`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions: When to Increase Protection for Cards

RE: Opinions: When to Increase Protection for Cards
I use penny sleeves, toploaders, and wrap with a team bag for everything. Screw downs/One touch holders can damage a card very easily if there is a piece of plastic that slides in there or whatever when you are closing it. Top Loaders all the way for me, lighter, save space, and in my opinion the safest bet
Collecting Eric Hosmer and Alex Gordon
[Image: tperks.gif]
Do not trade list: charbs1111

I used to put cards in my bike spokes years and years ago, so my opinion is to not get wrapped up too much about condition. Almost anyone who buys sportscards these days is concerned about condition, so unless you're sorting and re-organizing your cards on a daily basis, I suggest using penny sleeves and boxes / albums for the bulk, and top loaders for your more valuable stuff. Oh, and by the way, don't throw your cards around, or leave them out for pets to chew on, mom to throw away, etc.
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

i use penny sleeves and top loaders for anything over $5 and for the hi value ($50+) i put into megnetic holders and every complete set i finish goes into top loaders

(04-09-2012, 08:24 AM)bryandavidknight Wrote: I go with penny sleeve on anything over $1 or is a star RC or insert. Anything $5 or above goes in a followed and the only things that go in screwdowns or magnetics are PC stuff I have on display. I have a bunch of $40-$100 stuff in toploaders just because they don't take up near as much room in my boxes and in my opinion they are just as safe in toploaders.
I'm with bryandavidknight on this. I actually went as far as taking cards out of screw downs and putting them into top loaders to conserve on space. I collect Mickey Mantle pack-pulled autos and all are in penny sleeves and top-loaders (including my musial/mantle/yaz)...and they range from 600$ to a couple $800 cards. Its about how they are stored once they are in the case thats important. Just be careful your dog doesnt let her water bowl beard drip over your box while your putting cards away. Sad
(04-09-2012, 09:52 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: What about the top of it? It lets the card be exposed to air.

What is this?
Not sure what air would do? Not exactly a bag of chips. I only say that because in 1995 my grandpa handed me a cardboard box that was in his swampy garage for 35 years with cards from the 1950-1960's...some have graded a 9. And none of the cards seem to have air damage. If anything I worry about those old school top loaders that turned yellow with age...i'd imagine that without a sleeve they would be damaged.

The comments on air damage brings up a good question/comment. How sensitive are cards today vs vitage to temperature change. At one time I had my cards up in my attic above my garage. Keeps them dry but my attic is not climate controlled, so when it's hot, its hot up in the attic. When it's cold, it's cold up in the attic. I live in Georgia, so the air can get humid as well. I've since brought them inside and put them in a closet (not a huge collection, as you can imagine).

How big of a deal is it to store cards, from whatever year group, in an unclimate controlled, but dry, environment. For instance, how many people have rented (or rent) those storage bins that you see on shows like Storage Wars and store cards in there?
Dave J.

Collecting current and former Georgia Tech sports stars, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Albert Pujols

(04-09-2012, 09:52 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: What about the top of it? It lets the card be exposed to air.
Wow that seems to be extream just think about how long it would take for air to break down the card. I have had cards in holders for 20 years and I have not seen a change in them yet. I do get your point but to buy magnet cases for every card thats $40.00 and up might be a bit much and I am sure the magnetic case dosen't fully stop the air. I would worry about sunlight before air. But for me I still store most of my cards in a holder but my PC items I take them and every 30 cards I cover them with paper and blue tape after I scan them so I can see them wothout opening the paper covering them. Then I put them in a fire proof safe. All of these cards will be graded one day as well. But to send 1000 cards would be to much money and I need to worry about my final 5 cards I need before doing that.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]