IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BV vs Sale Value

RE: BV vs Sale Value
Just wanna make sure I don't overpay

(03-02-2012, 05:57 PM)diablo71 Wrote: +1 I think this is a wise move... To me showing people what the cards are actually selling for can help in negotiation at a show.
You must have some really dense dealers at a show if they're selling to you by ebay prices. Sorry, but come try that where I live and you'll get your azz kicked out.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(03-02-2012, 06:14 PM)Num1Monroefan Wrote: Just wanna make sure I don't overpay
It's easy.

Step 1: Determine how much you are comfortable paying.
Step 2: Don't pay more than that amount.
Congratulations! You didn't overpay! (Notice there is nothing in step 1 about researching SV or BV)

See what I am getting at? You are asking Ebay and Beckett to justify your purchase price to you. Therein lies your problem...

So I'm a Rams fan and I would pay say 60% bv for a Steven Jackson auto because he's one of my guys but you to you in California he's a nobody and not worth 25% where is the truth in sv here?
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(03-02-2012, 06:03 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: You don't have a sell value.... you have an Ebay value. You looked at Ebay and took that as a sell value. (Which is every bit as faulty as trying to extrapolate the Beckett BV as the end-all-be-all of values, if not more so)

I use BV as a guide. If I don't want to trade it for BV, I won't. And I wouldn't feel as though I owed anyone an explanation for it. Unfortunately, some people are so worried about what their cards are "worth", that this debate is actually relevant.

As for the general complaint that "the BV is 60, but it sells for 400", you can't honestly expect Beckett to accurately and continuously update pricing on billions of cards, do you? Just like Pbean said, this is where common sense comes in. Beckett is to be used as a guide, not a price listing for every card known to man.
No i don't ... but I dont want someone asking me to trade a 98 preferred precious metals Griffey BCV 60 for a card with a BV for 120 that sells for 25% of book value... when i decline think I am being unfair... THAT IS WHERE THIS BV VS SV COMES FROM... peoples inablity to be REAL about what is fair.... And from what i read on the boards this happens a lot....

AND Am I wrong to think that quite a bit of the pricing is out of date???? If it is being used as a GUIDE, you cant be that far off (outdated) on a ton of stuff.. Otherwise any one of us could comes up with a price guide and claim it to be a BV and be just as RIGHT as Beckett... that is my problem! And since Beckett is the only real (i use that term loosley) to determine BV they should update their overall data bases more regulary. Dont you think??
(03-02-2012, 06:19 PM)totally sports Wrote: So I'm a Rams fan and I would pay say 60% bv for a Steven Jackson auto because he's one of my guys but you to you in California he's a nobody and not worth 25% where is the truth in sv here?
whatever you can sell it for... simple as that... BV means nothing!!!
(03-02-2012, 06:16 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: You must have some really dense dealers at a show if they're selling to you by ebay prices. Sorry, but come try that where I live and you'll get your azz kicked out.
If i can buy it for cheaper than what you are offering i would rather get it cheaper... am I wrong??? I would use it as a bargaining chip only if the dealer was charging more... Am I wrong??

[quote='diablo71' pid='1924789' dateline='1330730351']

No i don't ... but I dont want someone asking me to trade a 98 preferred precious metals Griffey BCV 60 for a card with a BV for 120 that sells for 25% of book value... when i decline think I am being unfair... THAT IS WHERE THIS BV VS SV COMES FROM... peoples inablity to be REAL about what is fair.... And from what i read on the boards this happens a lot....

AND Am I wrong to think that quite a bit of the pricing is out of date???? If it is being used as a GUIDE, you cant be that far off (outdated) on a ton of stuff.. Otherwise any one of us could comes up with a price guide and claim it to be a BV and be just as RIGHT as Beckett... that is my problem! And since Beckett is the only real (i use that term loosley) to determine BV they should update their overall data bases more regulary. Dont you think??

If i can buy it for cheaper than what you are offering i would rather get it cheaper... am I wrong??? I would use it as a bargaining chip only if the dealer was charging more... Am I wrong??
Well that would depend on where I am selling it at then and if I was trading with you I would get a lot less than I would with someone whos a Jackson fan so its still not real.

[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(03-02-2012, 06:14 PM)Num1Monroefan Wrote: Just wanna make sure I don't overpay

I agree, that is why i would do research and find the best price. Unless there is no data in which case pay what you are willing to pay and you didnt overpay....

(03-02-2012, 06:25 PM)totally sports Wrote: [quote='diablo71' pid='1924789' dateline='1330730351']

Well that would depend on where I am selling it at then and if I was trading with you I would get a lot less than I would with someone whos a Jackson fan so its still not real.
I agree becasue trade value is based upon what somoene is willing to swap you for a card they want/need.
That is the issue between trading and selling something.. You can probably get more in return from trading with someone who really wants your card over someone who wants your card to sell it...

Trade value is totally different than SV/BV and that is a whole another issue in its own.. That is a problem IMO. you can not link the two issues together.....
I would trade 100 book value for 20 BV if i can get the card i really need for my set..

(03-02-2012, 06:19 PM)diablo71 Wrote: If i can buy it for cheaper than what you are offering i would rather get it cheaper... am I wrong??? I would use it as a bargaining chip only if the dealer was charging more... Am I wrong??
It's not wrong, that's your choice. But knowing 99% of ebay sellers have little/no overhead and dealers at the show are minimally paying the setup fees, they aren't going to appreciate the ebay pricing. At least not the dealers I work with.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(03-02-2012, 07:06 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: It's not wrong, that's your choice. But knowing 99% of ebay sellers have little/no overhead and dealers at the show are minimally paying the setup fees, they aren't going to appreciate the ebay pricing. At least not the dealers I work with.
I understand the conflict there.. I really do. The best way to handle that if i were looking for a card would probably see what they were willing to sell it for and if they didnt go below what i know i could get it for just say NO thank You. No reason push on them... GOOD point

WELL PLAYED Smile

(03-02-2012, 05:45 PM)BoiJay Wrote: I have a card I have been trying to put a value on but NONE have sold on the bay.. It's only #'d/5 so maybe none have been pulled.. What do you do in that case?

I also had a Cam Newton card increase from $6 to $60 in a week but none of them sold on the bay recently. How would you suggest a value on that?

I think it depends if you're trading or selling. So far with everyone I have traded with, we have used BV in trade. When I sell I usually check out a few places for prices and go from that. To each their own...
According to Beckett, they have card shops that report sale values to them. Thats why I asked you that question in the last couple months, ebay is only a small part of the equation.
Looking for all Kirby Puckett I do not have! Have 805 unique Puckett cards, rest listed as wants.