`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Appreciation of vintage values

Appreciation of vintage values
First let me say I am a collector and have no intention of selling my vintage. I do, however, wonder if vintage prices have reached their maximum. For example, I bought a '49 Bowman Stan Musial. I looked back through past issues of Beckett to check the value. The '06 Aug/Sept, the June '09 and the April '12 issues all show the value as the same. Do you think through the years there will be any uptick in values of vintage or is this the top? Thanks in advance for any/all comments.
It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

RE: Appreciation of vintage values
only time will tell....

I think value will change a little but the grading had put it all at a stand still IMO.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

Interesting thread. Smile I'll subscribe to this thread. Smile
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(03-04-2012, 01:27 PM)baseballmason Wrote: First let me say I am a collector and have no intention of selling my vintage. I do, however, wonder if vintage prices have reached their maximum. For example, I bought a '49 Bowman Stan Musial. I looked back through past issues of Beckett to check the value. The '06 Aug/Sept, the June '09 and the April '12 issues all show the value as the same. Do you think through the years there will be any uptick in values of vintage or is this the top? Thanks in advance for any/all comments.
The appeal of vintage from a monetary standpoint is that it will not LOSE value. Unless you accidentally bend your 1957 Pee-Wee Reese card while putting it into a top-loader. No, wait. That's just me.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

(03-04-2012, 01:27 PM)baseballmason Wrote: First let me say I am a collector and have no intention of selling my vintage. I do, however, wonder if vintage prices have reached their maximum. For example, I bought a '49 Bowman Stan Musial. I looked back through past issues of Beckett to check the value. The '06 Aug/Sept, the June '09 and the April '12 issues all show the value as the same. Do you think through the years there will be any uptick in values of vintage or is this the top? Thanks in advance for any/all comments.
On average, vintage values have declined considerably since the collecting boom of the late 80's, when the baby boomers were reliving their childhoods. Pick up a late 80's Beckett and compare to one from this decade, they are readily available on eBay. That was their peak.

They declined again in 2007 but BV's did not reflect the economic downturn.

They will not increase in value, they will only continue to decline as less and less people have the desire to collect players they never saw play.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

Its sad but you usually see an uptick when the older players pass on. This usually affects the rookies more than most. Another one is when they hit 100 years old. Look back in your issues and see the price of T-206 1909-11 and then look at the newest one. Since then they have doubled in value. You can also see the prices change again good or bad for the news media.

Just also got to remember that the prices are only a guide. They can sell higher and lower than what the book shows. 1990s inserts are one example.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Let me throw another thought in the ring. Does the passing of a superstar like Musial do anything to the value? For example, when Mr. Musial passes (hate to think of the day) will there be a rise in value? I know there will not be any more or less of his existing cards but would it effect pricing? Did the '52 Mantle go up after his death?
(03-04-2012, 01:44 PM)baseballmason Wrote: Let me throw another thought in the ring. Does the passing of a superstar like Musial do anything to the value? For example, when Mr. Musial passes (hate to think of the day) will there be a rise in value? I know there will not be any more or less of his existing cards but would it effect pricing? Did the '52 Mantle go up after his death?
Thanks wayne - didn't see your reply before I added this last question.
It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

I can't see vintage going up, or even really maintaining where it is, for the long term. The only way vintage maintains or goes up is if there are new collectors joining the market. Just looking at these boards, it seems that most collectors are after the hot hit and latest rookies. I've been able to trade hot prospects for HOFers.

It just seems collecting has changed, and it's moving away from caring about the history. Even if I were a big Mickey Mantle fan, he has a dozen new cards every year at this point. As the older collectors leave the hobby, and their collections rejoin the market, it just doesn't seem there are as many new vintage collectors to replace them.

My humble opinion thinks they will hold value and the stars will go up with time as long as the sport and hobby stay strong. It seems more and more collectors are starting to gravitate towards vintage cards (more so towards the older stars) since the "monopoly of Topps" and the craze of the big hit and $300 packs wane down. Again, just my experience is the longer someone collects, the older the cards they collect...

Have over 1,800 different Barry Larkin's and looking for more...