on the bottom of the back. You will never see this on a fake/reprint.

Unfortunately, there are cards from the '33 set that just were not printed with the red bar at the bottom so they are a little more tricky but this one is the real deal. It's a great card to have in the PC regardless of condition, a true classic.

(04-16-2012, 09:33 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Card is 100% authentic for those wondering. It has the one sign that I always use on raw '33 Goudey cards to distinguish it as such.

Notice on the front, the red bar at the bottom that says "BIG LEAGUE". Now, look at the bottom of the back and you can make out the very faint red ink along the back. This was from the printing process where by the sheets were printed and put on top of each other before they had a chance to fully dry, thus light ink on the bottom of the back. You will never see this on a fake/reprint.

Unfortunately, there are cards from the '33 set that just were not printed with the red bar at the bottom so they are a little more tricky but this one is the real deal. It's a great card to have in the PC regardless of condition, a true classic.
Very interesting...I can't really see the ink on the bottom back like you describe but I'm gonna remember that tip!

How much of a value difference is there from a 1 to a 1.5? Can't be that much right?
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(04-17-2012, 02:51 PM)iconms Wrote: Very interesting...I can't really see the ink on the bottom back like you describe but I'm gonna remember that tip!

How much of a value difference is there from a 1 to a 1.5? Can't be that much right?
Yeah, it's definitely one of those things that you wouldn't normally notice unless you were made aware of it and even then, it's still tough to see sometimes. Once you've seen it a few times though, you can see it with a quick glance. It's usually very faint. Here's my best bet at blowing up the lower left corner of the card from the OP. The green lines outline the red tint which is very vague in this one. BUT, it's something to look for sometimes. It's not always going to be present but I've seen it plenty of times to know that it's not rare and is a good indicator of a legit card. With that said, you still have to worry about alterations.
[Image: goudey.png]

I tried this for the first time on a lot I picked up off of ebay about 10 years ago. It was a solid lot of vintage baseball, football, and some basketball. The oddball in there was a '33 Goudey Ruth. Strange that it was put in the lot but whatever. I noticed the faint red line on the back bottom in the scan and went ahead and bought the lot to flip. I got the Ruth, it graded out as a VG 3 by PSA, sold it and was paid exactly what I paid for the lot itself so everything else was gravy.

I have no idea what the price differential would be between a 1 and 1.5. At that point, I don't think it really matters and comes down to the overall eye appeal of the card.

(04-15-2012, 01:09 PM)Fballguy Wrote: Hi there...Just wondering what condition you guys would consider this card to be. Thanks for your help.

[Image: Gehrig4front.jpg]

[Image: LouGehrigIIBack.jpg]

Fballguy
Here is the thing man. It's a poor condition card but far from a poor piece to your collection. We all understand your unhappy with the answer here, but you did in fact ask. I'm sorry it's poor, I wish I had better news but I don't. The fact still remains poor or fair it's a great card and has some real value. It's just not easy to pull a better grade out of a card that looks like this, no matter who or what it is.

Just remember a poor for this card is better than mint for many. Be thankful you have the card in any condition. Congrats!
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html