`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big undertaking, but couldn't be happier

big undertaking, but couldn't be happier
As many of you know I post (sometimes annoyingly) about ways to reach out using sports cards. I do a lot of work with our communities church association and one of the problems they encounter is that of the same group of people coming in every month for assistance. Now not that this is a bad thing but they have decided to try some things to give them what they call "a hand up" instead of "a hand out". Well one big project we have started is developing micro-businesses. I made a proposal about selecting 4-6 youth for a selected time period and start eBay businesses on the side. I will help them manage inventory and an assigned mentory will help with money. Each kid will get a checking and savings account setup (that has an adult mentor added to it), and will agree that a portion will go to the savings (for future education), a portion will help with their household bills (we will pick the most pressing bill or also clothes, shoes etc.), a portion will go to inventory, and finally some for the child to have as spending money. The goal is that after the period of time is up, we are kicking around perhaps a year, the youth will have enough business knowledge and capital to hopefully sustain it in some way. They will have access to the associations computer lab after school (with adult supervision) to scan items, add items, buy. We are working on a starting "package" that each kid will receive, coming from my collection, donations, as well as a portion of money that the association will donate. I know it seems like a long shot, but can't think of anything better than if this takes off for these kids....

RE: big undertaking, but couldn't be happier
i hope it works out for you it sounds like a great idea

pm sent

If you guys are setup as a nonprofit I usually donate my commons at the end of the year

(03-06-2012, 08:15 PM)jd2k2003 Wrote: If you guys are setup as a nonprofit I usually donate my commons at the end of the year
We sure are, let me know whenever your ready to send some out and I will forward on the information.

(03-06-2012, 08:25 PM)poolesidesports Wrote: We sure are, let me know whenever your ready to send some out and I will forward on the information.
forward it to me too plz. i sent you a pm before . Lmk , thanks