`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I need a new collecting direction

I need a new collecting direction
So I think I've mostly satisfied my Chicago White Sox PC. Got my Aparicio, added a ton to my Frank Thomas, got some nice Venturas, and some of my favorite players from the past decade. I'll probably add a card or two that I really just think is cool, but mostly I'm closing the chapter on this book.

I've also had a ton of fun obtaining a bunch of Cubbies cards for my son. Lots of autos and game-used of todays stars, and some pretty neat rookies from my childhood for him, and some nice cards of today's prospects.

I even found some awesome racing cards. Got a killer /25 Prodominent Pieces Carl Edwards, a Carl auto, and another handful of my favorite driver's low numbered cards.

And I've got some fun football cards on the way.

I tried my hand at my Kimball Champions set from 2011 and have about half. But I'm just kind of "eh" about the set. And a shame, cause I traded a ton of cool cards for those.

So here's where I'm at: I don't want to collect cards to put in a box, or even in a binder, that sits on shelf, or worse in a closet. I want to collect cool cards, and put them on display for my viewing pleasure every day. And to show my son. I like on card autos. I hate sticker autos. I like game used cards. I don't really like patches. I don't really like high numbered or non-numbered parallels. I do like low numbered cards of todays stars. I don't really like prospect cards. I do like rookie cards of years past (Ryne Sandberg comes to mind). I don't like spending more than $20 on a single card....unless it's just ridiculously awesome.

Help me out people. Where do I go from here?
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

RE: I need a new collecting direction
If you want to collect stuff to display and show to your son, why not try some vintage stuff? Doesn't have to be a Mantle or Mays, find a player or players that you connect with. For example, I started collecting Brooklyn Dodgers stuff because of Duke Snider. He has been a fairly inexpensive player to collect and I have some really cool stuff to display and stories to tell. This way, both you and your son would be able to learn the history of the game and appreciate today's game a little bit more. I feel that finding game used or autos of these players brings me a little closer to baseball history. Once again, these don't have to be the top shelf guys. There are a lot of quirky players throughout baseball that you could get in to.
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends

(03-03-2012, 11:04 PM)rpspenner Wrote: If you want to collect stuff to display and show to your son, why not try some vintage stuff? Doesn't have to be a Mantle or Mays, find a player or players that you connect with. For example, I started collecting Brooklyn Dodgers stuff because of Duke Snider. He has been a fairly inexpensive player to collect and I have some really cool stuff to display and stories to tell. This way, both you and your son would be able to learn the history of the game and appreciate today's game a little bit more. I feel that finding game used or autos of these players brings me a little closer to baseball history. Once again, these don't have to be the top shelf guys. There are a lot of quirky players throughout baseball that you could get in to.
Thanks for the feedback. I really will consider this. I picked up my 56 Topps Aparicio for $15. Granted it isn't in great shape, but I'm perfectly OK with that.... This is really a good idea.

What else do you guys have for me?
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

You say you like game used? how bout looking at the 2001 Bowman Heritage Seat Relic cards? I saw some on the BAY for around $5.00 ish range. Those are a neat alternative to your everyday jersey or bat relics. Justa thought!
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

Topps sterling has some cool stuff. Might be able to find some lower end (but still Really cool) cards to display for a decent price. Should be low numbered, and you can pick and choose your game used. Should be predominantly established veterans, and legends in those. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
[Image: 9cef0db8.jpg]

Always interested in quality Barnes, Red Sox, and Patriots

(03-04-2012, 12:15 AM)75toppsfan Wrote: You say you like game used? how bout looking at the 2001 Bowman Heritage Seat Relic cards? I saw some on the BAY for around $5.00 ish range. Those are a neat alternative to your everyday jersey or bat relics. Justa thought!
I like this idea, too. A more affordable alternative to relic collecting. I enjoy stadium relics. I'd take an Ebbets Field seat over a white square of "jersey" any day.
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends

maybe look to start puttting together some auto sets with hof's in it

There are the original T206s..... Smile

(03-04-2012, 03:08 PM)rpspenner Wrote: I like this idea, too. A more affordable alternative to relic collecting. I enjoy stadium relics. I'd take an Ebbets Field seat over a white square of "jersey" any day.
Yeah, stumble onto them digging around for Heritage cards, I was gonna get a couple, but decided to put my blinders on and focus on the Heritage Chrome I've been looking for!! LOL!! Smile
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

Based on what you like, I'd go with vintage or a decent size on-card autograph set from the late 90's or early 2000's. You can go many directions with vintage. With the long history of the White Sox, you can do vintage team sets.
Collecting T205 and Baseball HOF autos (currently at 116 of 298)